Opinions on South African equipment ?

SirMarkth

(I'm putting this here since most of the machines mentioned are land based)

I'm a South African living in cape town near Simonstown ,I want to get some foriegn opinions here
Ok I understand our equipment isn't the best ,and of right now I'd have to rate our army
below Jamaica ,because since peace broke out here ,training has basically become non existant
and maintance standards and fitness levels have dropped to holiday camp standards.
But I'm interested to get some opinions on our equipment ,I've got a few issues I want
cleared up and will dig up some operational stories on several of these machines
I'll supply a list here of the ones I'm interested getting opinions on.

1) Ratel APC
2) Rooikat
3) Oliphant Mk3 and the Oliphant 2
3) Umkonto point defence missile system
4) Mokopa anti armour missile
5) ZT3 Anti armour missile
6) Rooivalk (Although I think this helicopter has been shelved now due to costs)
7) G6-SP ,G6-52-SP artillary
8) Mamba armoured car (This seems to be used in large numbers in Iraq lately)
9) Meko stealth ships]
10) Type 209 submarines

Those Meko stealth ships are really impressive ,I went abord the one during the Navys yearly
show here and I must say they are very impressive ,the hull gives you that solid knock sound
when you bang on it so you know thats serious armour ,and you can see the german engineering on
this thing ,the smallest pipe is sheathed to prevent any sort of banging ,I assume there is some
sort of silent running mode like a submarine would have since the stealth should hide it
fairly well on the surface.
They are armed with harpoons and umkontos and a single nose mounted cannon ,they recently
sent one of our old strike craft to the bottom of the sea to test the Harpoon systems.

The Type 209 submarines we haven't recieved yet and I don't have any information on them ,does
anybody know anything about these ? I do know they are being BUILT vs being second hand
and thats from official sources.

The Ratels ,I think they by chance struck gold with a bush warefare APC because its height which
in any other terrain would be a problem ,enables the ratel to spot targets before they spot the
Ratel ,I know somebody who served as a ratel driver and gunner and he says these things ride
like rolls royces over rough terrain ,smooth ,their suspension is really good ,although they
do have some serious flaws ,like on the 90mm cannon version ,which is the most numerous version
it has to disengage the gears to shoot or the transmission would be damaged ,the transmission can
take a few knocks from the cannon ,I saw some green troops do that and the ratel kept going but
too many shots and its gone ,this was drilled into the troops until it became second nature,and probably
the biggest problem was that 23mm russian anti aircraft guns could make swiss cheese out of a ratel.
And there were alot of shilkas and the twin barreled static air defence guns around angola.
That said ,in Ratel vs T-55 tank battles the ratel managed to come out on top in the majority
of the cases.
He also mentioned he could hit barrels spot on from 2Km away with the 90mm cannon.

On the G6.....
I once caught a thread somewhere where they were carrying on about the G6's poor mobility and
how it had bad ground clearance and was actually a aircraft tractor ,now having checked all this up
afterwards I must say I look at opinions on the internet in a new light because all of that is
just plain junk ,I still dont know why they would make all that up ?
Coming from the actual guys who drove G6's deep into Angola and back I can only conclude the things
mobility is actually very good ,these guys said that they found while smashing through the bush to
their firing positions that the G6 was the best vehicle to act as the Bush breaker (the Vehicle
leading the colum and breaking down trees in the way)
And according to them they suffered only one tire change throughout the whole trip ,although
you must consider the tires have regulators and I'm sure have some sort of armour in the rubber.
The Aircaft tractor thing is also rubbish ,the thing was purpous built and I've never seen a
aircraft tractor even half the size! I once passed one the road ,it had its one tire about
2 meters into the gravel off the side yet it was still a half meter into my side of the
road!
It shape is guided around ammunition storage and the jacks and armoured slopes! where did they
come to an aircraft tractor? Internet clowns! ,sheees!..... ahem! cough!....ok next....

