Russia signs tank productioin deal with Pakistan

fieldmarshal

Russia signs tank productioin deal with Pakistan

link http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/003200407110304.htm
MOSCOW, July 11. (PTI): Russia's top battle tank plant today signed a production deal with Pakistan, a day after the country's Foreign Minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri held talks with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov.

The 'tank production' deal between Uralvagonzavod plant and Islamabad was signed on the sidelines of "UralArmsExpo" exhibition in Nizhny Tagil in the Sverdlovsk region, Itar-Tass reported quoting an official of local defence industries.

"We can say that tank-production cotracts between Uralvagonzavod and Pakistan have been clinched," Director of the union of regionl defence industry Viktor Batuyev was quoted as saying by the agency without giving any details.

After his talks with Lavrov yesterday, Kasuri said both Moscow and Islamabad had agreed to ugrade their bilateral relations, while the Russian Foreign Minister said no concrete defence cooperation plans were discussed by them.

Earlier Nizhny Tagil- based Uralvagonzavod - world's largest tank production facility - has supplied over 300 T-90S main battle tanks to India to restore the imbalance created by the sale of T-80UD tanks to Pakistan by Ukraine

fieldmarshal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
this news item was also reported by nation & geo, but i dont know cuz the russian fm has been quoted as sayin that russia will not sell any weapons to Pak. but i dont know cuz the swede fm said that they will not sell any weapons to Pak but they did.

mysterious

Well the thing is that the Swedes didnt catagorize the Erieye as a 'weapon' my friend. Its the play of words that is at work over here in these issues. ;)

fieldmarshal

the t-59 n 69 are being upgraded to al-zarrar so they are not being fased out, though after the upgraded they bwcome totally diff tanks, its like a 180degree diff. it might be Pak is lookin to set up some production facility to produce engines for al-khalid n al-zarrar

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
fieldmarshal said:
this news item was also reported by nation & geo, but i dont know cuz the russian fm has been quoted as sayin that russia will not sell any weapons to Pak. but i dont know cuz the swede fm said that they will not sell any weapons to Pak but they did.
The Russians have stated that they have not signed any deal with Pakistan on tanks. I'll chase up some sources ASAP

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Imbalance created by T-80s???? God almighty, like what do they think the T-80 is a merkava?This is just a lame excuse to get more amrs out of the government. The T-80 hardly created a balance when the indians say its an IMBALANCE. :roll

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Russian denial

As stated earlier - this is the source. It's an OSINT internal doc, so links unavail.

MOSCOW/ISLAMABAD

Russia’s sole arms exporting body “Rosoboronexport†(ROE) State Corporation “unequivocally rejected†an earlier Itar-Tass report about deals between the country’s top tank manufacturer Uralvagonzavod and Pakistan on the sidelines of just-ended UralArmsExpo exhibition in Nizhny Tail (Urals region of Russia.) Asked about the denial, Pakistan Foreign Ministry spokesman Masood Khan told reporters that the “transaction†was not discussed during the just-concluded visit of Foreign Minister Khurshid Muhamed Kasuri to Moscow.

“We are self sufficient in manufacture of tanks. We are not discussing this transaction with the government of Russia.†However, Khan added that Pakistan-Russian relations have made major strides in economic and commercial strides and “as we go along, we can co-operate productively in the fields of defense, energy and metallurgy.†Khan also said Kasuri had a successful visit to Moscow.

“He will talk about it later in detail.†In Moscow, a ROE spokesman, who wished anonymity told PTI: “We unequivocally reject the very idea of such sort of contract between Russian defense industries and Pakistan authorities. Actually we have no military-technical cooperation with Pakistan and in this particular area Rosoboronexport strictly adjusts its marketing strategy to clear-cut policy of the Russan leadership.â€

Roger Smith

Re: Russian denial

gf0012-aust said:
As stated earlier - this is the source. It's an OSINT internal doc, so links unavail.

MOSCOW/ISLAMABAD

Russia’s sole arms exporting body “Rosoboronexport†(ROE) State Corporation “unequivocally rejected†an earlier Itar-Tass report about deals between the country’s top tank manufacturer Uralvagonzavod and Pakistan on the sidelines of just-ended UralArmsExpo exhibition in Nizhny Tail (Urals region of Russia.) Asked about the denial, Pakistan Foreign Ministry spokesman Masood Khan told reporters that the “transaction†was not discussed during the just-concluded visit of Foreign Minister Khurshid Muhamed Kasuri to Moscow.

“We are self sufficient in manufacture of tanks. We are not discussing this transaction with the government of Russia.†However, Khan added that Pakistan-Russian relations have made major strides in economic and commercial strides and “as we go along, we can co-operate productively in the fields of defense, energy and metallurgy.†Khan also said Kasuri had a successful visit to Moscow.

