India to buy 400 Tanks in a 1 Billion $ Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky007

http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=94999

Interesting Scenario is now unfolding.

India, it seems has picked up the Gauntlet thrown by the F-16 Deal and is now
gearing up to announce a slew of deals.

This Race towards buying More Arms between India and Pakistan is going to an interesting one.

What is going to be india's Game Plan? Is it doing what the US did to Russia?
Spend so much on arms that the opposing country simply finds it difficult to match.

It appears that India is more then willing to enter this race.With its Larger Reserves it can spend huge chunks on Defence and also take care of spending on the Social-sector.whereas, for Pakistan if it tries to match India, it wont have money to spend on Health, Education,infrastructure etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

adsH

vicky007 said:

This Race towards buying More Arms between India and Pakistan is going to an interesting one.

Spend so much on arms that the opposing country simply finds it difficult to match.

It appears that India is more then willing to enter this race.With its Larger Reserves it can spend huge chunks on Defence and also take care of spending on the Social-sector.whereas, for Pakistan if it tries to match India, it wont have money to spend on Health, Education,infrastructure etc.
You seem like a Intelligent Fella, But whenever you Embark on Making bold statements that reflect strategy. YOu should do your homework with some good grounding. Arms race is what you have implied!!

If you Look at the Pakistanis they are spending considerably less on defense acquisitions then any modern state with the Same Problems, facing there Sovereignty. Pakistan is not in an Arms race neither is India. they both have genuine Defense requirement that have to be addressed right now. Pakistan is not Spending on F-16 based on India's Su-30 Acquisition, these were Planned acquisitions that have been pending for about 15 years. they were required as a defensive requirement for PAF. The Chinese Frigates are being acquired to replace any of there Future aging depleted fleet and to complement there Pakistan territorial Defense EEC Zones. the Equipments they are Procuring Forms a Composite Defensive system, None of there systems (that are being procured) are with an Anti-INDIA tag Marked on them.

Superbug

what will India do with its 20+ years long development of indegenous tank development? Anybody has any news? What will India buy next?

aaaditya

actually there is no confirmation of the above report,india has just started manufacturing the t-90's and once this is over india has the option to manufacture another 1000 of them.even if they are purchased i dont think it will affect arjun programme that much,these i beleive would be a sudden effort to maintain force levels(this year india plans to sell 800 vaijaiyanta tanks for scrap) also the entire t-72 fleet would not be upgraded(around 800 i beleive) ultimately i expect atleast 300 arjuns to see service .the biggest problem as of now for the arjun is india's lack of success in developing an indigenous 1500hp engine,india currently uses the german engine which is prohibitively expensive(i beleive india should go for israeli engines).:coffee

aaaditya

this year india was considering only two deals fdr the army the 1000+artillery guns(currently bofors is the favourite) of the wheeled and tracked type (its been postpones as of now) and the smerch rocket system which has been cleared as of now,a i billion dollar tank deal would not be sealed so suddenly(there has been absolutely no mention in any indian newschannels or newspapers) also such a big deal would have to pass through several levels of indian beauracracy(the original t90 deal for 310 tanks took 7 years) and the report says the contract may be signed as early as june -july.thats tough to beleive.:coffee

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
the biggest problem as of now for the arjun is india's lack of success in developing an indigenous 1500hp engine,india currently uses the german engine which is prohibitively expensive(i beleive india should go for israeli engines).:coffee
On the Merkava, Israel used the AVDS-1790-9AR diesel supplied by Teledyne Continental Motors. The air-cooled diesel in stalled in the Mk 3 provides 1,200hp, compared to the 900hp engine installed in the Mk 1 and Mk 2. Similar engines power the M48/M60 series and Israeli Centurion vehicles. In other words, Israel has traditionally used US made engines.

