Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

ExPB14_JAS-39_Gripen.jpg

ExPB14_Mirage2000.jpg

6_EXPB14_20140729_088_3_RSAF_F16s.jpg

5_EXPB14_20140729_143_3_RSAF_F-15SGs.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

EX-Military equipment for public sale.

This is a discussion on EX-Military equipment for public sale. within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; I would like to know what requirements/legalities there are to purchasing ex military equipment in Australia.I have seen a number ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old August 22nd, 2009   #1
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
EX-Military equipment for public sale.

I would like to know what requirements/legalities there are to purchasing ex military equipment in Australia.I have seen a number of websites that sell old Tanks,BMP ect............

Tanks Army Trucks Jeeps for sale page

You can really own a TANK?

I would think that its not like buying a car.............there would have to be some requirement to make the Tanks weapons non operational ect.

All comments welcomed
the road runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009   #2
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the road runner View Post
I would like to know what requirements/legalities there are to purchasing ex military equipment in Australia.I have seen a number of websites that sell old Tanks,BMP ect............

Tanks Army Trucks Jeeps for sale page

You can really own a TANK?

I would think that its not like buying a car.............there would have to be some requirement to make the Tanks weapons non operational ect.

All comments welcomed
well yea they make the main gun non operational and i believe there is a permit you must aquire inorder to even own a tank i mean it is a couple tons of rolling death
joeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009   #3
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
I know there are examples in Russia of tanks and APCs being converted into regular off-road vehicles for civilian use.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009   #4
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
Threads:
In Germany you also have to replace 1m of armor with a thin metal sheet located at the drivers station.
This shall prevent the armored vehicle being used for something criminal with the police having no means of stopping it. This way they can shoot through the thin metal plate.

There are several armored (tracked and wheeled) as well as many other military vehicles in private use here in Germany.
Most of the armored vehicles consist of WarPac (NVA, polish, czech, red army,...) material and some Bundeswehr stuff.
The non-armored vehicles are more often also from western armies.
For lovers of military vehicles Europe should be the praised land as there is alot of equipment available from the reductions in western and eastern armies. Lot's of interesting vehicles are available and getting spare parts is less of a problem than elsewhere.
And distances are small.

For example I managed to get to drive T-55s, T-72s and BMP-1 owned by private persons.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Thanx Feanor and Waylander and joeroot.

I have found some info that say that they even OXY cut the front of the Tanks Armour,to weaken the Tanks structure i assume.The reason i asked this question is because you see alot of Private owners of MBT/planes ect in USA , Europe and and Asia..........

The reason i started this thread was to see if people did have any knowladge of Privately owned
Military Equipment.I would hope people could use this Thread to discuss the whearabouts and refurbishment, of old military equipment.

Here is one for the tank nuts

what a great job they did on this old war horse.

Also why dose this one bring out the treasure hunter in me

the road runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009   #6
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Here's a Russian car sales site listing plenty of BRDMs for sale.

, , , . ..

Here's the company Perspective which sells military vehicles, and converted military vehicles, including BTRs, tanks, and various special trucks. They also do service, tuning etc.

????? ??????????!

Here's a Ukranian ad advertising sale and purchase of BTRs.

(-60), ,

Here's our MoD link to auctions of old military equipment as they come up.

From what I ran into online, there are multiple companies in Russia that convert BRDMs, and BTRs into off-road vehicles, install leather seats (and other nice things), and handle all the paper-work for you (for a price).

Last edited by Feanor; September 30th, 2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old September 30th, 2009   #7
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Germany officially doesn't sell anything that's to private persons that's on the war weapons list - that includes e.g. tank chassis. By modifying the armour as outlined by Waylander, a tank is no longer considered armoured.

