Japanese New Tank TKX

evripide

Japanese army finally has shown the new tank.
I can't read Japanese. But you can see the pictures of this.
However, I can identify some specs. 120mm gun and 44ton weight. Its cost per vehicle is 700,000,000 yen(about $7m).

sankei.jp.msn.com/politics/policy/080213/plc0802131146007-n1.htm

evripide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does the gun look quite short?

* additional specs;

its engine is 1,200hp (27hp/ton)
5 loadwheels
hydraulic suspension

Last edited:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Does the gun look quite short?

* additional spec;

its engine is 1,200hp
They will use either a the L-44 or a designed 50 caliber in length 120 mm tube, the have not ruled out the option of using a L-55 either, turret will also be able to house a 140 mm with minimal modifications just as the case with the ROK K2. Turret armor is a advanced ceramic modular design that will be able to provide upgrading for future armor threats, configuration is just like a Leclerc.

evripide

They will use either a the L-44 or a designed 50 caliber in length 120 mm tube, the have not ruled out the option of using a L-55 either, turret will also be able to house a 140 mm with minimal modifications just as the case with the ROK K2. Turret armor is a advanced ceramic modular design that will be able to provide upgrading for future armor threats, configuration is just like a Leclerc.
Yes, it is L-44. I have another question. Some say it is a replacement for Type-74 rather than Type-90. Do you think it is right?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes, it is L-44. I have another question. Some say it is a replacement for Type-74 rather than Type-90. Do you think it is right?
It will be a replacement for both eventually, kind of surprised that they showed it off to the public in such a crude state.

evripide

It will be a replacement for both eventually, kind of surprised that they showed it off to the public in such a crude state.
Thanks for the answer.
A crude state? Do you think it is not ready to product?

Last edited:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A crude state? Do you think it is not ready to product?
It is still in the experimental phase so no it is still not ready for production, I think the production forcast is setup for the year 2010 or 2011. The crude state was mentioned due to the lifting points on the armor and the rubber pads missing from the tank track. Knowing Japan, when they unvale the completed package then we will see one darn good package, just look at what they did with the Type 90 design.

swerve

Super Moderator
My personal & entirely non-technical translator watched the video, & told me it's 44 tons, has new lightweight armour, & screens inside which (in her words) show the crew where the enemies are. She said it's for testing - couldn't find the right English word but I think the newsreader called it a prototype.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My personal & entirely non-technical translator watched the video, & told me it's 44 tons, has new lightweight armour, & screens inside which (in her words) show the crew where the enemies are. She said it's for testing - couldn't find the right English word but I think the newsreader called it a prototype.
I was quite surprised that they brought it out for a public viewing at this stage of the project.:)

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Me too, they're after something. Tech Transfer?? X
Eck?
I do not know what they would be after, if they wanted or needed assistance they could pretty much ask. Japan is pretty good in the research department when they want to design something. What do you think that they are after.:D

Izzy1

Banned Member
I do not know what they would be after, if they wanted or needed assistance they could pretty much ask. Japan is pretty good in the research department when they want to design something. What do you think that they are after.:D

Their Type-90 looks pretty much like the old-mark Leo 2.

AGS Technology? Or Deeper - do they have DU?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Their Type-90 looks pretty much like the old-mark Leo 2.

AGS Technology? Or Deeper - do they have DU?
That is because they relied on German turret design concept when they manufactured the Type 90. What is your exact question in regards to DU, we talking armor or ammunition. I would like to state that Japan is very advanced when it comes to ceramic materials and they could get DU projectile ballistic/penetration testing assistance if needed.

Last edited:

Izzy1

Banned Member
That is because they relied on German design concept when they manufactured the Type 90. What is your exact question in regards to DU, we talking armor or ammunition. I would like to state that Japan is very advanced when it comes to ceramic materials and they could get DU projectile ballistic/penetration testing assistance if needed.
My second question - their first design thus appears Leopard2A4 - how about the next step? Chobham armour or did we trade that in for something else?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My second question - their first design thus appears Leopard2A4 - how about the next step? Chobham armour or did we trade that in for something else?
Now Izzy - you would not want me or anybody else to discuss highly sensitive information now would you? One would think that you could improve the actual properties in materials used.;)

skyrider

That is because they relied on German design concept when they manufactured the Type 90. What is your exact question in regards to DU, we talking armor or ammunition. I would like to state that Japan is very advanced when it comes to ceramic materials and they could get DU projectile ballistic/penetration testing assistance if needed.
This reminds me of a rumor that has been floating arround japan site for sometime. During the development of the type 90, military officals were invited to give suggestions. It was rumored that one high ranking army guy simply put a pic of leo2 on the table and said "make me this one". And now they got the type90.