“He will talk about it later in detail.†In Moscow, a ROE spokesman, who wished anonymity told PTI: “We unequivocally reject the very idea of such sort of contract between Russian defense industries and Pakistan authorities. Actually we have no military-technical cooperation with Pakistan and in this particular area Rosoboronexport strictly adjusts its marketing strategy to clear-cut policy of the Russian leadership.â€
The same news I read in several media that the Russian are denying any contract or deal on tanks with Pakistan.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Re: Russian denial

Roger Smith said:
The same news I read in several media that the Russian are denying any contract or deal on tanks with Pakistan.
Thanks Roger. An OSINT report is an Outside Source Intel-report. It scrapes for web based articles and then sends the results as a "bundle" to the recipient. ie They don't provide the links when found.

Hence why some people (like yourself) will be able to identify some articles esp if they appear in local media.

yasin_khan

Pakistan will buy tank from Russia..........

I have heared the news in TV that Pakistan is buying some new tanks from Russia. :?

adsH

i don't think its tanks, it would be stupid to assume Russia would sell the same spec Tanks to Pak as the ones sold to India. and anything Lower spec from the T-90 is no good since Pak Army has Alkhalid production. i think this is a Three-ways deal for APC's the US want's to provide Pak army with APC's to support them in Wana. i think Pak army needs about 1000 new or second hand APC's, Al talha and i think its Mahafiz are being tested and so initial production would be too slow. the US would not give Pak army funds to Buys Chinese APC's. that leaves only one cheap source of APC's and that is Russia.
it makes more sense since Pak army is getting Mi17 and Mi 35 (still in talks) for antiterrorism operations in the Frontier province. the APC and armored Vehicles are required by the frontier forces currently engaged there in the frontier province.
i think one reason why the russian tank producers denied such a deal, might be that Pak army may have approached the Russian military to Buy off there reserves and then if they need more they would buy more modern APC from the russian production line ,
the Old APC's would have to be Upgraded and overhauled so the only place they could do that would be at Tank producers.
i would say a MOU might have been signed.

Salman78

Pakistan producing any tanks with Russia ? Dosnt make any sense. We already have what we wanted. A bunch of T-80UD's to spear head the onslaught of Al-khalid's and Al-zarrar's.

Whatever help we need in tank production/upgrade/modification can be fulfilled by Ukranian or Chineese help. Pakistan's main push must be towards upgrading its Air Force and not wasting money on stuff we r already self sufficiant in.

And yes indians will always be cry babies and even a single tank or F-16 would always create imbalance (in their minds thats is). Their media is very biased and hyprocritical and i couldnt help laughing myself when i read about that "imbalance" thing on rediff & other websites.

adsH

Pak Army has a deficiency and that is not quality but quantity. they need more APC's, there frontier forces constantly engaging the terrorist and they need more then 1000 APC in a short while. so they want to go for second hand APC's no country on earth would have some many Spare APC, except Russia which might be able to help pak army by providing the required apc's for the antiterrorism operations. the key is that Russia is the only country that can produce Alot of APC's in a very short while.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:
Pak Army has a deficiency and that is not quality but quantity. they need more APC's, there frontier forces constantly engaging the terrorist and they need more then 1000 APC in a short while. so they want to go for second hand APC's no country on earth would have some many Spare APC, except Russia which might be able to help pak army by providing the required apc's for the antiterrorism operations. the key is that Russia is the only country that can produce Alot of APC's in a very short while.
Not exactly true. The war reserves of the US, CIS, China, Ukraine are enormous. 1000 APC's is not a difficult surge requirement.

There are many countries that have a latent capability to build such platforms at short notice. An APC is not the same in build sophistication as an MBT - so the build demands are less invasive on a countries tech infrastructure.

The issue is that Russian arms manuf will not go into an area where it conflicts with national foreign policy and they recognise that Russia will not compete against the Ukraine or China with respect to Pakistan.

The same mistake is being made again though - it is not quantity that will assist in a countries survival - and 1000's of IFV/AFV's are not going to be battle changers. - especially in in any modern warfare environment.

adsH

gf0012-aust said:
The same mistake is being made again though - it is not quantity that will assist in a countries survival - and 1000's of IFV/AFV's are not going to be battle changers. - especially in in any modern warfare environment.
GF i am not talking about the modern battle feild here. I am talking about the Western Province NWFP, the Pukhtun tribes are medieval fighters they need to be dealt with politics and feer and A lot of money, having a significant number of Troops with APC's are a phyc tactic. Technology cannot winn conflicts with them.

mysterious

Yup. We definitely need more APCs and other light armor stuff to patrol areas of NWFP and FATA as well as to keep the areas under tight security and check 'n' control to negate the influence of militants hiding in the border areas.

fieldmarshal

yar i dont think its atank or an apc that PAk is buyin from russia, its some componant for alkhalid or alzarrar, like engines

Salman78

Pakistan has already produced a lot of M113 APC's which we call ( Al-??? somthing ). Its still used in large quantities all over the world and is a pretty damn good machine. Why cant Pakistan upgrade it and carry on.

A not-so-modern APC or tank will do just as well as a latest one when it comes to dealing with those medevial phastun's. Unless ofcourse the deal is good and has some transfer of technology which might help Pakistan in the future.