Recruiting to the ADF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrsm1502

Hi

My husband has applied to the ADF. He is in the British Army serving 22 years. Unfortunately at the trade assessment stage his application was returned advising he was unsuccessful. Can anyone suggest what he has to do when he applies next year to get past this stage? Any useful tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hi

My husband has applied to the ADF. He is in the British Army serving 22 years. Unfortunately at the trade assessment stage his application was returned advising he was unsuccessful. Can anyone suggest what he has to do when he applies next year to get past this stage? Any useful tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
What does he currently do in the British Army, and what did he apply for in the ADF ?

Was there any particular reason given in the returned application ? They really should have more specific comments other than just sending it back saying he was unsuccessful ?

Cheers

Mrsm1502

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He was applying for a Platoon Sgt position. Something he has lots of experience in. And no they gave no specific reason other than he was unsuccessful.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Would advise him that he should wait until after the financial year, then the next federal election, iseptember.
It may make a difference. I re applied to re enlist in 1989, after a year off. The labour party were in, and times were tough. 120 of us were tested. 3 were accepted, 2 of us were army re enlists, within 2 years, the other was ex navy who had a trade army wanted, the rest were unsuitable.

Mrsm1502

Thanks. I've told him to wait til after Xmas. Hopefully then he might be successful. But it's frustrating not knowing why he's not got past the trade assessment.

Oh well ...... Til next time

Mrsm1502

Got some feedback now. Apparently he didn't have enough experience and broader skills to pass the trade assessment! I wouldn't mind but he has done the job of platoon sgt for 4 years in the UK! Does anyone have anything like a job description for that role they can send me please? TIA

lopez

Like old faithful said It may help to wait until the new financial year.

But also keep in mind defence force recruiting (DFR) is handled by a civilian company(it may be different for lateral transfers) and most correspondence is automatically generated. So I would expect a lack of detail from them.

Also I don't think there is high demand currently for infantry platoon sergeants. Recruiting is mainly interested in SNCOs that have experience in new capabilities that the ADF is acquiring. So there will be less positions for platoon sergeants and new positions will be recruited for in the new financial year.

Just wait it out.

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As others have said, lateral recruiting is used to fill gaps that other methods can't, and there are very strict quotas. The fact that he hasn't been picked up is most likely just because there is no position for him, and not that he is unsuitable.

Considering no infantry sergeants are getting promoted for the next two-three years, there's likely to be no great call for lateral recruits in the near future, unfortunately.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Mrsm1502,

I believe you have gotten the necessary feedback you wanted from our Australian members

With the latest reply, the Mod Team are going to close this thread, to deny spammers the opportunity to reply in this thread.

If there are Defense Professionals with further comments to this thread, please let the Mod Team know and we will be happy to reopen this thread for replies. Otherwise, it will stay closed.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.