The Merkava 4 is powered by the GD 883 V-12 diesel engine rated at 1,500hp. The new engine represents a 25% increase in power compared to the 1,200hp powerpack installed on the Merkava 3. The German company MTU manufactures the engine components and the GD 883 engine is manufactured under licensed production by General Dynamics Land Systems in the USA. The engine is transferred to Israel for installation and integration with the automatic transmission and with the engine computer control system. The tank has automatic five-gear transmission rather than four gears as in the Merkava 3. The transmission system is manufactured by Renk. The single position rotary shock absorbers are installed externally.

The Merkava Mk 4 powerpack is in fact MTU's EUROPACK built under license in the US. This also equips the latest Leo-2s, and export versions of LeClerc, Challenger 2 and M1.

Has anybody considered India is in an arms race not so much with Pakistan but rather with China?!

srirangan

Banned Member
Aaaditya,
I beg to differ. The 400 tanks sale was expected among defence circles, and we have some mainstream media reporting it too. Here's a link:
http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=290981

This purchase must not be seen with the narrow prism of Pakistan. This purchase was not because of the 'indeginous' Al Khalid 2000 that is being produced with co-op from KSA and Ukraine, but is just a routine purchase by the IA to maintain its numbers.

Note the T-90S that India acquires has significant inputs from France, such as the thermal imaging system, and Israel.

aaaditya

hey srirangan has indian army considered equiping its tanks with the israeli trophy self defence systems in place of the shtoras,they say that it is one of the best,how does it function and compare with respect to the shtora or the arena systems.:coffee :confused:

srirangan

Banned Member
I don't think I've heard news of any such upgrade. If you have, fell free to share it with me and the rest of the forum. And btw I'm no hardware expert. :(

BilalK

Isn't the Indian Army going to buy more Russian T-90 tanks, to finally have an overall force if approx. 1000 Russian T-90s?

arjun

Banned Member
vicky007 said:

Why not if country like paki give treath to country like india india should do like us with paki's and i think india is independent country and india dont need any country's advice wat to do to and how to handle it's military forces. And i think the day will come when india will make every defence things likebest tank in the world best fighter jets in the world wat india need is just open doors for private company for defence needed things. I think there r company like TATA , L&t etc... which r able to make engines or any need of defence in short time but i dont know why government dont ask suck a good indian company like TATA and L&T to make engine for arjun or any other military hardwear.India can get wat india want but i think they want to buy from other country so politician can make money in every deal.When india can make nuk bomb by it own why not other military it is like India had prove by making nuke they r able to make every thing by their own but government dont allow to do that no indian want get military harwear from foregien country and depand on them like paki get every thing from china .

adsH

arjun said:
Why not if country like **** give treath to country like india india should do like us with ****'s and i think india is independent country and india dont need any country's advice wat to do to and how to handle it's military forces. And i think the day will come when india will make every defence things likebest tank in the world best fighter jets in the world wat india need is just open doors for private company for defence needed things. I think there r company like TATA , L&t etc... which r able to make engines or any need of defence in short time but i dont know why government dont ask suck a good indian company like TATA and L&T to make engine for arjun or any other military hardwear.India can get wat india want but i think they want to buy from other country so politician can make money in every deal.When india can make nuk bomb by it own why not other military it is like India had prove by making nuke they r able to make every thing by their own but government dont allow to do that no indian want get military harwear from foregien country and depand on them like **** get every thing from china .
First off your not making any sense secondly youve Crossed a racist Line Your Patriotic!, granted your are!!

But your Hate for Pakistanis is Evident. You called the Pakistani's "****", can you explain me why!! Give me a logical Answer not one filled with hatred, well you can't.

Please think logically, A country develops it's defenses Doctrine based on the threats it perceives externally and internally (Home office responsibility). it does not mount or jump into an arms race based on nationalistic pride. Granted pride is Sovereign independence, People that are not Objective in there views can never mount defenses, Please Keep things logical and keep the whole conversation objective.

