EX-Military equipment for public sale.

the road runner

I would like to know what requirements/legalities there are to purchasing ex military equipment in Australia.I have seen a number of websites that sell old Tanks,BMP ect............

Tanks Army Trucks Jeeps for sale page

You can really own a TANK?:D

I would think that its not like buying a car.............there would have to be some requirement to make the Tanks weapons non operational ect.

All comments welcomed

joeroot

I would like to know what requirements/legalities there are to purchasing ex military equipment in Australia.I have seen a number of websites that sell old Tanks,BMP ect............

Tanks Army Trucks Jeeps for sale page

You can really own a TANK?:D

I would think that its not like buying a car.............there would have to be some requirement to make the Tanks weapons non operational ect.

All comments welcomed
well yea they make the main gun non operational and i believe there is a permit you must aquire inorder to even own a tank i mean it is a couple tons of rolling death

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there are examples in Russia of tanks and APCs being converted into regular off-road vehicles for civilian use.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
In Germany you also have to replace 1m² of armor with a thin metal sheet located at the drivers station.
This shall prevent the armored vehicle being used for something criminal with the police having no means of stopping it. This way they can shoot through the thin metal plate.

There are several armored (tracked and wheeled) as well as many other military vehicles in private use here in Germany.
Most of the armored vehicles consist of WarPac (NVA, polish, czech, red army,...) material and some Bundeswehr stuff.
The non-armored vehicles are more often also from western armies.
For lovers of military vehicles Europe should be the praised land as there is alot of equipment available from the reductions in western and eastern armies. Lot's of interesting vehicles are available and getting spare parts is less of a problem than elsewhere.
And distances are small.

For example I managed to get to drive T-55s, T-72s and BMP-1 owned by private persons.

the road runner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanx Feanor and Waylander and joeroot.

I have found some info that say that they even OXY cut the front of the Tanks Armour,to weaken the Tanks structure i assume.The reason i asked this question is because you see alot of Private owners of MBT/planes ect in USA , Europe and and Asia..........

The reason i started this thread was to see if people did have any knowladge of Privately owned
Military Equipment.I would hope people could use this Thread to discuss the whearabouts and refurbishment, of old military equipment.

Here is one for the tank nuts

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXtjUiCYRcQ]YouTube - WWII Panzerkampfwagen V Panther - Doc Film - German Tank Restoration[/ame]

what a great job they did on this old war horse.

Also why dose this one bring out the treasure hunter in me

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jueDXiuU6aM]YouTube - FW190 found in forest clearing - Outside of Leningrad[/ame]

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a Russian car sales site listing plenty of BRDMs for sale.

Ïðîäàæà ÑÏÅÖÒÅÕÍÈÊÀ ÁÐÄÌ, êóïèòü, ÑÏÅÖÒÅÕÍÈÊÀ ÁÐÄÌ, öåíà. àâòîìîáèëè ñïåöòåõíèêà ÁÐÄÌ á.ó.

Here's the company Perspective which sells military vehicles, and converted military vehicles, including BTRs, tanks, and various special trucks. They also do service, tuning etc.

????? ??????????!

Here's a Ukranian ad advertising sale and purchase of BTRs.

Ïðîäàì Êóïëþ Áðîíåòðàíñïîðòåðû (ÁÒÐ-60), ÁÌÏ, áðîí

Here's our MoD link to auctions of old military equipment as they come up.

Ðåàëèçàöèÿ âûñâîáîæäàåìîãî íåäâèæèìîãî âîåííîãî èìóùåñòâà

From what I ran into online, there are multiple companies in Russia that convert BRDMs, and BTRs into off-road vehicles, install leather seats (and other nice things), and handle all the paper-work for you (for a price).

Last edited:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Germany officially doesn't sell anything that's to private persons that's on the war weapons list - that includes e.g. tank chassis. By modifying the armour as outlined by Waylander, a tank is no longer considered armoured.

Other vehicles and equipment is sold as-is all the time in Germany by VEBEG. Currently about 20 ex-Bundeswehr 2-ton and 5-ton trucks, a few G-Wagon and other light stuff. Occasionally ships, there's a old Type 430 torpedo salvage boat and a couple police patrol boats on there right now for example. Very rarely aircraft, and only for scrapping purposes.

Diaga

questions

My name is J im prior service to the Us army and this may sound like a stupid question coming from me but in recent googaling ive been noticing things like this that our gov. is sellin military equement to privit partys,, now what my question is how could obtain some of this equemint for im always intrested in military equement , and any one has any ideas, or links or knows some one i can talk to please let me know im vary curious as to this indevor ,

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
My name is J im prior service to the Us army and this may sound like a stupid question coming from me but in recent googaling ive been noticing things like this that our gov. is sellin military equement to privit partys,, now what my question is how could obtain some of this equemint for im always intrested in military equement , and any one has any ideas, or links or knows some one i can talk to please let me know im vary curious as to this indevor ,
What kind of equipment are you looking for?

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My local high school (Ballina High) has as a part of its marine discovery centre 3 Larc's and 4 ex army 6x6 trucks specially converted. The Larc's required permission from the US State Department and Australian Department of Defence, they are the only school in the world to own and actively use Larc's for educational purposes

Diaga

What kind of equipment are you looking for?
well anything really but more or less vehicals mabey weapons if i can, i know they will be dis amred, but ya know somthing i could mount on a wall. but like humvees mabey smoke machines, gas masks, uniforms and full gear, (and i appologise i know reading this list makes it sound like im preparing for a war, i AM NOT only wish to collect things that ive used in in the feild my self ) tho the humvee i have a idea for to make a nice street leagle ride, lol but ya thats kinda genral idea of what im lookin for ,, can u help? :rolleyes:

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
well anything really but more or less vehicals mabey weapons if i can, i know they will be dis amred, but ya know somthing i could mount on a wall. but like humvees mabey smoke machines, gas masks, uniforms and full gear, (and i appologise i know reading this list makes it sound like im preparing for a war, i AM NOT only wish to collect things that ive used in in the feild my self ) tho the humvee i have a idea for to make a nice street leagle ride, lol but ya thats kinda genral idea of what im lookin for ,, can u help? :rolleyes:
Call someone at your old service branch and enquire with them. I'm sure as an ex serviceman you can understand why we can't help you with this.

EXSSBN2005

You might also want to try your local national guard units as their logistics persons might know where they dispose of their used equipment, most of the surplus humvees that I have seen on sale were so beat up they would require extensive repairs to be driveable again let alone street legal, might want to contact American General division of who ever owns them now about where you could try to acquire one newer than totally trashed. For all the following links google is your friend and they are the top links just type in "xyz for sale" with xyz being what you want.

AM General LLC - Mobility solutions for the 21st Century

smoke machines : Smoke Generators | BullEx

Gas Masks : Welcome to Army Gas Masks and Filters: ARMY Issue Gas Masks from around the World - NBC Filters - NBC Suits - Respirators - Military Surplus GasMask -

uniform : local army surplus, just google your town and local surplus they might have what you want

full gear : umm go make it, not sure what else you need but again army surplus, or maybe ebay, amazon or some other online retailer.

Last edited:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
No disrespect intended but are you a real native speaking former US soldier?
I am far away from speaking perfect english but your posts are hard to read.

SASWanabe

No disrespect intended but are you a real native speaking former US soldier?
I am far away from speaking perfect english but your posts are hard to read.

make perfct sense to me, just seems like hes in the older age group not so computer savvy, there are quite a few typos...

SASWanabe

speaking of... just found a site thats prices on T-72s start at 80k AUD...

then theres the shipping from Czechoslovakia ;)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
On here we have rules regarding proper spelling and punctuation. I.e. make a reasonable effort to type in complete sentences, capitalize, and spell words correctly.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
make perfct sense to me, just seems like hes in the older age group not so computer savvy, there are quite a few typos...
speaking of... just found a site thats prices on T-72s start at 80k AUD...

then theres the shipping from Czechoslovakia ;)
Hmmm, what might it cost to ship a tank around the world? Too bad it wouldn't fit into a normal 40ft container. Maybe add 20000 AUSD and you can have your own T-72.

By the way the Czech Republik and Slovakia split up some time ago...;)

SASWanabe

Hmmm, what might it cost to ship a tank around the world? Too bad it wouldn't fit into a normal 40ft container. Maybe add 20000 AUSD and you can have your own T-72.

By the way the Czech Republik and Slovakia split up some time ago...;)
i stand corrected, not my part of the world so im not up on it lol.

imagine what customs would say if you tried to bring one in and you tell them its an ATV, then they see it lol.

ltdanjuly10

The Ropkey Armor Museum in my home state started as a private collection. The man (a particularly wealth individual) amassed quite a collection of armored vehicles. .At one point the collector owned an R-11 Scud complete with the IS-2 based TEL. You can find the museum online although it does not mention the Scud.

But of coarse right after the fall of the Soviet Union, you could buy just about anything from a Foxtrot class submarine Russian Foxtrot-class Submarine U475 to the latest of Soviet Fighter Aircraft Pride Aircraft: Sukhoi SU-27 Flankers.

And of coarse
http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/Tanks_Trucks_Jeeps_for_sale_page.html