Malaysian Army/Land forces discussions

Theodor

Maybe just nit picking here but should Royal be in the name?

The ''Malaysian Army'' (Malay: Tentera Darat) is the land component of the Malaysian Armed Forces. Steeped in British Army traditions, the Malaysian Army does not carry the title 'Royal' as do the Royal Malaysian Air Force and the Royal Malaysian Navy. Instead. the 'Royal' title is bestowed on selected army corps and regiments who have been accorded the honour by His Majesty the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_Army

The information you've presented looks about the same as the source above and may not be all that out of date if at all.

renjer

weasel1962 said:
Tot I start a new thread on the Malaysian ground force instead of the old 155mm gun thread.
Excellent idea!

weasel1962 said:
I think 4 RAMD is also a Gurkha regiment.
This is wrong. There are no Gurkha units in the MA. However, there are Malaysians of Gurkha descent serving in the MA.

flyingfrog

renjer said:
This is wrong. There are no Gurkha units in the MA. However, there are Malaysians of Gurkha descent serving in the MA.
yup.. no gurkha regiment in MA.. but there is one regiment that had been called "Gurkha Malaya". Not sure which one... maybe like Weasel said, 4 RAMD.

caksz

Paxter said:
isnt there an newly establlish air core too? which is seperate from the airforce?
11 - Agusta 109 LUH the air wing of the ground forces , some maybe fitted with unguided rocket and anti tank missile < maybe :p

kaybee

flyingfrog said:
yup.. no gurkha regiment in MA.. but there is one regiment that had been called "Gurkha Malaya". Not sure which one... maybe like Weasel said, 4 RAMD.
Yes, the "Gurkha Malaya" is the 4 RAMD.

renjer

Here's a video link for the 51 RAD test firing their rockets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gzN-ZBdRgs

I saw it at another forum that also mentioned a 52 RAD. I know the 51st become operational about a year ago and that there has been plans for a second MLRS regiment. Does anyone know if there is already a 52nd?

wzhtg

re

Malaysian Army Aviation Receives 11th and Final A109 LOH]

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/Malaysian_Army_Aviation_Receives_Final_A109_LOH_20060915.php

AgustaWestland is pleased to announce that the 11th and final A109 LOH helicopter for the Malaysian Army Aviation was handed over 12th September at AgustaWestland’s Vergiate factory in Italy.

Accepting the last LOH, on behalf of the Malaysian Army Aviation, were Lt. Gen. Datuk Muhammad Ismail bin Hj. Jamaluddin – Deputy Chief of Malaysian Army, and Col. Mohd Amin bin Mohd Razi – Director of Army Aviation.

The aircraft will now join the other 10 aircraft. This event marks the conclusion of a successful delivery programme which started in December 2005 with the handover of the first aircraft at the LIMA 2005 air show.

The Malaysian Army Aviation selected the A109 LOH in October 2003 as the most cost effective and capable machine after a rigorous competition and evaluation process run by the Malaysian Ministry of Defence. The primary purpose of the LOH is to serve as a cost efficient system for observation, reconnaissance, tactical transport and area suppression missions.

The A109 LOH, a version of the well known A109 LUH, is powered by two 711 shp Turbomeca Arrius 2K2 giving it excellent hot and high performance. With a maximum speed of 168 knots and a payload of up to 1.5 tons the A109 LUH is a fast, versatile and capable light twin-engine military helicopter

The Malaysian Army Aviation became the first operator of the A109 LOH in Asia and the third customer to start operations worldwide. A109 LUHs are already in service with the South African and Swedish Armed Forces. The A109 LUH, with 61 units ordered so far, is the foremost light twin engine helicopter for military utility and advanced training purposes.

-ends-
[/I]

Last edited by a moderator:

renjer

Abdul Aziz also said that he did not receive any information on the purchase of the BrahMos supersonic missiles from India as reported by the Indian Express newspaper on Oct 5.

"We have no plans to buy arms from India," said the Army chief.
I missed this part of the article the first time around. Well, too bad.