Range of modern armored vehicle thermal sights

alexkvaskov

Does anyone know the maximum identification range of a modern commander or gunner's thermal imager against a tank? From what I've read, this figure is anywhere between 2500 and 3500m for most Western thermal sights, can anyone confirm this?

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Does anyone know the maximum identification range of a modern commander or gunner's thermal imager against a tank? From what I've read, this figure is anywhere between 2500 and 3500m for most Western thermal sights, can anyone confirm this?
Effective thermal range is still very much dependent on weather conditions. For the Leopard 2 gunner thermal, in optimal conditions, that is cold but dry weather, reliable identification of up to ~4.000 m is possible. In rainy, foggy or all hot weather this range decreases noticeably. How much, depends on the actual weather.

That said, the Leo 2-gunners' thermal (EMES 15) is far from new, its 1980's tech. A truly state-of-the-art thermal sight might be less affected by weather conditions.

However, i want to stress that I always felt the limit is not the thermal technology in itself, it is rather the low resolution of the screen and the 4x/12x magnification. With a 20x magnification and a modern HD screen you could look far beyond your shooting range.