HMMWV family of vehicles

God Bless USA

The USA has used the HMMWV family of vehicles for a long time. They proved there worth over the years. Is it time to find a replacement vehicle for the future? We read about the MRAP vehicles being produced. They are large and do not the mobility of the HMMWV family of vehicles. The M1114/XM1114HMMWV Up-Armored Armament Carrier provides more protection but it still has a flat bottom. I've read about the Cobra Wheeled Light Armoured Vehicle, Turkey which provides m ore protection. So would they be better off with a new design for the future like the Cobra or something with a V-Hull design?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The USA has used the HMMWV family of vehicles for a long time. They proved there worth over the years. Is it time to find a replacement vehicle for the future? We read about the MRAP vehicles being produced. They are large and do not the mobility of the HMMWV family of vehicles. The M1114/XM1114HMMWV Up-Armored Armament Carrier provides more protection but it still has a flat bottom. I've read about the Cobra Wheeled Light Armoured Vehicle, Turkey which provides m ore protection. So would they be better off with a new design for the future like the Cobra or something with a V-Hull design?
IMV yes, a purpose built vehicle is due. In many respects the HMMWV, or at least the up-armoured variants, should be replaced. Aside from greater vulnerability to mines/IEDs due to a flat bottom, the increased weight for the add-on armour increases the wear and tear on the vehicle. It works out to having a service life of only around 5 years.

I think a different vehicle, designed from the beginning with a v-hull and additional weight available for add-on armour would be preferable. The HMMWV has seen good service, but was designed over twenty years ago for a somewhat different operating environment.

As for the MRAP vehicles, I believe it depends somewhat on which ones are referenced, but I would imagine that some of the 'Mog-based designs are at least as mobile offroad as an up-armoured HMMWV.

-Cheers

winnyfield

A HMMWV replacement project is already underway featuring lessons learnt from Iraq ie. mine protection, modular armor etc. Project is called the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV).

God Bless USA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know about the Joint Light Tactical vehicle. But while the project is ongoing but a couple of years ago Force Protection fielded the Cheetah. The Cheetah which is a MRAP Cat I Light Tactical Vehicle could of helped alot until a permanent replayment was fielded. Does the military wait too long to find solutions to problems?

Chris Berman

HMMWV crew compartment option

We at Granite Tactical Vehicles have designed and developed a replacment capsule for the tired old HMMWV line of vehicles.
We make a capsule that is a plug and play bridge solution to the lesser protected HMMWV. We provide MRAP level of protection for the HMMWV, by simply removing the existing crew compartment and replacing it with ours. This process take about 8 hours with 2 men with minimal training and tools.

We are struggling to get this information out to the military, so if any of you want to take a look at our project, please visit www.granitetacticalvehicles.com and see if our project makes sense. If you have any other areas that you might be able to share this information, I am sure the troops on the ground would appreciate you help getting this information out there so they may save their lives, legs and stop burning due to unprotected crew compartments.

Sincerely

Chris Berman

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
We at Granite Tactical Vehicles have designed and developed a replacment capsule for the tired old HMMWV line of vehicles.
We make a capsule that is a plug and play bridge solution to the lesser protected HMMWV. We provide MRAP level of protection for the HMMWV, by simply removing the existing crew compartment and replacing it with ours. This process take about 8 hours with 2 men with minimal training and tools.

We are struggling to get this information out to the military, so if any of you want to take a look at our project, please visit www.granitetacticalvehicles.com and see if our project makes sense. If you have any other areas that you might be able to share this information, I am sure the troops on the ground would appreciate you help getting this information out there so they may save their lives, legs and stop burning due to unprotected crew compartments.

Sincerely

Chris Berman
Pretty neat concept, are you looking at just U.S military clients or is this approved for countries abroad that use the Humvee also.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Sincerely

Chris Berman
Interesting concept, welcome to the forum.