Firing a Rifle

ba11istics

I'm new to this forum so pardon me for asking such a mediocre question. I have searched online articles on what exactly happens inside an assault rifle say the M16, like after pulling the trigger. All other sites have been rather vague :(
Could someone please explain what ever happens in layman terms? I got until the hammer hitting the firing pin, then what?

joeroot

its ok not all sites have info its like any other assualt rifle the force form the bullte igniting launching the projectile foward
im not totally sure on this but i believe the gas goes through a chamber and pushes the spent round out letting the spring push one new round back up and this occures all the way over and over again till the cartridge is spent
if the gun jams pull the reload handle on the side back take the clip out make sure the barrell is empty reload and arm
but first and formost put it on safety for the love of god do not look and check while its hot and i know you know this but you would be amazed at the idiocy that occures in this world:nutkick

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'm new to this forum so pardon me for asking such a mediocre question. I have searched online articles on what exactly happens inside an assault rifle say the M16, like after pulling the trigger. All other sites have been rather vague :(
Could someone please explain what ever happens in layman terms? I got until the hammer hitting the firing pin, then what?
1. The firing pin ignites the percussion cap, this ignite the main charge in the round,
2. gases force the brass casing to form a seal around the bore forcing the bullet down the barrel, following the bullet is the gas, most of the gas is expended out the rifle with a small amount travelling thru a small hole in the barrel then thru a gas tube back into the bolt, this forces the bolt rewards ejecting the spent case,
3. Bolt compresses a spring, spring forces bolt forward again, bolt uplifts another round from magazine, chambers round then the process starts all over again. basic M16 cycle

ba11istics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! I have another question though...
What causes the bullet to spin? And why does the bullet spin (purpose)?

Oh and anybody have videos or animations on this cycle or anything about the bullet flying through the air or hitting a body? Best if it is about the M16 or AK47

Tavarisch

Thanks! I have another question though...
What causes the bullet to spin? And why does the bullet spin (purpose)?

Oh and anybody have videos or animations on this cycle or anything about the bullet flying through the air or hitting a body? Best if it is about the M16 or AK47
The bullet spins because the rifling or the spiral grooving of the barrel imparts a spin on it upon leaving the chamber. The concept behind it is similar to that of throwing an American football, the spin preserves angular momentum on the bullet and allows it to not only travel at a more accurate trajectory but also a longer a distance. At least, that's what I can understand.

Correct me if I'm wrong gents!

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The bullet spins because the rifling or the spiral grooving of the barrel imparts a spin on it upon leaving the chamber. The concept behind it is similar to that of throwing an American football, the spin preserves angular momentum on the bullet and allows it to not only travel at a more accurate trajectory but also a longer a distance. At least, that's what I can understand.

Correct me if I'm wrong gents!

Pretty much spot on. Althogh not sure about the longer range claim. It's all about accuracy. Different calibres and even different rounds require different degrees of twist in the rifling to optimise the accuracy of the catridge. From memory the SS109 round needs a different pitch to the rifling than the older 5.56 rounds. If you ever get a chance to have a bit of a dig through the butts area of a rifle range, you'll find expended bullets with the rifling marks on the jacketing of the projectile.

the road runner

I am under the impression that rifiling dose make your projectile go further.(???)

Rifling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Video of a Rifled barrel......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkR9YLU7eAU&feature=related]YouTube - Rifling[/ame]

Most shot guns do not have rifiling.They are a smooth bore gun,and only fire at short ranges.

Tavarisch your comment of a bullet like an american football is spot on.To add ,the further the ball is thrown over a distance,it (the ball)will drop.Basically the bullet will have gravity working against it.E.G..If you shoot at 100meters your bullet may drop 1cm,at 200 meters your bullet may drop 2cm,at 600 meters you bullet may drop 10cm.Add wind into the equation and that is where the Art of shooting comes into play.

some good videos on AK vs M16,watch the AK barrel deform:eek

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0]YouTube - AK 47 vs M16[/ame]

Here is how a M16 works...animated

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSqYvWib1og&feature=related"]YouTube - AR-15/M-16 Function Animation[/ame]

Just type in AK Vs M16 in youtube ba11istics,you will be watchin all night:D

Regards

Last edited:

F-15 Eagle

I don't know all that fancy stuff but when you pull the trigger you get a slight recoil, a very loud bang and your ears hurt.:D

Can't really explain whats it like to fire a rifle you just have to do it.

9ak

Bullet spins because the center of gravity is behind the tip of the bullet. In flight bullet is affected by drag force. The drag force slows it down, and because of the fact that center of gravity of bullet is behind the tip it creates a momentum that will pithch the bullet around the tip. Angular speed gives the bullet stability, works like giro, so it wouldn't pitch around it's tip. So rotation gives the bullet both accuracy and range.
http://www.mypicx.com/10292009/bulletsimpleDF/
There is a sketch in this url.
Bullet's flight would be a bit wobbly.
Hope it helps. Sorry for my bad English.

Palnatoke

Banned Member
When the projectile spins, it has an angular momentum (Which has a direction) In order to change the angular momentum the projectile has to subjected to a force. So, simply, by giving your projectile (a lot of) angular momentum you make it hard to change the direction of the spin~direction of projectile.

Also, while the projectile spins, air molecules are transported from top side to bottom side of projectile, this develops a pressure difference, which's net effect is that the projectile is acted upon by a force that points up. This gives increased range, and explains why an horisontally fired projectile normally follows an upward curved path.

cadets333

Hi,
Do u know what type of weapons they use in the australian army these days.
im joinin cadets an i want to know more about what I could do in the future.