Hypothetical: Humanitarian Division

lobbie111

Hey guys,

With the ever increasing number of humanitarian missions that foreign forces are being sent on. What if you had a self supporting division (with its own protection) that was scalable and contained all the services essential to a humanitarian situation.

It Must:
  • Be Scalabe (Modular)
  • Air Mobile
  • Self Supporting
  • Rapidly Deployable

Ideally two divisions swapping watches would be great but that's a lot of manpower to pay for!

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
With the ever increasing number of humanitarian missions that foreign forces are being sent on. What if you had a self supporting division (with its own protection) that was scalable and contained all the services essential to a humanitarian situation.
What kind of humanitarian situation? Post-war? Natural? With combat or without?

Sweeping, splurging:

Within three brigades each three identical regiments each with a signals engineering platoon, a NBC platoon, two engineer companies, two medical companies and two logistics companies.
Each brigade with a fourth regiment holding: three engineer companies for running deployable field camps; three medical companies and a UAV-operating recon company for theater surveillance and tracking; to each brigade an associated logistics battalion, and associated a security battalion with two military police and two light infantry companies.

At division level perhaps a not-so-airmobile heavy engineer regiment with two engineer battalions (specialized in reconstruction, NBC) and a battalion of military firefighters; a divisional logistics battalion; and a helicopter squadron with around 20-25 helicopters, including systems for both airborne firefighting and heavy lifting, and a signals battalion for overall coordination.

(**) Division
(*) 1st Brigade
(III) 1-1st Regiment
(I) Engineer Company (Light)
(I) Engineer Company (Light)
(I) Medical Company (Forward)
(I) Medical Company (MASH)
(I) Logistics Company (Vehicle)
(I) Logistics Company (Coordination)
(ooo) NBC Platoon (light decon)
(ooo) Signals Engineer Platoon (Reestablishment)​
(III) 1-2nd Regiment (see 1st)
(III) 1-3rd Regiment (see 1st)
(III) 1-4th Regiment (Heavy)
(I) Engineer Company (Heavy Machinery)
(I) Engineer Company (Infrastructure)
(I) Engineer Company (Bridging)
(I) Medical Company (MASH)
(I) Medical Company (Civilian Coordination)
(I) Medical Company (Transport)
(I) UAV Recon Company​
(II) Brigade Logistics Battalion
(II) Security Battalion (mixed Military Police / Infantry)​
(*) 2nd Brigade (see 1st)
(*) 3rd Brigade (see 1st)
(III) Heavy Engineer Regiment
(II) Reconstruction Btl
(II) Heavy NBC Btl (cleanup)
(II) Firefighting Btl​
(II) Divisional Logistics Btl
(II) Divisional Signals Battalion
(II) Divisional Helicopter Squadron

lobbie111

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All types of humanitarian situations, with it's own combat forces. I like what you have proposed but in order for that to work one of the brigades will have to be reserve we are talking a lot of manpower. Don't you think some light reocnstruction units are needed?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
All types of humanitarian situations, with it's own combat forces. I like what you have proposed but in order for that to work one of the brigades will have to be reserve we are talking a lot of manpower.
Yeah, we are. Somewhere above 15.000 men easily in that outline. And it's still missing certain forces :D

What i'd still like to include would be e.g. specialized companies operating field camps - both for the brigades (one company per brigade should be enough), as well as for evacuated/homeless/etc civilians of course (perhaps another two companies? Or just make it a full battalion for each brigade). Got some further ideas along that line, could probably blow the division up to 20.000 men.
Don't you think some light reocnstruction units are needed?
Nah, not really. Those two engineer companies in the heavy regiments - infrastructure and heavy machinery - would likely take that task, in coordination with civilian efforts.
The role of the engineer companies in the three regiments would be pretty much any initial tasks (e.g. the digging after an earthquake), later could support the "heavy" companies and feed them with manpower.
The Reconstruction Btl of the overall division would be more concerned with large-scale projects; say coordinating the rebuilding of damaged (or non-existant) public buildings, maybe establishing water supply on a larger scale (canals etc), and such things.

As for some of the other units:

UAV company: would contain platoons specific to aerial ground survey and surveillance and perhaps a number of teams with small drones for indepth searching of a disaster zone
Regimental logistics companies: one ensuring supply for the units of the regiment, the other coordinating and supporting civilian efforts (e.g. organizing supply distribution). About a company tasked with the latter would also exist within the brigade and division logistics battalions.
Regimental medical companies: one with about ten squad-sized teams operating mobile "in the field", the other establishing say three local small medical stations.
Brigade medical companies: one establishing a single larger MASH; one coordinating, and supporting, rescue and support efforts by civilian hospitals; one dedicated for medical transport, including out of the disaster zone.
Helo Squadron: probably about a dozen heavy and a dozen medium helos, prepped for firefighting, and at least the medium helos outfitted with sensors to support search and survey efforts.
NBC Forces: Single platoon for localized problems (e.g. chemical spills), with the NBC btl at division level dual-role and able to engage in both large-scale decontamination and - together with a engineer unit - in clean-up of contaminated areas.

