If you wanted to buy a T-72 .......

Tavarisch

Alright, world economic recession, your financial problems, and realism (except for all the designations, calibers and anything related to the T72 and any of it's components that you would include) pushed aside. I've always thought of what it would be like to have your very own tank. For me, I've always loved tanks like the T80 and T64, T72 being the least liked for poor performance in previous wars. (The T80s performance in Chechnya was a minor setback! The T80 will rise again! :mad: )

However, seeing as how cheap the T-72 is, (to give you a picture, a fully-upgraded T-72 to T-90 standard is around 1.3 mil USD, compared to M1 Abrams series which can cost up to more than 2 mil USD as it' price) I think it would be a good idea for you guys to be able to think up of ideas to put whatever you want on this tank.

If you wanted to buy a T-72 (for the sake of owning one), who would you buy it from, what modifications would you put on it, and would you stick to it's auto-loader or use a crewman to load the gun? (And the who in question is referring to governments, not illegal black market traders)

I wouldn't buy a T-72 from the USSR if I were back in the '80s, even if it did cost me 1 RM (most likely will never happen but that would explain the extent that I'd go to). Those monkey models they sold to the Arabs were a disgrace in the history of armaments trade. (no offense to any Soviet sympathizers)

If it were the Russian Federation, I'd buy a base T-72B, not the T-72M1 or T72M if possible. I'd make the turret longer and slightly larger, just enough to give the crew in the turret some additional space. I'd stick the auto-loader from the T12UM1 if I could, if not then the one from the T80UM. I'd put on Relikt ERA instead of Kontakt-5( seeing as it is said to be 5 times better than Kontakt-5), SHTORA Electro-Optical Countermeasure Defensive Aides Suite or ARENA for ATGM protection. (Possibly both, one covering the frontal angle while the other covering the rear) I'd also extend the hull slightly longer to be able to support the newer turret. I'll probably get a stronger engine so that this thing wouldn't be so slow. The fire control system would be the one on the T-64BU or the one on the T80UM.

This tank would also be made of the similar alloy on board of the Challenger 2, further reinforced by Relikt and APS. Of course, it would be heavier and more expensive, but I am not aiming for cost-effectiveness or anything. I just thought it would be cool to see this kind of T-72 about.

Of course, I'd choose the 125mm smoothbore gun (I think the 2A46M-5 would be the latest) that fires BK29M HEAT, BM48 Svinets APFSDS (I think that's what they call it), 3OF26 HE-FRAG, and of course the AT-11 Sniper (or as the Russians call it, 9M119M Refleks). The cupola would have the KPVT 14.5mm for AA and a 12.7mm YakB rotary MG for coax. Let's not forget about blow-out compartments for ammunition.

This tank, of course, is to be operated only by my 2 brothers and me. I get to be in the commander's seat hehe. :)

Tank Designation: T-72DMG2 T2009 "RASHID" (DMG standing for dimodenkan gila-gila which means crazily, or in this context impossibly, modernized in Malay. 2009 denotes the year of modernization and RASHID is my name. ;) )

Maintaining this tank is going to be a bitch for 3 men.

Please note that you are absolutely free to incorporate any NATO or Western equipment into your tank. (The Ukrainians, of all people, have made a T72MP, which uses a 120mm Smoothbore gun that fires NATO rounds.)

Again, I remind you to set aside economic recession, money and impracticality. I just want to see how creative you can get with a basic T-72 chassis.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you include all the PT-91M improvements like:

1. For better mobility in the tropics:

(i) German Renk power pack (and since cost is no object, a new MTU engine, unlike the PT-91M)

(ii) SESM Renk ESM350M driving system and German caterpillar tracks

2. Superior Crew Comfort for the tropics:

(i) The driver section has a steering-wheel instead drag-link (for the T-72 family tank)

(ii) Air-condition system (without which the crew would have to drive with the hatches open due to heat) and chemical protection and detection system

Cheers...

Tavarisch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you include all the PT-91M improvements like:

1. For better mobility in the tropics:

(i) German Renk power pack (1,000 HP engine)

(ii) SESM Renk ESM350M driving system and German caterpillar tracks

2. Superior Crew Comfort for the tropics:

(i) The driver section has a steering-wheel instead drag-link (for the T-72 family tank)

(ii) Air-condition system (without which the crew would have to drive with the hatches open due to heat) and chemical protection and detection system

Cheers...
Doesn't air-conditioning come as a standard on T-72s? Or was that the T-84? ( the tank was projected to be able to operate from -55C to 45C, don't ask me how!) Never the less, I agree. The sweltering heat of the Nusantaran tropics can be a total bitch, much more so if you're in a big composite alloy tank and all those buggery mosquitos. I'll note to add Shieldtox or something inside the tank to kill any Aedes Mosquitos that enter through any openings.

NBC protection also comes standard on a T-72B, so I wouldn't be too bothered with that. The T-72s were supposed to be able to operate with BMPs in NBC environments.

I couldn't be bothered about the driver..... the guy who I project to drive my tank is supposed to be my brother, but I suppose to optimize crew and tank performance, a steering wheel would be in place. The guy who is supposed to operate gun systems would be my other brother. The caterpillar tracks and the engines are just what I maybe looking for. The mud, especially that near the Straits, would render my machine inoperable!

TanaTana

Nice... Di Modenkan Gila gila..? Ha Ha .... But you forgot one very important gadget in a modernized MBT. What type of Commander/Gunner/Driver sighting syster for day/night driving and fighting.

Tavarisch

As I've stated before, I might want to domesticate the ones from the T80UM. Those, as I hear, are very modern.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The question is.... can private collectors buy it? :)

I mean Ukraine does some impressive modernizations, but if we're just looking at cool T-72 mods then the B2 Rogatka shouldn't be overlooked either.

Tavarisch

The question is.... can private collectors buy it? :)

I mean Ukraine does some impressive modernizations, but if we're just looking at cool T-72 mods then the B2 Rogatka shouldn't be overlooked either.
Well, if they were rich like Bill Gates, I guess they could.

I seriously want to make my own tank when I grow up. Imagine going to work while un-buttoned on the Cupola, wearing those Soviet Tank Caps. That would be..... AMAZING.... :D

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
No this would mean sweating on your head like a pig... ;)

Seriously if somebody wants to have his own tank to have fun with than there is nothing that stops him.
There are several tanks out there mostly old WarPac T-55s, BMP-1s, BRDMs and even T-72s.
Buying a driving school T-72 with the nice class house instead of the turret might be the best solution.
Driving around with it is as much fun as with a normal T-72 and you get some comfortable seats for passengers with a good view and relatively comfortable seats.

Getting T-55 ARVs is also an option. They already have this nice platform on the back which just needs a table and some seats bolted onto it.
With some barbecue and a barrel of beer this is going to be the best summer fun one is ever going to have.

If you ever come to europe you can drive some tanks if you want. In several countries (Especially Germany and the eastern european ones) there are several companies which offer rides for fun as some kind of action adventure.
Maybe there are also such companies in your part of the world.

Tavarisch

I think it would be awesome to have your very own tank!
Maybe use it for playing paintball???
:p:
Somebody already beat you to that. They've got tiger tank replicas for Paintball.

And, @Waylander......

Malaysia doesn't have these luxuries.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe in China or Australia you can find such companies?

Heck in China they have old Aircraft carriers in their theme parks I wouldn't wonder if one can find a place were they let you drive some tanks.
And maybe in Australia there are some armor fanatics with privately owned AFVs which offer rides for tourists and other enthusiasts.

Or just buy a copy of Steel Beasts... ;)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Ukraine you can ride in tanks, and even fly in fighter jets. I'm not sure about Russia.

Tavarisch

Maybe in China or Australia you can find such companies?

Heck in China they have old Aircraft carriers in their theme parks I wouldn't wonder if one can find a place were they let you drive some tanks.
And maybe in Australia there are some armor fanatics with privately owned AFVs which offer rides for tourists and other enthusiasts.

Or just buy a copy of Steel Beasts... ;)
I rode on a Centurion in New Zealand once. I wasn't too happy though, because I hate Centurions but what the heck. There was a T-55 but some drunk bugger rammed into it and the tracks needed repairs at that time. I did get to go inside though, and boy was it cramped. Really cramped.

I had a 5 minute orgy while looking through the commanders sights.:p:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
@Bozoo
You should get a T-55 for for less than 50k$. At least here in europe. Shipping it to somewhere else naturally costs more.

@Tavarisch
What's the problem with a Cent?

Tavarisch

@Bozoo
You should get a T-55 for for less than 50k$. At least here in europe. Shipping it to somewhere else naturally costs more.

@Tavarisch
What's the problem with a Cent?
Their NATO. :) Or more importantly, their British.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ah, ok... :rolleyes:

Maybe you should try to ignore your bias against NATO and try to enjoy the western designs for what they are --> interesting machines which are fun to ride.
Just like most of the west doesn't give a **** about the Ts coming out of the WarPac and jusz enjoy the chance to take some of them for a hot ride.

Or do you think that old tankers from the west don't have fun while they ride a T. And they would have much more reasons to reject them than somebody from Malaysia who has some prejudices abozt NATO.

BTW, what is your problem with NATO that it even spoils your fun driving an old Cent? Should be some really important problems...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being Russian I'm going to say right away, I have a deeply ingrained dislike for NATO. It wouldn't stop me from looking around or going for a ride on one of NATO tanks, but if I was purchasing I would buy Russian.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
No problem.
Everybody may have a problem with anybody he wants.

But when one talks about how much fun it would be to own a tank I can hardly understand why driving a Cent is that much of a problem just because the freaky guys from the Island next europe designed and build it... ;)