Other vehicles and equipment is sold as-is all the time in Germany by VEBEG. Currently about 20 ex-Bundeswehr 2-ton and 5-ton trucks, a few G-Wagon and other light stuff. Occasionally ships, there's a old Type 430 torpedo salvage boat and a couple police patrol boats on there right now for example. Very rarely aircraft, and only for scrapping purposes.
kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010   #8
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
questions

My name is J im prior service to the Us army and this may sound like a stupid question coming from me but in recent googaling ive been noticing things like this that our gov. is sellin military equement to privit partys,, now what my question is how could obtain some of this equemint for im always intrested in military equement , and any one has any ideas, or links or knows some one i can talk to please let me know im vary curious as to this indevor ,
Diaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010   #9
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaga View Post
My name is J im prior service to the Us army and this may sound like a stupid question coming from me but in recent googaling ive been noticing things like this that our gov. is sellin military equement to privit partys,, now what my question is how could obtain some of this equemint for im always intrested in military equement , and any one has any ideas, or links or knows some one i can talk to please let me know im vary curious as to this indevor ,
What kind of equipment are you looking for?
Old December 13th, 2010   #10
Lieutenant Colonel
Threads:
My local high school (Ballina High) has as a part of its marine discovery centre 3 Larc's and 4 ex army 6x6 trucks specially converted. The Larc's required permission from the US State Department and Australian Department of Defence, they are the only school in the world to own and actively use Larc's for educational purposes
aussienscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010   #11
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
What kind of equipment are you looking for?
well anything really but more or less vehicals mabey weapons if i can, i know they will be dis amred, but ya know somthing i could mount on a wall. but like humvees mabey smoke machines, gas masks, uniforms and full gear, (and i appologise i know reading this list makes it sound like im preparing for a war, i AM NOT only wish to collect things that ive used in in the feild my self ) tho the humvee i have a idea for to make a nice street leagle ride, lol but ya thats kinda genral idea of what im lookin for ,, can u help?
Diaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010   #12
Super Moderator
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaga View Post
well anything really but more or less vehicals mabey weapons if i can, i know they will be dis amred, but ya know somthing i could mount on a wall. but like humvees mabey smoke machines, gas masks, uniforms and full gear, (and i appologise i know reading this list makes it sound like im preparing for a war, i AM NOT only wish to collect things that ive used in in the feild my self ) tho the humvee i have a idea for to make a nice street leagle ride, lol but ya thats kinda genral idea of what im lookin for ,, can u help?
Call someone at your old service branch and enquire with them. I'm sure as an ex serviceman you can understand why we can't help you with this.
Bonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010   #13
Private First Class
Threads:
You might also want to try your local national guard units as their logistics persons might know where they dispose of their used equipment, most of the surplus humvees that I have seen on sale were so beat up they would require extensive repairs to be driveable again let alone street legal, might want to contact American General division of who ever owns them now about where you could try to acquire one newer than totally trashed. For all the following links google is your friend and they are the top links just type in "xyz for sale" with xyz being what you want.

AM General LLC - Mobility solutions for the 21st Century

smoke machines : Smoke Generators | BullEx

Gas Masks : Welcome to Army Gas Masks and Filters: ARMY Issue Gas Masks from around the World - NBC Filters - NBC Suits - Respirators - Military Surplus GasMask -

uniform : local army surplus, just google your town and local surplus they might have what you want

full gear : umm go make it, not sure what else you need but again army surplus, or maybe ebay, amazon or some other online retailer.

Last edited by EXSSBN2005; December 14th, 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling and typos
EXSSBN2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010
Diaga
This message has been deleted by OPSSG. Reason: Violation of Forum Rules: One-liner
Old December 15th, 2010   #14
General
Threads:
No disrespect intended but are you a real native speaking former US soldier?
I am far away from speaking perfect english but your posts are hard to read.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010   #15
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
No disrespect intended but are you a real native speaking former US soldier?
I am far away from speaking perfect english but your posts are hard to read.

make perfct sense to me, just seems like hes in the older age group not so computer savvy, there are quite a few typos...
SASWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: