FFL - Crohns disease

Benzh

Have wanted to join the Army for the last few years but after heading to the British Army site i found out that im automatically disqualified due to having a stomach condition known as "Crohns disease". Might sound strange but i love the idea of the training, wars, being apart of a team, making friends for life, gaining a sense of pride, honor etc.. which all comes with joining the military but as i mentioned my condition stops me from joining most if not all forces.

I have had a look around trying to find an answer to my question, even messaged the FFL just waiting for a response. Can you join the FFL if you have Crohns disease? Mine isn't bad, might have a flare up now and then but nothing that would physically stop me from doing all the training/tasks that you are told to do.

Im pretty sure i know the answer but its always best to make sure because if i am able to join then maybe in a years time once i finish my bricklaying course ill sign up for the 5 years. Reason for finishing my course first is so if/when i leave the FFL i have something to fall back on.

Thanks in advance
Ben

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Have a look at their recruitment website, Crohns disease would most likely count as a Chronic disease and rule you out from joining the French Foreign Legion.

Only one way to find out for sure though.

Good luck.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Have wanted to join the Army for the last few years but after heading to the British Army site i found out that im automatically disqualified due to having a stomach condition known as "Crohns disease". Might sound strange but i love the idea of the training, wars, being apart of a team, making friends for life, gaining a sense of pride, honor etc.. which all comes with joining the military but as i mentioned my condition stops me from joining most if not all forces.

I have had a look around trying to find an answer to my question, even messaged the FFL just waiting for a response. Can you join the FFL if you have Crohns disease? Mine isn't bad, might have a flare up now and then but nothing that would physically stop me from doing all the training/tasks that you are told to do.

Im pretty sure i know the answer but its always best to make sure because if i am able to join then maybe in a years time once i finish my bricklaying course ill sign up for the 5 years. Reason for finishing my course first is so if/when i leave the FFL i have something to fall back on.

Thanks in advance
Ben
I'd really have real good think about the FFL. Once your in it is very hard to break the five year enlistment contract, especially if you end up hating it. The FFL discipline is fairly harsh too and they don't take kindly to people who decide to leave before their enlistment is up. The fact that you have the disease and it's potential to disable you for a short time will, I think, count you out. It is not so much that you would be able to do all the tasks assigned, but the risk of it flaring up in a combat or dangerous situation. They would see it as not only a risk and possible endangerment to yourself but also to the others who are with you. My advice would be to speak to someone who has served in the Legion and have a good talk with them.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but just pointing out obvious areas of concern that the Army had and the FFL may have. I admire and commend your willingness to serve, but hopefully you can find other avenues and options in fullfilling your desire to serve your country. Good luck.