Q. re British volunteer reserve force

RCH

Can anyone tell me if Britain has a volunteer reserve force, more or less equivalent to one of the state defense forces in the US? I know that Britain used to have the Volunteer Force, the Territorial Force, the Home Guard, and the Home Service Force, but all of those are long gone. The only extant force I'm aware of is the TA, but I'm specifically looking for a volunteer reserve force that is strictly limited to domestic defense, and that allows the service of older people (I'm in my late-40s). Perhaps there's something *within* the TA that fits the description?

I'm currently an officer in a state military reserve here in the US which, if you aren't familiar with them, are under the authority of a state's governor, and act as a domestic back-up to that state's National Guard. We can't be deployed outside of the US, but occasionally get deployed to other states during major disasters (such as Hurricane Katrina). We mostly train NG units, but also perform other functions and some of us, in worst-case scenarios, can be militarized and deployed (i.e., if martial law were declared).

I'm considering emigrating to the UK in a few years. If I do, and become a citizen, I'd like to see about being involved in something similar (but obviously, with allegiance to a different authority than now!) Any info on possible branches of service would be greatly appreciated.

--R

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone tell me if Britain has a volunteer reserve force, more or less equivalent to one of the state defense forces in the US? I know that Britain used to have the Volunteer Force, the Territorial Force, the Home Guard, and the Home Service Force, but all of those are long gone. The only extant force I'm aware of is the TA, but I'm specifically looking for a volunteer reserve force that is strictly limited to domestic defense, and that allows the service of older people (I'm in my late-40s). Perhaps there's something *within* the TA that fits the description?

I'm currently an officer in a state military reserve here in the US which, if you aren't familiar with them, are under the authority of a state's governor, and act as a domestic back-up to that state's National Guard. We can't be deployed outside of the US, but occasionally get deployed to other states during major disasters (such as Hurricane Katrina). We mostly train NG units, but also perform other functions and some of us, in worst-case scenarios, can be militarized and deployed (i.e., if martial law were declared).

I'm considering emigrating to the UK in a few years. If I do, and become a citizen, I'd like to see about being involved in something similar (but obviously, with allegiance to a different authority than now!) Any info on possible branches of service would be greatly appreciated.

--R
If you're TA, you're deployable abroad, end of discussion, as far as I know. If you're wanting to work in your county area, volunteering to be a Police Special might be your way forward. Community presence, powers of arrest, no Taliban shooting at you (most days of the week)

Ian

Jeneral2885

Banned Member
It is now the Army Reserve

which was the Territorial Army.

No, the UK just has Regular and Reserves. Too small--definitely no national guard.

We will see what magical stuff happens of course in the crazy event of Scottish Independence.