M1A2SEP - Questions.

Damian90

I have several questions to people better informed than myself about M1A2SEP.

Of course if these informations are OPSEC, then just ignore.

What is performance of CITV and GPS thermal sights, I mean it is known from what distance they will detect target and from what distance it is possible to identify it?

Also I noticed on avaiable videos that it seems M1A2SEP use newer thermals than M1A2, with better resolution and image quality. AFAIK M1A2 was reported to use 2nd generation FLIR, this means that M1A2SEP use "3rd generation FLIR" or something like that?

And second question, the difference between T-158 and T-158LL tracks is only in weight, or the latter have also more service life? If yes then how much longer is service life of T-158LL?

I will be thankfull for any informations. :)

shelory

as of the M1A2 thermal sights capability I don’t know what there capability's are, but I hope no one here would indulge our enemy's of such info. In my army its considered secret information and I fully understand why. About the fact that the M1A2SEP thermal sight is better then the M1A2 I would think that it would be reasonable to think that the US would be updating there thermal sights as the first M1A2 sights are quite old from 1992 (which means that the technology in the thermal sights is at least 5 years older when they put them in) and the M1A2SEP tanks are more modern (from what I see about 2007) I know thermal sights got allot better since 1992. but hell its all speculation and it may be that the US never did upgrade there thermal sights and are left with the old ones (I hope they did as I know how good the newer thermal sights are)

Damian90

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
as of the M1A2 thermal sights capability I don’t know what there capability's are, but I hope no one here would indulge our enemy's of such info. In my army its considered secret information and I fully understand why. About the fact that the M1A2SEP thermal sight is better then the M1A2 I would think that it would be reasonable to think that the US would be updating there thermal sights as the first M1A2 sights are quite old from 1992 (which means that the technology in the thermal sights is at least 5 years older when they put them in) and the M1A2SEP tanks are more modern (from what I see about 2007) I know thermal sights got allot better since 1992. but hell its all speculation and it may be that the US never did upgrade there thermal sights and are left with the old ones (I hope they did as I know how good the newer thermal sights are)
As far as I know M1A2 had 2nd generation FLIR, but from what I seen, the M1A2SEP FLIR offers superior quality, this hints that thermals were upgraded, perhaps 3rd generation FLIR?

shelory

from what i understand there are two main components that determine the image quality that the soldiers gets. one is the type of FLIR camera and the other is the screen the FLIR camera projects its image to. So it may be that the FLIR camera is the same but the screen has better resolution. But on the other hand it may be that the FLIR camera is better and you get better resolution.