Husband has an issue, need advice...

Gate Girl

Hello everyone.

My husband is an E-4 in the Army. He was just recently given a field grade - article 15 for reporting to duty 45 minutes late when the road conditions on base were Amber. He lost his E-5 rank and is now working extra duty hours for 45 days.

For the last 4 days he has been working from 0500 to 2300, scrubbing cement steps, washing sidewalks and doing very physically demanding tasks.

My husband got home from work at midnight absolutely drained, blood shot eyes and almost delirious. He fell asleep on the couch in full uniform and was supposed to wake up 3 hours later to get ready for work.

He accidentally slept in and woke up at 6am. Needless to say, he showed up to work late and now they are starting his chapter packet.

My husband is literally working himself to death and I just do not think this is right. He has never been over an hour late to work, he's never been in big trouble in his 9 years of serving. The punishment for being late when the roads were amber is extreme and now he's very sleep deprived and expected to get 3 to 4 hours of sleep. This is after doing extremely physically demanding jobs for 18 hours.

Is there anything that can be done to save his career? What route should we take? I know I am just a spouse, but I have to step up and try to defend his career because he just simply does not have the time. Thank you. [/B][/B]

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The correct approach would be for him to talk to his NCOIC, explain the situation, and figure out what can be done. Honestly, this sounds like somebody has it in for your husband. Being late once doesn't usually result in demotions. I don't know if the army has a process for redressing grievances by appealing up the chain of command, but in the USMC you can always request mast to someone higher in the chain of command then the individual whom you have a problem with.

All in all there isn't much you do as a spouse, this is something he needs to bring up his chain of command. From what you describe it sounds like he's being persecuted. Could there be something you don't know about his situation?

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You, should approach the base padre on behalf of your partner, and explain the situation to him/her. You should ask the padre to approach the partners senior.
Has your partner been in any other trouble?

EXSSBN2005

While being late usually is only punished if its a recurring problem perhaps he is in a situation like I almost found myself in, another guy in my division (naval equivelent size of a small platoon) was almost always late showing up for muster and they were looking to court marshall him, I was late once and got hauled in for counceling, when I brought up the other guy I was told "we are looking at masting him" since I was late just once in 4 years at that point I tried to argue for some leniency and I'm not sure if I would have gotten it at my command level b/c they were looking to make examples and might have had to ask for admirals mast to get a fair shake at it.

See if there is anything that can be done to mitigate it, from the sounds of it he was late a second time while on extra duty, maybe have him ask for something like double the time but less hours per day or some other means of reprimand. It could be like what Feanor says and someone has it out for him, maybe / maybe not perhaps sleep near the muster point in a BEQ or some other type of barracks close to muster point until the punishment time is done, getting 6 hours beat 4 hrs pretty often back when I was in but I could sleep in my bunk on the ship if I was getting stupid long hours like that, but then again I wasn't married at the time.

If the sequestration does go through I know they are looking to reduce numbers in the Army but it hasn't gone through and hope they can all agree to something to try to get back on better fiscal policy w/o going to extreme measures like this (sorry about the politics but it has alot to do with military budgeting and pay at the moment.)

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Your husband's article 15 was generated by a Major or higher. As an army officer myself I would be highly suspect that the article 15 is based solely on being 45 minutes late, on one occassion. Typically, Majors and Lt. Colonels have much more to worry about than a soldier who is 45 minutes late for work, regardless of the reason. I recommend you start with the chaplain, at least you will have an advocate.

romeo6

Hello everyone.

My husband is an E-4 in the Army. He was just recently given a field grade - article 15 for reporting to duty 45 minutes late when the road conditions on base were Amber. He lost his E-5 rank and is now working extra duty hours for 45 days.

For the last 4 days he has been working from 0500 to 2300, scrubbing cement steps, washing sidewalks and doing very physically demanding tasks.

My husband got home from work at midnight absolutely drained, blood shot eyes and almost delirious. He fell asleep on the couch in full uniform and was supposed to wake up 3 hours later to get ready for work.

He accidentally slept in and woke up at 6am. Needless to say, he showed up to work late and now they are starting his chapter packet.

My husband is literally working himself to death and I just do not think this is right. He has never been over an hour late to work, he's never been in big trouble in his 9 years of serving. The punishment for being late when the roads were amber is extreme and now he's very sleep deprived and expected to get 3 to 4 hours of sleep. This is after doing extremely physically demanding jobs for 18 hours.

Is there anything that can be done to save his career? What route should we take? I know I am just a spouse, but I have to step up and try to defend his career because he just simply does not have the time. Thank you. [/B][/B]
Have your husband go to his Area Defense Council for info or help.
Article 15 is usually given for a incident of serious misconduct (ie DUI, violence, AWOL), or a pattern of misconduct (continued tardiness, financial problems, or substandard duty performance) over a period of time. A single incident of late for duty during hazardous weather conditions would not usually trigger a Article 15.
If your husband has any Letters of Counseling or Letters of Reprimand in his Personnel Information File(PIF) and low ratings on duty evaluations, a combination
of these factors could trigger a Article 15. The fact that while on extra duty he arrived
late for duty is a serious matter. That is why he is being chaptered out. You and your husband have to remember the Army along with the other services are drawing down
forces and only the top performers will be promoted and allowed to re-enlist.