Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

F-35_launches_Joint_Strike_Missile.jpg

us-south-korea-drill.jpg

this-year-12700-us-troops-are-participating-alongside-many-more-south-korean-soldiers.jpg

the-us-routinely-dedicates-an-extremely-large-contingent-of-soldiers-and-marines-to-the-drills.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Modern Military of Vietnam

This is a discussion on Modern Military of Vietnam within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by STURM You're probably right, but my guess is that notwithstanding the scrappings and sales, there still will ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Old January 29th, 2011   #31
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STURM View Post
You're probably right, but my guess is that notwithstanding the scrappings and sales, there still will be T-72's readily available for at least the next 10 years or so, for customers who want them. My guess is that Vietnam will eventually order a batch of T-90's. I don't see any near term alternatives accept maybe buying T-84's from the Ukraine.
If the time scale if 10-15 years, it will be T-90M, or some variant there-of.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011   #32
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I fully understand that right now Vietnam has no pressing need to seriously upgrade it's tank inventory.

But my thoughts are that maybe in 10-15 years cheap tanks won't be so readily available as they are now with most T-72s being already sold or scrapped.
But in 10-15 years the T-80s will receive the same fate so they could be available quite cheaply
T.C.P da Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011   #33
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
The re-elected member of the Politburo Defense Minister Phung Quang Thanh announced a couple of weeks ago that Vietnam will focus on modernizing the navy and airforce, ..no mention of ground force at all

From 2009 to mid 2010 we ordered a total of 40 Su-30 and from unconfirmed source we may order another 32 Su-30, 32 Mig-35, 18 Su-35BM, and 5 batteries of S-300PMU2 in the next 5 years. Future orders are just speculation at the moment but it comes from people who predicted that Vietnam would purchase 6 Kilo-class submarines several years ago.

As for radar installation, it's confirmed that Vietnam already put in service Kasta-2E2,Vostok E,Kolchulga,Nebo SV, and 55Zh6 Nebo-UE
mk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011   #34
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk25 View Post
The re-elected member of the Politburo Defense Minister Phung Quang Thanh announced a couple of weeks ago that Vietnam will focus on modernizing the navy and airforce, ..no mention of ground force at all

From 2009 to mid 2010 we ordered a total of 40 Su-30 and from unconfirmed source we may order another 32 Su-30, 32 Mig-35, 18 Su-35BM, and 5 batteries of S-300PMU2 in the next 5 years. Future orders are just speculation at the moment but it comes from people who predicted that Vietnam would purchase 6 Kilo-class submarines several years ago.

As for radar installation, it's confirmed that Vietnam already put in service Kasta-2E2,Vostok E,Kolchulga,Nebo SV, and 55Zh6 Nebo-UE
Where did you get the news about the Mig-35??
Old January 30th, 2011   #35
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.P da Devil View Post
Where did you get the news about the Mig-35??
From people of Vietnamese military discussion forum; the kind of people who had predicted in 2005-2006 that Vietnam would purchase 6 Kilo-class submarines and people who had taken up-closed pictures of Vietnam's S-300PMU2
Old January 30th, 2011   #36
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I agree with the Defense Minister that the Navy and Airforce need more modernization than anything else. In this modern day, you must have a solid radar network, anti-aircraft missle systems, and airforce to create a sense of deterrent and make your opponent think twice about their potential losses when launching a war against you. A strong ground force is so outdated in my opinion
Old January 30th, 2011   #37
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
When you are operating capable platforms like the Su-30 and the Su-35 why go for the Mig-35? Is it for the Mig's AESA radar? Also as far as I know the Mig-35 hasn't been offered to any other country other than India, so how can your sources tell you that Vietnam will operate Mig-35s?
Old January 30th, 2011   #38
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I do not believe Mig35's AESA radar is anywhere near powerful as the PESA IRBIS-E radar of the SU35BM that can see objects of 0.01 RCS m2 at 96 km. If Vietnam has the intention to buy Mig35, it will be in the Vietnamese realm of knowledge first before any other foreign source ( including Russia) knows it. Migs will need to find buyers anyway, so India buys it or not will not have effect on the decision of Vietnam if we have plan to buy them. I personally like the Su35BM better because of its powerful radar.
Old January 30th, 2011   #39
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
AESA radars are superior to any PESA radar, and any way last time I heard Mig was testing out a new AESA radar for the Mig-35
Old January 30th, 2011   #40
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.P da Devil View Post
AESA radars are superior to any PESA radar, and any way last time I heard Mig was testing out a new AESA radar for the Mig-35
Do you have data of AESA radar detection range of such object of x rcs at x distant?
Old January 30th, 2011   #41
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
A strong ground force is so outdated in my opinion
Well it really depends on the threat one is facing, doesn't it .
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011   #42
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Do you have data of AESA radar detection range of such object of x rcs at x distant?
Nah not really but seeing that AESA is replacing PESA and that AESA is one of the main characteristics that set 4.5 gen and 5th gen Air craft apart, I would assume that they are better than PESA radars.
Old January 30th, 2011   #43
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STURM View Post
Well it really depends on the threat one is facing, doesn't it .
Yeah you are right,if you faced a threat from an adversary against whom you share large land borders, you will need a strong ground force to counter attack large scale ground offensives and also to hold your line.
Old January 30th, 2011   #44
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
RSK MiG has merged with UAC. Also the director of both Sukhoi Group and RSK MiG is Pogosyan. I.e. the Zhuk-AE is available for the Su-35 most likely around the same time as it becomes available for the MiG-35 (maybe slightly later depending on how the orders placed correspond with production).

I seriously doubt that quote to be honest. It makes little sense to go for buckets more Su-30s, if you plan to eventually purchase the Su-35, since the Su-35 should be available right now. The MiG-35 makes even less sense. What makes a lot of sense is getting the S-300PMU2. Tons of them will become (and are right now) in the form of retired refurbs, while the main production lines are busy with domestic orders for S-400.

I would like to note that the majority of the T-80 fleet is retired from active duty as of right now. Only a few units are left with them. Some of them no doubt made their way into storage bases, but I strongly suspect the majority have simply been retired. The T-90A currently entering service (iirc ~700 are in service right now, out of an inventory of 2000 combat tanks) are replacing all other types of MBTs. If Vietnam wants a good deal on retired T-80Bs now's the time.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011   #45
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Do you think that the Su-35 and the Mig-35 will have similar Zhuk-AE or will their respective versions differ and if they do, in what way will they differ?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: