M1 Abrams in Afghanistan

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
As Kato said, there are no M1s in A-Stan but there are other tanks in the theater.

The Danes have an oversized platoon of Leopard IIA5DK in their battlegroup and suffered one dead driver and some wounded from a big IED.
The Canadians have an oversized company of Leopard IIA6MCAN in their battlegroup and suffered some wounded crewmen from another big IED. But it looks like the mine protection kit worked well.

There are some other rather heavy tracked AFVs in theater (Warrior, CV9040, CV9030, Marder A5) but I am not aware of any serious casualties which occured during Operations with these vehicles.

regstrup

As Kato said, there are no M1s in A-Stan but there are other tanks in the theater.
But the USMC is very keen on getting M1s to Afghanistan, after they saw the effect of the danish Leopard II in operation Cobra's Anger.

They have had an deligation in Denmark to learn more about the danish experience with tanks in Helmann.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I thought that the newly arrived Striker MGS will provide the direct fire support role in the near future?

Not that the MGS offers the same capabilities as a modern MBT but nevertheless they should be usefull.

It is interesting that there are more and more tracked AFVs in theater but the US still doesn't field any. Especially in the south the Danes and Canadians made some very successfull experiences with them. IIRC british commanders also requested some Challies but this was denied (for whatever reasons...).

I just remember that the Czechs also have some BMPs over there but I have no idea if they have seen action. In the north the Sweden, Norway and Germany seem to be pleased by the performance of their IFVs. So much that soon Germany is going to field 25 Marder A5 in support of their maneuver elements. Should also raise the spirit of the Kandaks with which they operate together.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No mbt M1s as of yet will be going to Tali Tubby land, only our combat engineer version. Emphasis inregards to U.S has always been air asset strength for infantry support. You will see a improved Stryker version rolling out soon, one that will be able to with stand IED attacks and have better cross country mobility.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
How are they going to improve it? Base it on the Piranha IV?

In the end I am still sceptical. I doubt that even an improved Stryker chassis can negate the flexibility a small amount of tracked AFVs offers.

Nevertheless the amount of rotary support the US has in theater is a blessing. The German units in the north defenitely welcome the additional rotary assets which come with the IBCT from 10th Mountain.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
How are they going to improve it? Base it on the Piranha IV?

In the end I am still sceptical. I doubt that even an improved Stryker chassis can negate the flexibility a small amount of tracked AFVs offers.

Nevertheless the amount of rotary support the US has in theater is a blessing. The German units in the north defenitely welcome the additional rotary assets which come with the IBCT from 10th Mountain.
Yes, they are basicaly going to replace the entire bottom portion of the hull and chassis, and yes we are rather disappointed that our beloved Strykers cannot even keep pace with tracked vehicles when it comes to cross country movement. But they say this new set up is the cats meow, ha ha we shall see.