The Oliphant 2 ,I dont know if they are making these or if its just a single demonstration tank
Note: I dont mean that TTD tank but the Olifant 2 with the angular turret.
I assume its equipped with composite armour since its heading down that angular looking road.
if the picture is anything to go by ,the turret ,at least ,seems very heavly armoured ,and it has
a few systems inspired no doubt by the Abrahams like Wind meters and seperated ammo compartment etc..
,plus all the usual thermal vision ,lazer range finders ,stabilization ,lead assistance and warning
systems etc... And fanfare is being made about its "Hunter Killer mode"
Hunter killer as far as I can tell from an Israeli site appears to be the ability to actually
lock onto a target ,kind of like a Fighter jet ,and have the computer track it ,the Merkava 4
takes this further and tracks the target even if the computer looses sight of the target!.
I think it compares the landscape in its navigational map and works out where the target should be
given its last known speed and direction! Wow!.
The Oliphant Mk3 is the version PREVIOUS to the Oliphant 2 and in any modern battlefield should
rather be used as a LGB/ATGM magnet than a tank containing people but aside from that I'm under
the impression it would stack up favorably against a T-72 since it has much better armour and
the 105mm served the israelis well in Tank on Tank battles ,I know our tanks squashed any tanks
the ran into ,I dont know if that included T-72's but they were used in angola since we did
capture at least one T-72 I know of.

The Rooivalk looks like its sung its swan song ,but in the contracts it was vying for I heard
the testers commented that several of its systems were more advanced that its competitors in those
contracts ,the competing copters were the Tiger ,the Apache and Russias alligator if I remember
right.
I clearly remember they said they would take the rooivalk over the others if we could
supply it with Hellfires ,which naturally the USA said stuff you to! but I heard the guy say
that on the news myself.
One system they noted as the best out of them all ,and to me would seem to be the most critical was
the target locating and tracking system which apparently outranged even the Apaches!
IE :could locate further or harder to see targets
So am I wrong in saying this is...er...was the better helicopter?
In addition to the better target system the Mokopa missile that would be used with it out preformed
the Hellfire in Range and I think even carried a larger warhead so would have made full use of the
advantage ,what do you think ?

The Mamba on paper doesn't sound too good ,its said to be too bouncy ,underpowered and slow ,but
The thing is considered by the mercanaries in Iraq to be THE vehicle to be in when you are being
attacked by the rebels/insurgents/whatever ,and around May I heard the US Military as bought
a whopping +100 of them for use in Iraq ,whats you opinion of them ?

The ZT3 missile was used in Angola here and there and the one instance saw a ZT3 ratel take on
2 T-55's and knocked them out with the usual effect of blowing the turret far into the air as
most Nato ATGM's do ,there's photos of this incident I'll need to dig them up again.

The Rooikat has never been tested in combat ,but apparently its considered the best in its
class world wide ,any opinions on it ?

A

Aussie Digger

South African kit I have seen seems very good and an Australian Army officer did and exchange to South Africa several years ago and reported highly on the quality of South Africa's kit.

Several things though, it is very "Africa" centric, ie: designed for Savannah/grasslands etc. What might work well in SA, may not work well in other environments, Jungle for instance? I'd like to see a G6 try and "bash" it's way through jungle in SE Asia or Northen Australia, even tracked Leopard AS1's have a hard time. A wheeled vehicle is NOT going to do it...

The Rooivalk is reputedly a good helo, but has failed in every single competition it has entered, bar South Africa obviously, who have only ordered 16 aircraft. A particular weapon system may have some technical advantages over other similar equipment, but other issues, particularly logisitical and training support are often just as important if not more so.

The size of the support base is often just as important. Over 1500 Apaches have been sold worldwide, it's a proven combat performer in various operational environments (Bosnia, Iraq, Afganistan, Israel/Palestine) etc. No Government wants to be lumbered with an "orphan" aircraft and as such the future of the Rooivalk has to be clouded to say the least...

Meko Frigates are good general purpose patrol ships, but they are not truly exceptional. They are used by quite a number of Countries including Australia with it's MEKO 200 based ANZAC frigates.

Are SA's Frigates equipped with normal Harpoon or Harpoon II? Australia's ANZAC's are currently in the process of being fitted with Harpoon II. I've also read SA is acquiring 2 (5 in total) more such frigates. Is this true?

Don't know much about the rest of SA's kit, I've heard about the RATEL but I thought it would be a fairly old platform by now?

We7det_el_qetal

If u need hi tech from a source other than NATO then South Africa is the place to go everybody knows that:D

Mokopa, G6, Ingwe, Eagle eye Binos, Arachnida battle management system, Tiger Mk II FCS.

get a type-98 license, build it in Brazil using advanced steel technology, build add on composite armor modules in South Africa, install a German MTU m873 1500HP diesel engine, use Arachnida and TIGER 2 software, use LIW version of 125mm tank guns based on L55 Rhienmetal guns, and u got one hell of a tank;)

SirMarkth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha! I see I accidently gave the mamba a cool smiley 8)

Yes ,the stuff is definitely designed for africa ,most of it was never intended to be exported so
I'm sure it would be bad in other terrains ,especially something like a ratel.

The Angolan jungle is fairly dense ,I've seen a picture of some of their firing positions so
it cant be all that bad at punching through jungle,I think the thing weighs 46 tonnes and has that
angled prow so it just ended up being good at this sort of thing ,but it certainly wont break down
something any tank can't.

Well as I say the Rooivalk is history as far as I know so its future is a little more than clouded!
I watched those competitions closely and I think it was more a case of the decision makers being
skittish than an outright failure ,the guys doing the testing only had good things to say ,but
I think Logistics and plain old "battle tested" won the day! anyway you can't go wrong picking
an Apache.

An interesting thing I noted on our Mekos is that we redesigned them before they were layed down
and apparently they are the first big ships to use a water jet propulsion system ,I don't know what
else we changed ,but it appeared to be alot!
We ordered four and have received all of them ,they dock at Simons town near where I live.
Our Mekos are apparently Meko A-200's.
Just to give you an Idea on how these ships modernize our navy ,South Africa has never given much
effort towards its navy and its long considered laughable buy the general public ,Everything
in it except our strike craft were slightly beyond world war 2 technology ,and although the stuff
was mostly well looked after ,except the submarines as far as I can see ,I can say with absolute certainty
that one Meko will sink our entire pre 2000 navy ,Submarines included.
I've always had a suspicion those Strike craft's Anti ship missiles just don't work ,since
I don't know of any test firings made public ,and considering thats the first ship they hit with
a Harpoon.

The Ratels are old ,but they are very relyable and we have thousands of the things ,they are refitting
most to be ZT3 ATGM launchers ,so I think they are still going to be in service for a long time.
They have only recently begun work on its replacement ,I'm very interested to see what thats going
to look like!.
Its my personal ambition to one day buy one when they are replaced and remove as much weight as
possible and turn it into the ultimate offroad vehicle ,you must see what a normal Ratel can climb
over ,a lightned one should be an offroad monster.

You reminded me of a funny story I heard about one of the Rooivalks attempted sales ,I would
have dismissed this as made up if It wasn't from the Guys themselves.

We were trying to sell Rooivalks to some central African country and we delivered two for
testing and were sent some pilots evaluate the helicopters.
After a few pointers they were asked to try helicopters out ,since its a very easy chopper to fly
and they should have no problem ,so off they went and tried but they couldn't seem to get them
off the ground and sort of bounced around and gave up ,so the techies thought there must be a
problem with the Rooivalks and took the Rooivalks up to test them out and found them to be fine ,so
they asked the pilots what was wrong.
they said "nothing ,its just we're Mig fighter pilots".
Its a beautiful world......

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
I find the air launched missiles which South Africa puts out to be most interesting. The Darter series, Raptor II etc. are, IMHO, state of the art kit which can be acquired with fairly less red tape than would be necessary when acquiring weapons from the EU and/or US. I think Denel is one of the most dynamic companies on the military equipment scene.

One question...does South Africa manufacture any sort of ballistic missiles?

SirMarkth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Denel and Armscor make very good equipment ,now if they can just get a grip and stop
the underhanded tactics and do business honestly they'd do much better
I see we managed to get ourselves kicked out of the Indian T6-SP project because they
were doing some payoffs behind the scenes ,and its not the first time either ,dishonesty will
bite you in the rear somewhere along the line ,clowns!
I dont know why they just dont do things honestly ,they deserve this! looking at
the fact that the Indians still haven't picked the replacement (June 2005 report) goes
to show they probably were happy with the gun ,payoff or not!.

Wonder if this links up to our Shaik/Zuma arms deal payoff scandal going on right now
its seen our deputy President Zuma get fired and this shady Shaik guy get 15 years so
far ,clowns!

Anyway ,no ,we don't make Ballistic missiles or anything you might use in them.

kal

I'm more intersted in thier small arms. I heard that the SS77 GPMG has been completely replaced by the smaller Mini SS. Is this true?

aaaditya

does anyone have any information on the south african vector assault rifle and the african warrior programme?
all i could find out about the vector was that it has the ak47 machinery in a futuristic body(www.world.guns.ru),any other info will be valuable.:confused:
also do you guys have any info on the african warrior progframmes?

oskarm

I got same questions about SA Army.

1) In polish New Military Technique Magazine (11/2005) is an article about Rooikat. Is gives numbers of this vehicles in service 242 in 2000 and 176 now (rest are in stocks). Is any of them armed in 105mm gun or all are armed just in 76mm guns?

2) Can somebody give mi a link to SA Army ToE&O’s (as specific as possible)?

3) Are there any plans of buying new 8x8 APC? I saw same pictures in JDW of Patria’s AMV being tested in South Africa.

4) How much is SA defense budget? How much is spend on new equipment?

sa_bushwar

With the ending of hostilities in the sub-continent, the SANDF's equipment numbers and budget are reducing. A few months ago, several Rooikats were destroyed with high explosives by the SANDF, as part of the reduction program.

Only 1 x 105mm rooikat was built as a demontration model, picture attached.

Don't have the SANDF latest OOB or TOE.

The SANDF are looking at options to replace the Ratel series of IFV's. The Patria 8x8 is being evaluated with a Denel 30mm turret.

99Alpha

In an earlier posting (several months ago) the question was asked if South Africa builds tactical/medium range ballistic missiles. At the moment (2005) they don’t but during the late 1980’s and early 1990’s they were building the “RSA†series of ballistic missiles with the aim of arming them with tactical nuclear warheads.

The “RSA†was a copy or more probably an imported Jericho IRBM from Israel. It is very doubtful if SA built the missiles themselves. The Jericho itself a copy of a French design which the French originally recieved from the US way back in the 1950’s.

The South Africans fired several test shots of the “RSA†missile in the early 1990’s from their launch site in the southern Cape at Bredasdorp/Arniston.

With the end of hostilities in southern Angola in 1989 the need for SA’s nuclear arsenal and associated ballistic missiles evaporated. The second but less publicized reason for scraping South Africas missile program was the fear of having SA’s nuclear arsenal fall into the corrupt and incompetent hands of the new ANC government.

artistoli

I've become really interested in all things South African since I've been in a relationship with a drop-dead gorgeous 21 year old blonde, blue eyed SA girl here in London... but enough about the gorgeous girls... they also make kick ass military vehicles. Sure some of them maybe a bit odd looking, but heck, they certainly perform their duties well!

I heard that no-one has ever been killed by a mine in a Casspir! Not sure if its true, but I know it is one of the best mine-protected vehicles in the world and I know that the SANDF has been selling them off to private firms for use in places like Afghanistan and Iraq.

[ Admin Edit: NO URLs for commercial purposes! Read the rules: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Killjoy

Firstly let me introduce myself. I was led to this forum due to this threat. I am a saffer and very proud of what we have achieved here.

Now on to the answers.

1) Ballastic Missles. Yes we did some development on them. They were close to the Jericho and called the Arniston. Apparently a few Arniston 3 missles where build in the late eighties in extreme secrecy, fitted with neutron warheads, and hidden in the Soutpansberg mountains in silos. Apparently the old goverment "forgot" to tell the ANC where they are hidden and they are now looking for them with great interest. This info comes from a book I read a while ago called "Mandela and the mini nuke conspiracy". It explains the possible development of neutron weapons along with the Isrealis using red mercury.

2) Ratel. This is one of the first APC designed with a modular aproach in mind. The ratel was to be the vehicle which had to cover the needs of the Mech Infantry. To this end alot of variants where developed. A short list would be:

Ratel 20 (armed with a 20 dual feed gun and basic apc)
Ratel 90 (armed with a 90mm gun and used as bunker buster and in AT role)
Ratel 60 (apparently a ratel fitted with a Eland (aml 60) turret. not to sure how these where applied my sources aren't to clear)
Ratel Command (well as it says a command version armed with only a mg)
Ratel 81 (81mm mortar carrier)
Ratel Log (logistics version tested but never used as the army felt the SAMIL was good enough)
Ratel ZT3 (A ratel fitted with a 3 tube ZT3 launcher on the turret - deadly little weapons these ZT3s but more on them later)

There are more variants which are very specialised such as artilery opservation vehicles.