The "Security Battalion" could e.g. consist of one military police and three infantry companies; the infantry companies would exclusively provide force protection to the brigade's camps (perhaps force protection teams accompanying other forces occasionally too), not much more possible with that force. For anything beyond pure force protection, or a heightened security state, i'd recommend an infantry brigade being attached to the division.

lobbie111

What about liason with civilian organisations? I read a book where the US went into somalia and the humanitarian organisations were openly hostile towards the military some sort of either embassy or military liason is required.

Also we would need scientists or engineers to assess the damage say of a seizmic event or a flood, to ensure safety and the rebuilding efforts are not in vain.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Could probably all be hooked very well within the staff units of the respective units, none of that really exceeds a squad or a platoon in size.

Geological and such scientific services probably only at division level, they can send a team along with a deploying brigade for surveys and such.

Note that Somalia was a real mess organisation-wise, on all sides. Or at least the two guys i've known who went down there in '92 with the UN contingent said so.

lobbie111

I think the MASH units in 1-1 to 1-4 should be dropped in favour of more forward deployable medical elements or make the MASH units reserves as they consume a lot of resources and a lot of manpower on their own.

Somalia to my knowledge was a situation where the UN would not accept responsibility from the US but I think that is a very one sided argument.

The UAV concept is really useful for a humanitarian situation, what kind of UAV's would they be looking at?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think the MASH units in 1-1 to 1-4 should be dropped in favour of more forward deployable medical elements or make the MASH units reserves as they consume a lot of resources and a lot of manpower on their own.
Hmm, not that much really. I'm thinking a single MASH with perhaps 60-70 beds and 120 personnel at brigade level, and say per "field regiment" 3 or 4 small medical field stations with under 20 personnel each.
The UAV concept is really useful for a humanitarian situation, what kind of UAV's would they be looking at?
Probably something the size of KZO or similar-sized (e.g. RQ-7 Shadow) for surveillance. For forward search teams something like RQ-16A Hawk

lobbie111

Hmm, not that much really. I'm thinking a single MASH with perhaps 60-70 beds and 120 personnel at brigade level, and say per "field regiment" 3 or 4 small medical field stations with under 20 personnel each.

Probably something the size of KZO or similar-sized (e.g. RQ-7 Shadow) for surveillance. For forward search teams something like RQ-16A Hawk
I mistyped numbers, I meant 1-3 as forward deployable assests and the fourth "heavy" division carrying the MASH.

Another useful addition would be some sort of dog platoon/company with mixed SAR, Explosives and Guard/Attack/General purpose dogs.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Looked some stuff up:

Force Layout of a Mobile Rescue Station, as used in Banda Aceh by Germany ; 22 beds

66 men medical station
9 men mobile ground personnel (ambulance, mobile emergency team)
15 men logistics personnel for hospital move
15 men helicopter crew + airborne med-evac team

Now, say we distribute the above and adjust:

150 men (44-bed MASH) -> Bde MASH Coy
(incl. 2 ambulances, 2 emergency teams)
30 men (hospital logistics) -> platoon in Bde Med Transport Coy

54 men (airborne med-evac teams) -> attached to Div Helo Sq (helos extra)

As a proposal:

The 1st Med Coy of each Rgt could operate e.g. two airborne and two truck-based "Mobile Rescue Stations" (each: 12 men), plus two 10-bed care stations that can be attached to these (each: 18 men) and a command element - total 90 men.

The 2nd Med Coy of each Rgt could operate a single light Airborne MASH (data in German) - 20+2 beds with 90 men as well, with logistics, ambulances etc embedded.

The "Civilian Coordination" Medical Coy could have six teams with the same 12 men as a Mobile Rescue station, but without the hospital; these would be supported by six ambulance teams plus a command and liaison element for a total of 120 men.

The "Medical Transport Coy", apart from the platoon that moves the MASH, would have six squads dedicated to medical transport (each 2 medium trucks, 16 men), a squad specifically for transporting isolation/contaminated patients (2 trucks, 16 men) and a command and coordination element for a total of 150 men.

The medical elements would therefore need the following elements:
9x 90 men 1st Medical Coy of Rgts
9x 90 men 2nd Medical Coy of Rgts
3x 120 men Bde Med Coordination Coy
3x 150 men Bde Med Transport Coy
3x 150 men Bde MASH Coy
54 men : med-evac squads in Helo Sq

Total: 2934 men (+ 36 men helicopter crews).

Hospital Equipment total in division:
- 3 Mobile Hospitals (44 beds)
- 9 Airborne Mobile Hospital Stations (22 beds)
- 18 airborne Rescue Stations
- 18 truck-based Rescue Stations
- 18 truck-based Bed Stations (10 beds)
- 21 medical transport squads (for transporting 10+ people each?)
- 6 airborne med-evac squads
- 18 medical teams for supporting civilian hospitals
- 90 ambulance teams (operating with above stations)
- 72 mobile emergency teams (operating with above stations)

Total capacity therefore 510 beds if combined. A single 22-bed Mobile Station sent by EADS treated several thousand patients in the weeks after Hurricane Katrina, from which we can deduce a capacity to treat up to say 100,000 patients with injuries of varying degrees after a natural disaster.

lobbie111

Looked some stuff up:

Force Layout of a Mobile Rescue Station, as used in Banda Aceh by Germany ; 22 beds

66 men medical station
9 men mobile ground personnel (ambulance, mobile emergency team)
15 men logistics personnel for hospital move
15 men helicopter crew + airborne med-evac team

Now, say we distribute the above and adjust:

150 men (44-bed MASH) -> Bde MASH Coy
(incl. 2 ambulances, 2 emergency teams)
30 men (hospital logistics) -> platoon in Bde Med Transport Coy

54 men (airborne med-evac teams) -> attached to Div Helo Sq (helos extra)

As a proposal:

The 1st Med Coy of each Rgt could operate e.g. two airborne and two truck-based "Mobile Rescue Stations" (each: 12 men), plus two 10-bed care stations that can be attached to these (each: 18 men) and a command element - total 90 men.

The 2nd Med Coy of each Rgt could operate a single light Airborne MASH (data in German) - 20+2 beds with 90 men as well, with logistics, ambulances etc embedded.

The "Civilian Coordination" Medical Coy could have six teams with the same 12 men as a Mobile Rescue station, but without the hospital; these would be supported by six ambulance teams plus a command and liaison element for a total of 120 men.

The "Medical Transport Coy", apart from the platoon that moves the MASH, would have six squads dedicated to medical transport (each 2 medium trucks, 16 men), a squad specifically for transporting isolation/contaminated patients (2 trucks, 16 men) and a command and coordination element for a total of 150 men.

The medical elements would therefore need the following elements:
9x 90 men 1st Medical Coy of Rgts
9x 90 men 2nd Medical Coy of Rgts
3x 120 men Bde Med Coordination Coy
3x 150 men Bde Med Transport Coy
3x 150 men Bde MASH Coy
54 men : med-evac squads in Helo Sq

Total: 2934 men (+ 36 men helicopter crews).

Hospital Equipment total in division:
- 3 Mobile Hospitals (44 beds)
- 9 Airborne Mobile Hospital Stations (22 beds)
- 18 airborne Rescue Stations
- 18 truck-based Rescue Stations
- 18 truck-based Bed Stations (10 beds)
- 21 medical transport squads (for transporting 10+ people each?)
- 6 airborne med-evac squads
- 18 medical teams for supporting civilian hospitals
- 90 ambulance teams (operating with above stations)
- 72 mobile emergency teams (operating with above stations)

Total capacity therefore 510 beds if combined. A single 22-bed Mobile Station sent by EADS treated several thousand patients in the weeks after Hurricane Katrina, from which we can deduce a capacity to treat up to say 100,000 patients with injuries of varying degrees after a natural disaster.
I like the concept of the small 22 bed systems, that is actually quite a light medical contingent in comparison to what I was thinking you had in mind that is a good figure. I think by making the MASH itself a reserve unit it would greatly reduce the amount of permanent personell required. As the MASH will likely deployed latest it allows the calling up of reserves, it could also be linked with a doctor training program of some description in the civil side of things.

With all this equipment and men we are going to need a really powerful communications/signalling equipment and a large (in proportion to other military units) amount of signalling units. What are your thoughts on signalling equipment?

I was thinking of something like the Australian Army Parakeet satellite communications vehicle (6x6 Land Rover based).

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hmm, probably SatCom units at regiment level embedded in the staff company.
Below that perhaps using Tetra or Tetrapol systems?

Imho something like 4-man teams at company level operating containerized Tetra hubs.

B.Smitty

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hey guys,

An interesting concept, however I think the costs of standing up and maintaining such a unit would prove prohibitive. It may be more wise to consider a "humanitarian profile" MTOE and training for regular infantry units, and then maintain specialized, smaller unit attachments. This way any such unit can be "humanitarianized", increasing the overall number of units available for surge or sustained situations.

Along somewhat similar lines, I recently read a RAND report entitled "A Stability Police Force for the United States". It can be found here,

RAND | Monographs | A Stability Police Force for the United States: Justification and Options for Creating U.S. Capabilities

In it, they describe the need for a deployable, high-end police capacity to assist local governments during stability operations. This could be one such attachment.

Also, I'm not sure MASH units focusing primarily on battlefield surgery is the most appropriate medical unit for this. They will need far more infectious disease capability (e.g. diagnosis, quarantine, treatment, immunization), and wide-ranging health issues. It should also have veterinary unit.

The unit should have on hand significant capability to generate power and large quantities of fresh water.

The unit should also have significant expertise in training locals across its spectrum of capabilities and repairing local equipment.

One reason to not make this a military organization is that local governments might be far more amenable to allowing them to operate in their country. So (if done in the U.S.) perhaps consider putting them under the State Department or USAID.

Last edited: