Need Info : Military of Somaliland

Twister

Somaliland is unrecognised republic, which is part of Somalia. It's has been almost 20 years this nation exist along with they Armed Forces.

Unlike others region of Somalia, Somaliland which located at the Northwest (border with Djibouti) not affected with current battle between Somalia FTG with Ethiopian Army and the rebel.

If anybody have info of Somaliland Armed Forces, please add your info especially their current status, ORBAT etc.

Thanks,

somalia

here is some nice info

Currently, the military of Somaliland receives the biggest share of the country's budget. A editorial on a preliminary 2004 budget cited a figure of approximately $6.8 million. Due to Somaliland's lack of international recognition, the country receives no foreign assistance to maintain its military.

The army was organized into 12 divisions which comprise 4 tank brigades, 45 mechanized and infantry brigades, 4 commando brigades, surface-to-air missile brigade, 3 artillery brigades, 30 field battalions, and an air defense battalion.

Centurion main battle tanks
M47 Patton main battle tanks
T-54/T-55 main battle tanks
T-34 medium tanks
M41 Walker Bulldog light tanks
Panhard AML 90 armoured cars
BRDM-2 reconnaissance vehicles
BTR-50 tracked armored personnel carriers
BTR-40, BTR-60 and BTR-152 wheeled armored personnel carriers
Fiat 6614/6616 armored personnel carriers
BMR-600 armored personnel carriers
BM-21 mobile rocket launchers
BGM-71 TOW anti-tank guided missiles
M198 towed howitzers
T-72 main battle tanks (20, Ukranian Built)

Air Defense Forces
The Air Defense Forces consisted of 7 brigades.

The serviceability of the equipment is poor and status is unknown.

SA-3 Goa surface-to-air missiles (not operational)
SA-2 Guideline surface-to-air missiles (not operational)
Strela 2 portable surface-to-air missiles (operational status unknown)
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 swing wing fighter aircraft (3 of 7 operational)
P-12 Radar
P-15 Radar
P-30 Radar
P-35 Radar

Navy
As of 1991, the navy was not operational. Prior to that, the Somali navy consisted of:

Osa-II missile-armed fast attack craft (2)
Mol PFT torpedo-armed fast attack craft (4)
Polnocny class landing ship

Twister

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those data has shown in wikipedia which also indicate that just assume prior back to late 1991.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
I got a gut feeling after 20 years without a central authority in Somalia, any military unit would have been completely deteriorated into a rag-tag band of clan militias. I am not aware of any functioning military institution in Somaliland that can provide training and logistical support to properly maintain an army. Furthermore, I would seriously question whether in its current state, Somaliland has the cash to fund a regular army.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hodge podge of ancient Soviet tanks and APCs would no doubt be unfunctional by now, as spares have not been delivered in ages.

USNavySEAL3310

I don't know of any specifics regarding Somaliland's military other than its fighting with Puntland over disputed territory... so at least they're seeing combat.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
I don't know of any specifics regarding Somaliland's military other than its fighting with Puntland over disputed territory... so at least they're seeing combat.
I would hardly call sporadic violence between Somalian militias organized combat.

*cough* Liberian infantry tactics *cough*