New light vehicle for uk in iraq

jaffo4011

can anyone tell which vehicle the uk has purchased to supplement the land rover 'snatch' vehicles in iraq.i caught a glimpse of then on the news the other night and they looked impressive but i didnt recognise them at all.....

Super Nimrod

There is also a batch of armoured Pinzgauers called Vectors that are being delivered as well in 2007. It may be though that these only go to Afghanistan :confused:

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Following link shows both 'Vector' and 'Mastiff' for use by UK forces in Iraq / Afghanistan. The Mastiff is fitted with additional side armour to protect the rear crew compartment.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...ForIraqAndAfghanistanPutThroughTheirPaces.htm
From the description of their role given in the link it looks like the vehicle jaffo4011 was referring to is one of these as both the Mastiff and the Vector have been given the role he described. They look different though so I guess we now need jaffo4011 to look at the photos in the link and tell us which one it was.

Cheers

jaffo4011

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
lokking at the pics(thanks all),it was the bulldog.i had no idea it was an upgraded fv430..it looks like a new vehicle.does it have bolt on composite armour?...it looks quite mean in any case!

jaffo4011

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ive found what i wanted to know re the armour...........

which introduced better performance, much improved turning capability (Bulldog can now turn around within its own length) and improving more comfortable driving, resulting in less driver fatigue. The new add-on armor provides improved protection against a wide range of threats, bringing it up to the same level of the FV-510 Warrior. Other improvements include air conditioning. The armor package, developed by RAFAEL was first introduced in September 2005 at the DSEi exhibition in London. It uses the latest-generation insensitive reactive armor package on the front and sides, providing protection against a variety of anti-tank weapons, including the widely deployed RPG-7 rocket propelled grenade launcher. In addition, the new appliqué armor provides protection against kinetic energy attack, high-speed artillery and roadside bomb fragments.

riksavage

Banned Member
I note the UK has finally received the MASTIFF in theatre (link below)

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...enceMinisterSeesNewArmouredVehiclesInIraq.htm

I would be keen to hear how this compares with similar platforms such as the Aussie Bushmaster with regard to performance, weight and protection?

We clealry seeing more and more wheeled armored taxis appearing on the scene to replace traditional soft-skinned or retro-fitted units (SNATCH for example)that have proved so vulnerable to VBIED's and road-side IED's. I would interested to hear peoples opinions as to which offers the best, most cost effective solution based on the exisitng threat.

I note the USMC, under the MRAP program, has authorized the purchase of 100 4x4 Bushmasters and 20 4x4 RG 31’s (BAE) to compliment the 215 units already ordered from Force Protection Industries and BAE systems. The USMC could end up ordering a total of 1, 022 such MRAP vehicles for Iraq and Afghanistan.