India, Russia close to signing "Smerch" MLRS deal

srirangan

Banned Member
Source: PTI

Moscow, Feb 6 (PTI) After nine years of assessment and negotiations, India is close to the signing of "Smerch" (Tornado) Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) deal with Russia, according to reports.

The USD 450-million deal is expected to be signed within few months and will be the largest supply of Russian weapons for Indian Army since the USD 800 million contract for the supply and licensed production of 310 T-90S main battle tanks, leading Russian financial daily Vedomosti" last week reported.

Quoting a source, it said that at least 36 "Smerch" systems are expected to be supplied to India.

According to Marat Kenzhetayev, an expert of the Centre for Disarmament Studies, until recently, the Smerch MLRS, the most powerful in the Russian army, were exported to Algeria (18 in 1999) and Kuwait (27 in 1995-96) alone.

Designed by Tula-based "Splav" state enterprise, "Smerch" is a new generation self-propelled multiple rocket launcher system capable of destroying various enemy targets over the territory of 67 hectares in one volley of its 12 barrels capable of firing smart weapons between the range of 20-90 kilometres.

Russia's state arms exporting agency 'Rosoboronexport' had formally offered "Smerch" to India in 1998, but it was in the aftermath of Kargil that talks gathered some momentum.

"If we had Smerch during Kargil crisis, we would have flattened the Tiger Hill in one volley, for which we had to sacrifice many lives," an Indian military expert told PTI.
. .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... .. .... .... ..

ajay_ijn

I think indian forces are not effective in Kashmir how these small weaponaries can increase the effectiveness of indain forces lol
I can make the same comment on pakistan.
NoBody asked u to post what u think about Indian Forces in kashmir.
Already Number of threads have been locked becoz of this.
Why do u want to start Unnecessary Flame wars???

However Smerch is looking like a very lethal weapon packed with Heavy FirePower.
I saw the video of Smerch.
Why is Indian Army making so late in buying that.
But I think These weapons are much costly than traditional Artillery,So can be employed in small Numbers and Must be employed where enemy weapon Systems are concentrated.

Last edited:

srirangan

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
>> Why is Indian Army making so late in buying that.

True the IA was stuck in a time warp before Kargil. But now it seems to have woken up!

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
:confused: Again a weapon deal with Russia how much weaponary will India buy from Russia.I think India have a lot of it already.
After all its a good weapon a will increase some effectiveness of Indain Army:coffee

shivap_24

aaaditya said:
india also uses weaponery from poland,britain,usa,israel,and the european union.
It is one of the unique things of Indian Defence procurement. India has a lot of friends and thus has access to many varies weaponry ranging from Aircraft carriers to rifles .

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
shivap_24 said:
It is one of the unique things of Indian Defence procurement. India has a lot of friends and thus has access to many varies weaponry ranging from Aircraft carriers to rifles .
Doesn't that lead to logistical problems. Having to take care of multiple supply chains and platforms??

srirangan

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Red aRRow said:
Doesn't that lead to logistical problems. Having to take care of multiple supply chains and platforms??
Yes, but the alternative of not having any suppliers at all is even worse, don't you agree? And too much dependence on one single source too isn't that desirable. Eventually producing all locally is the objective, but till then more the options the better.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Yes, I think the best way is to have a balance between having a single source and having too many. However the final goal should always be towards indigenous production.