Choices of MBT for Malaysia

Mike Powell

Well my choice will be German's Leopard, Isreal's Merkava and China's Type 98. These are the world class MBT. Err, hopefully Malaysia will persuade the Isreal while the Isrealites will accept the offer for the Merkava deal.

berry580

China's Type 98 is a cheap and effective choice (atleast when on paper), but hasn't been battle tested, also China is historically a more reliabler supplier. While for German and Israeli's one, they're technologically somewhat superior, but can be expected to be way more expensive, Israeli's one's are battle proven, also if America doesn't like anything, a ban could be on anytime.

Aegis

I heard Malaysian has already secure a new deal on MBT.It is a upgrade version of T-72MBT from Poland! By the way guys,Malaysian terrain is jungle and has plenty of soft and swampy ground! A tank with more than 35tons and above is not very advisable unless urban battle! A MBT like Merkava will badly limit the places of usage of it! An IFV in my opinion will be better for general use,althought the armour will be limited.

Mike Powell

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You mean PT-91 Twardy MBT? Is this tank able to survive nuclear and chemical warfare/disaster. And regarding the cost, is it expensive to buy and repair or other-wise. And will she be obsolete in the short future time since she's only an upgraded version of the old T-72 MBT. :?

wzhtg

"Isreal's Merkava"???????????????????

sorry but i doubt that is likely. Malaysia is at odds with Isreal so they won't buy from them. Even our Su-30MKM has avonics from france not the original avonics from Isreal like INdia's.

"she's only an upgraded version of the old T-72 MBT"
Well never underestimate the power of an upgrade, just look at the F-15 and F-16 and you will know.

Well i think some of the possible choices could be German's Leopard, ukraine's tu-84 both of which were frontrunners for the first batch of tanks. ALso, there is always pakistan's Al-khalid.

berry580

"You mean PT-91 Twardy MBT? Is this tank able to survive nuclear and chemical warfare/disaster. And regarding the cost, is it expensive to buy and repair or other-wise. And will she be obsolete in the short future time since she's only an upgraded version of the old T-72 MBT. confused"

Most MBT and IFV's in the world can protect their crew from biological, chemical and nuclear weapons. I believe it can save them from the radiation, but probably not the actually atomic blast.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Mike Powell said:
You mean PT-91 Twardy MBT? Is this tank able to survive nuclear and chemical warfare/disaster. And regarding the cost, is it expensive to buy and repair or other-wise. And will she be obsolete in the short future time since she's only an upgraded version of the old T-72 MBT. :?
There is a difference between, on the one hand, taking an existing T72, refurbishing it, replacing various items (sights, engine etc) with more modern ones and adding additional armor (this is an UPGRADE) and, on the other, producing a new vehicle of which the design is based on the original T72 (this is a DEVELOPMENT). If I'm not mistaken, the PT91 Twardy is a new built vehicle, derived from the T72M which Poland has been license producing for some years.

wzhtg

"wasn't malaysia ordering MBT Al-Khalid from pakistan?"

well it is still a possiblity for our next 2 batches of tanks. So there is still hope.

ashoaib

The new version of Al-Lhalid is fitted with western technology mostly German and very impressive. This is done to make Saudi Arabia a customer. Now t can cope with any best main MBT of the world. Its is a cheap and reliable plateform based on T72 design. May be it suite the best for Maylasia.

axl

where do you see any german technology in the al khalid? and the trials in saudi arabia didn't really work out. the tanks got probs with heat and sand and broke down quite often..

regards
axl

www.kampfpanzer.de

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ashoaib said:
The new version of Al-Lhalid is fitted with western technology mostly German and very impressive. This is done to make Saudi Arabia a customer. Now t can cope with any best main MBT of the world. Its is a cheap and reliable plateform based on T72 design. May be it suite the best for Maylasia.
Not mainly German. It's mainly Ukrainian. There were significant problems with the drivetrain at one stage - and it's core armour does not make it competitive against current generation western MBT's like Lelcerc, Chally 2, M1A2, Leo2A4,5,6

It is still a light MBT that is not comparable or useful to compare against those other MBT's as the design philosophy was born of a different doctrine.

ashoaib

Yeah its technology is mainly Ukrainian but the new version will be fitted with German tachnology as I read in the news paper coz Saudi Arabia is not intersted in Ukrainina technology. To make Saudi Arabia a customer HMT is putting western tech. The problems which you are talking about were accured way back in 1996 or so which are now recovered and more imporvements are done.
axl said:
where do you see any german technology in the al khalid? and the trials in saudi arabia didn't really work out. the tanks got probs with heat and sand and broke down quite often..
Saudis dont really try it in Saudia. It was tried in Pakistan and proved very successful both in land and desert as said by the local news paper I cant provide the source. It will be send for further trials in Saudia, after that deal will be finaled.

Paxter

The deal was already close it is the poland mbt and it close like a year ago already... those tanks under construction... as we speek so i think someone should close this post...

ashoaib

Where you heard that the deal is closed???
If it is closed than why saudi defence minister who visited Pakistan last month talk about Al-Khalid and the experts with him take a trial??
This means there are still hopes for a deal.

Paxter

Actually the tanks were not ment to go into the swamps :D and swamps make up only 4% of the total malaysian geography no one would want to fight there anyway most likely u die from malaria then enemy bullets ... its more of the light jungle (new forest and its huge plantation areas down south which is pretty much not an issue for the tank ... and to defend its urban cities + its rather huge north south highway... its a 6 lane highway that streaches from singapore to thailand... it links to every major city in malaysia... you definately dont want that to fall into enemy hands... hey i hear those tanks are upgraded X 2 1 the normal ukranian tech package and also malaysian spec... cause it apprently cost an additional 20 million for the 48 tanks...

U guys should actually start talking about the support units coming with this tank batt. they are apprently in the last stages of getting the K9 Thunder 155mm/52-caliber SPH it went for trial in the malaysian jungle not long ago i got a pic in one of the mag i have will upload when i have the time ... also more importantly a mobile mid range SAM to follow this unit kinda pointless to have a nice tank when it will get blown up by enemy fighters...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Paxter said:
they are apprently in the last stages of getting the K9 Thunder 155mm/52-caliber SPH it went for trial in the malaysian jungle not long ago i got a pic in one of the mag i have will upload when i have the time ...
I was at a technical briefing of the K9 a few weeks ago. A nice cheap(er) piece of kit. It has some operational flaws when compared to the PzH 2000, but I guess it gets down to what Malaysia is looking for.

Paxter

dude PzH 2000 is like a really top of the range weapon :D i wish malaysia had that.... malaysia is on a budget.. hehehehe prb due to the fact they spent it all on those SU 30s and the subs... btw gf0012-aust what does australia uses? the Pzh 2000? or the american one?