PLEASE HELP appeal aplication. ASAP

Arnielike

Hey guys new to the hole blog stuff, excuse me if i mess up. I searched and found no info or threads on my situation.

Im now 21yo male and had just attempted entry for the adf after a month or so after my YOU session i was on my way to booking an assesment day and had recieved a letter stateing.

" your application for entry in the ADF has been reviewed following your police check and information provide. As a result, your application has been withdrawn.

The offences demonstrate unacceptable behavour that is contrary to service life. Im accordance to adf pollicy you will be ineligble to apply untill oct 2016 this deadline provides you with 5 years since your last recorded offense to demonstrate your a suitable character for the adf by holding stable employment, charity work and staying out of trouble, this will not guarentee entry.

Then they sent the decision to appeal paper with it. There isent mutch information with the paper all it really says is WRIGHT your appeal and send it to the fixed address with all the details reccorded.

The offense was when i was 19 so nearly 3 years ago. I was charged with intent to cause serious bodily harm and assult. I was fined and pled guilty with no conviction hence the reason i attempted to enter and assumed it would have been "blind eyed" because part of the guilty plee was no conviction.. If i knew this was the case i would not have pled guilty. Please anybody who knows how i could appeal to this succsesfully please comment, do i tell them the story ? Do i tell them im rehabilitated ? Is it worthless ? Is it easy ? Im working full time and am nealry finished an aprentiship i want to get in asap anyone who has any knowledge please help asap, thanks heaps.

Ricey

Hey,

I'm afraid if you pled guilty then by that alone is an admission of guilt meaning you have that against you, and that will be against you.

I could be wrong but if you plead guilty then it is the same as being convicted!

Stick with your apprenticeship, i completed mine over a year ago and now i make parts for the military and have obtained skills which any army would need.

So do what the letter says stay clean and show them that you have changed and have something to offer also :)

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys new to the hole blog stuff, excuse me if i mess up. I searched and found no info or threads on my situation.

Im now 21yo male and had just attempted entry for the adf after a month or so after my YOU session i was on my way to booking an assesment day and had recieved a letter stateing.

" your application for entry in the ADF has been reviewed following your police check and information provide. As a result, your application has been withdrawn.

The offences demonstrate unacceptable behavour that is contrary to service life. Im accordance to adf pollicy you will be ineligble to apply untill oct 2016 this deadline provides you with 5 years since your last recorded offense to demonstrate your a suitable character for the adf by holding stable employment, charity work and staying out of trouble, this will not guarentee entry.

Then they sent the decision to appeal paper with it. There isent mutch information with the paper all it really says is WRIGHT your appeal and send it to the fixed address with all the details reccorded.

The offense was when i was 19 so nearly 3 years ago. I was charged with intent to cause serious bodily harm and assult. I was fined and pled guilty with no conviction hence the reason i attempted to enter and assumed it would have been "blind eyed" because part of the guilty plee was no conviction.. If i knew this was the case i would not have pled guilty. Please anybody who knows how i could appeal to this succsesfully please comment, do i tell them the story ? Do i tell them im rehabilitated ? Is it worthless ? Is it easy ? Im working full time and am nealry finished an aprentiship i want to get in asap anyone who has any knowledge please help asap, thanks heaps.
Disclaimer, I'm a UK citizen, but from the sounds of it, you might be best to sit it out and re-apply when the conviction is spent.

It certainly sounds like you've a conviction on your record, having pleaded guilty and been fined, so unless you've got anything you can give them on appeal, like the charity work, rescuing kittens from trees etc, that's that.

The conviction has a bit over two years to go, so stick with it, work on your personal fitness, maybe enter the odd half marathon for charity, keep your nose clean and come back with a strong application, show recruiting that you still want to sign up and you have changed your ways.

Best of luck.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I assume that the response from ADF also provides you with details on whether you can appeal the decision?

if not, then I'm afraid you're out of luck

a national police check which generates any evidence of criminal offence is likely to see a rejection of application

notionally, there is no statute of limitations on offences although I do believe that minor offences can be withdrawn from the public record after 10 years.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume that the response from ADF also provides you with details on whether you can appeal the decision?

if not, then I'm afraid you're out of luck

a national police check which generates any evidence of criminal offence is likely to see a rejection of application

notionally, there is no statute of limitations on offences although I do believe that minor offences can be withdrawn from the public record after 10 years.
Blimey - in the UK, five years and it's off your record for consideration in most walks of life, barring certain public positions. Ten years for serious stuff like murder.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Blimey - in the UK, five years and it's off your record for consideration in most walks of life, barring certain public positions. Ten years for serious stuff like murder.
I wouldn't take my comment as up to date of current circumstances.... but I haven't heard anything counter to it having dealt with some other individuals about 4 years ago

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't take my comment as up to date of current circumstances.... but I haven't heard anything counter to it having dealt with some other individuals about 4 years ago
There's a chunk of stuff on spent convictions in the Australian capital territories numbered act database and it seems to vary in part from one place to another - so the concept is there at least. Might be best for the lad to get some advice on the specifics. Seems to be 2 years for minor offences and 10 for anything above that. There's also some tantalising stuff about Section 10 crimes which can be dealt with by means other than conviction, which seems to cover the circumstance involved.

Interesting stuff, no idea how applicable it is but it's always interesting seeing how other countries handle things.

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

What the reply was telling you was that, despite a conviction not being recorded, the behaviour displayed by the offence was sufficiently contrary to that required for ADF service that it prevents you from joining up due to poor character. In other words, the fact a conviction was not recorded is irrelevant. What you need to do is be able to display that you have moved on from the past and you now DO have a good character that is compatable with service in the ADF. Hence the five year wait to demonstrate you do have suitable character. Your best bet is simply to keep your nose clean until 5 years is up and apply again. This will show both good character and determination on your behalf to the recruiter.

Arnielike

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im going to appeal for the sake of it and ill let you guys know how i go. Thanks for the advice