These vehicles aquited them well during the border war taking on T54/55s with sucsess in very dense bush. There is a story of a gunner slotting 20mm ap rounds below the turret of a T55 and taking it out. It also demostrated its reliability and range going through many ours of battle and travel in very dense bush that restricted even tank movement to 800m an hour without problems. Of all the equipment used during the war this was in my opinion the most reliable piece. Another thing which the operators comments on is its height being able to spot the enemy in the dense grass from further away. There are many stories of Ratel 90 commanders standing on the turret and tracking the movement of a T without the T spotting him as the grass was alot higher than the tank!

However the vehicle is old and have undergone a few modernizations. The army now plans to either upgrade them again or to buy Patria 8x8s with a SA designed bushmaster turret.

3) ZT 3/Makopa. A great weapon which have been steadily improved. It burned through 1500mm of armor plating at 5km without a problem. It has since the war in angola been fitted with tandem warheads to defeat ERA, become laser guided and been adapted for arial fire (the makopa). I know a guy who worked on the guidance system. Apparently the thing went dumb over water due to the reflection of light energy of the water. The laser also had to be high powered so as to be able to pierce smoke in dust. This guy worked on a telescopic eye which can zoom in on the energy reflection of the laser, thus a smaller laser can now be carried. He did this as a masters degree and the university was so impressed they gave him his doctoral degree.

4.) Casspir. What can be said about this one of the best designed pieces of military hardware in the world. I will only give an example of it's effectiveness and let this tell it's tale. In the late 80s a Casspir from one of the Koevoet teams on the border hit not one but 4 TM55s. Two under the front axle and two under the body. The two under the body was rigged to explode with the two under the front axle. The Swaps thought that the explosion under the axle would rip open the chasis and expose it to the second blast. What actually happened was that the Casspir was thrown forward 25m and landed on it's roof. The vehicle was a total write off but the worst damage to the guys inside was a few broken bones. I challenge any vehicle in the world to try this. The guys are so confident in it that they regulary drive over mines at weapons shows with all the sales team inside. No injuries yet.

5.) Olifant. This modernised version of the Centurion is still able to take on any main battle tank on the african continent at the moment. They chassis is however starting to show it's age. One can only modify it to such an extend and these vehicles have seen hard service. Yet as I have said they are very capable. During Op Hooper/Modular/Packer they destroyed alot of angolan armor without lossing one vehicle to an enemy tank. The only three lost where lost to mines and had to be abandoned after a the position of the unit they belonged to became untenable in heavy shell fire during the last Tumpo battle. Since then it has been upgraded to mk1b and now to the first 3 or so to mk2 standard with the rest of the fleet to follow. During the 90s the TTD or Tank Technology Demonstrator was developed. But due to its price and a general lack of intrest on the part of the army the project has died. My buddies at the armor school still holds out some hope for a replacement and place their money on some T variant or the Leopard 2A5. Will see where this goes.

6.G5) Longest ranged gun in the world with a range of 70km. Enough said. Despite this it suffers from barrel overheating problems which still need to be solved.

7. G6)SP variant. The vehicle is huge. Trust me I have been around them a few times. I would wager as big as the PZH 2000 if not larger. It is a very adgile vehicle. Those that do not believe me are welcome to e-mail me and I will provide them with video footage of them in action. The gun also suffers from the same over heating problem.

8.) Rooikat. A great armored reconnaisance vehicle. Due to the large spaces in africa the SADF and now the SANDF places a large importance on armored cars. Brigades have one whole regiment attached along with an armored regiment. It is reliable and agile with an extremely usefull range. The 76mm gun is as capable as the 90mm on the Ratel and the Eland if not more capable with improved ammo. The fire contol system is also, with some preparation able to take out a target at around 4kms.

There is alot more to be said about our equipment but it will fill pages. Most of our kit is regularly upgraded with the new technology as it becomes avialable. About the ships and the aircraft I don't know much so I would rather keep my thoughts on them to myself.

A question to all the saffers here. Does any one have TO&Es for the OP Hooper/Packer/Modular period. The references I have are suspect as they contradict each other. Problem is there is only two: Bridgeland and Heitman.