Rifle: adjustable harmonic dampener?

Gryphon

I am interested in the technology behind Ruger's new Target Mini-14, the adjustable harmonic dampener that supposedly gives the weapon MOA capability. It seems similar to the Browning BOSS system, but without the flash suppressor. The videos I've seen on YouTube seem to confirm the manufacturer's claims, and the Physics behind it seem rather straightforward - but clever.

I haven't seen any military applications of adjustable harmonic dampeners though, although it might be simply too unreliable or heavy for combat work - or is it just too new (or me too uniformed)?

Here are some links:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FASubType?type=Rifle&subtype=Autoloading
http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=107

lobbie111

I am interested in the technology behind Ruger's new Target Mini-14, the adjustable harmonic dampener that supposedly gives the weapon MOA capability. It seems similar to the Browning BOSS system, but without the flash suppressor. The videos I've seen on YouTube seem to confirm the manufacturer's claims, and the Physics behind it seem rather straightforward - but clever.

I haven't seen any military applications of adjustable harmonic dampeners though, although it might be simply too unreliable or heavy for combat work - or is it just too new (or me too uniformed)?

Here are some links:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FASubType?type=Rifle&subtype=Autoloading
http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=107
This looks like a great ad-on to any rifle, especially the BOSS, it will fix some of the 'balance' issues on the bulpups because of its barrel weight an I'm sure it can be modified to hide flassh and dampen sound as well, the muzzle break version looks interesting less recoil...

The BOSS has the advantage of the user being able to experiment and customise the rifle although do you think it will matter much when the user isn't switching ammunition, your using the same grain, bullet etc. every time.

Btw, can anyone tell me the quality of general service military ammo compared to the commercial brands...

Gryphon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both systems are adjustible

Both the Browning and Ruger systems are external tubes with internal thread mated to external thread on the barrel. They are secured with a pattern of set screws, probably brass tipped.

The video I've linked to below shows the Mini-14's dampener (a very large weight) had to be adjusted almost to the end of travel backward, where the forward end of the 6" long dampener was a good 1.5" rear of the end of the barrel. At that position, he was getting shots through the same hole at 100 yards. Two turns forward and the pattern was 2.5 ".

The BOSS system doesn't look to have the same travel - what good is a flash suppressor that isn't on the end of the barrel?

It makes sense that the 'modes' of a complex system such as a rifle and would be hyper sensitive to all kinds of teeny tiny variables. It could even be that over-the counter ammunition that isn't of the same lot number, built on the same day, might require different settings. 2-3% variances in bullet weight, diameter, powder charge ... which are within 'spec' for the manufacturer and the average shooter would never notice, might need an entirely different position for the dampener - 2 to three turns forward or aft of ammunition of the same brand and type.

It is precisely that kind of potential variability that I think would hinder its utility in combat operations. Hard to get range time when your behind enemy lines - I would think. That's really why I asked the question in the first place, to see if a military system had been developed to beat the variability problem.

Here's the video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89nJ5zA4bI&feature=email"]YouTube - Ruger's New MINI-14 Target Rifle[/ame]

lobbie111

Its actually really really easy to tell the differences in ammunition on a rifle you are pretty finely tuned to the differences on the rifle due to the position you take on a rifle. If this system was located not at the end of the barrel but somewhere where the system was protected from the elements by the rifle it would be great although I don't think it would work then.

The BOSS system seems less of a weight than the ruger version so it might be better suited.

Gryphon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Adjustable Weight

Technically speaking, the adjustable weight could be anywhere on the system and still modify the 'mode', but keeping the weight in close proximity to the feature you want to control (the muzzle) is clearly most effective. The heavier the weight, the more control you have with smaller adjustments. Move the weight aft and it would probably have to be much heavier than even the Ruger system.

The BOSS system has two varieties. One is simply a smaller version of the Ruger. The other integrates a flash suppressor. I would hesitate to integrate a suppressor and a harmonic dampener though. Sending a 'load' through your finely adjusted precision dampener every time you shoot could move it enough to mess up the adjustment.

lobbie111

For military use your probably not looking for the most accurate rifle in the world, I think with this technology your trying to get your run of the mill bolt action rifle accuracy out of an assult rifle, im sure for military use the materials will be updated and the extreme use of loctite will follow so once its tuned you're probably never gunna get it back off again :D