You can build whatever you want and pakistanis will build whatever they determine is essential for there economic and strategic interests in the region. you don't have to insult them.
There reliance on Chinese Equipment is understandable since they are a smaller and economically restricted. India relies for the majority of its weapon systems from external sources., there i didn't insult your nation but i got the point through to you. Respect others please.

I urge you to read your Message and parse through sentences and fix them!!

arjun

Banned Member
adsH said:
First off your not making any sense secondly youve Crossed a racist Line Your Patriotic!, granted your are!!

Please think logically, A country develops it's defenses Doctrine based on the threats it perceives externally and internally (Home office responsibility). it does not mount or jump into an arms race based on nationalistic pride. Granted pride is Sovereign independence, People that are not Objective in there views can never mount defenses, Please Keep things logical and keep the whole conversation objective.

You can build whatever you want and pakistanis will build whatever they determine is essential for there economic and strategic interests in the region. you don't have to insult them.
There reliance on Chinese Equipment is understandable since they are a smaller and economically restricted. India relies for the majority of its weapon systems from external sources., there i didn't insult your nation but i got the point through to you. Respect others please.

ya u want answer ask your self why they killed so many ppl in kasmir and why they had atteck on india 4 times and last time do not went far away kargil every one knows wat pakistan did in kargil even they had remove eyes and cut ear nose and dick of indian soilders why do u have answer why pakistan always try to atteck on india without indian atteck and u r asking me ??? ask your self u will get all this answer wat u ask me and why indian to buy 400 tanks u gave answer by your self in this lines But your Hate for Pakistanis is Evident. You called the Pakistani's "****", can you explain me why!! Give me a logical Answer not one filled with hatred, well you can't

arjun

Banned Member
adsH said:

But your Hate for Pakistanis is Evident. You called the Pakistani's "****", can you explain me why!! Give me a logical Answer not one filled with hatred, well you can't.

Here is answer u gave your self why india to buy 400 tanks in this lines Please think logically, A country develops it's defenses Doctrine based on the threats it perceives externally and internally (Home office responsibility). it does not mount or jump into an arms race based on nationalistic pride. Granted pride is Sovereign independence, People that are not Objective in there views can never mount defenses, Please Keep things logical and keep the whole conversation objective

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Arjun, word "p-a-ki" is very offensive to Pakistanis. How would you like if Indians were refered to with offensive nick names, you wouldn't like it would you? There is no reason to write "p-a-k-i" when you are fully capable of writing "pakistanis." You have to show some respect to get some back.

Talk about objectivity: Have you ever seen anyone around here call Indians with known indian nick names? No, you have not and you will not.

arjun

Banned Member
WebMaster said:
Arjun, word "p-a-ki" is very offensive to Pakistanis. How would you like if Indians were refered to with offensive nick names, you wouldn't like it would you? There is no reason to write "p-a-k-i" when you are fully capable of writing "pakistanis." You have to show some respect to get some back.

Talk about objectivity: Have you ever seen anyone around here call Indians with known indian nick names? No, you have not and you will not.
To get respect they need to give respect 1st i think and i think u dont know they call Indian kafir may be they dont use that word on here but i hope u must know Indian r also hatrea by them no mattter even they r knoe all over world by that name as i said them go any where in the world and find it

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
I don't care what goes on else where. All I know is that Indians are not called names on this website and we will not allow some indian to call names to other nationalities on this website.

How do you link "kafir" with "p-aki"? Are they same? I think not! First find out what kafir means and then try to use it as an excuse to disrespect and call unesscessary names to other people. There are far worst names out there for Indians but none of them are used here and nor will we allow that to happen. That is not because Indians are special or others are not, it is only because we believe in respect for everyone and idea that you need to give respect in order for you to get that same respect back.

With your unbelievable logic, you have caused this thread to be shut down. Next time come up with a better excuse/reason to insult, mock and disrespect others.

Status
Not open for further replies.