British Army Rifles Regiment

rahulb

The merging of four regiments to create a rifles regiment raises some very pertinent operational questions. Now rifles were so designated as they would lightly equipped march ahead of all army columns in the yesteryears as scouts.Traditionally the marching speed of Rifles was 140 steps per minute. They were also provided with a cam shell for protection. Does the British Army want to create Rifles in the old mould or it is an organisational measure for management purposes to enable better adminstration given that the present core strength is greatly limited. Will some body tell us the answers to these simple Qs:D

Distiller

Looking at their equipment they seem more like mechanized infantry to me, even too heavy to be motorized infantry, and in no case light infantry.

rahulb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok. I think they are following the principle what is in a name William Shakespeare. Because Rifle conveys a different military connotation. Well all the very best to the new regiment. being a rifler myself I will take good interest in their activities.

Dave H

I dont think there is anything remarkable in the use of the term rifle regiment, it is merely a suitable name to use. There have been many "rifles" in the history of the British Army, just as there have been "Guards". When merging regiments with histories and egos it is a neutral term that fits nicely, when you take battallions with local histories it is important not to create to many waves. The Devon AND Dorsets for instance, was almalgamated from the Devonshire regiment and the Dorset Regiment, the name chosen kept both happy. In the same way the new rifle regiment doesnt give any particular old regiment "seniorority". It will become a national regiment drawing troops from all over the country.

rahulb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi you have most certainly clarified one aspect of the issue. But then a name should signify something. Traditionally in armies all over the World, Rifles have symbolized a lighter component of the main force which is required to carry out scouting or other tasks such as flank protection which can be carried out by lighly equipped troops. Is such a task envisaged for the new Rifles Regiment or is it merely a matter of convenience. What does it symbolize? That was the query? thanks

Dave H

The rifles will just be general infantry, the equipment and role will depend on the mission. For instance the Paras and Royal Marines have served in Afghanistan, they will be replaced by elements of 12 Mech Brigade. The infantry battallions will be from the grenadier guards, the Anglian regiment, the worcestershire and sherwood foresters (they dont just operate in forests, its just the quirky British names!). The infantry battallions, although from a mech brigade will probably spend more time patrolling on foot through villages or using lighter vehicles, rather than taking the full compliment of Warrior AFV's. The brigade is made up of armoured, medium and light roled troops. The infantry units are supported by the Cahllengers of the Hussars and the light reconnaissance vehicles of the Dragoons.

Remember that the British army has been involved in Ulster for decades where troops from a variety of roles have been deployed on foot patrol, an artillery regiment may leave its guns behind an carry out a tour as infantry in a policing role. Flexibility is the key. The re roling of units is what is being changed now. For instance , a light infantry unit in the UK could find itself reroled to a mechanised brigade using Warriors and posted to Germany, in ten years the unit might have a different role. The decision has now been taken that the re roling uses up large amounts of training and work up time. Now big regiments are the name of the game, stable and more ready to deploy.
Scouting in British army would be done by recce or patrol plattoons within the individual infantry battallions or by the attached recce troops using scimitar and other vehicles. The Paras have a pathfinder platoon, the Marines have a patrol company.

keyersoze

Hi you have most certainly clarified one aspect of the issue. But then a name should signify something. Traditionally in armies all over the World, Rifles have symbolized a lighter component of the main force which is required to carry out scouting or other tasks such as flank protection which can be carried out by lighly equipped troops. Is such a task envisaged for the new Rifles Regiment or is it merely a matter of convenience. What does it symbolize? That was the query? thanks
The whole "rifles" thing goes back to it's heritage, when the various units were carrying rifles as opposed to the smoothbores carried by others.

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regts/the_rifles/history_traditions/index.htm

For a fictional look then have a look at the "Sharpe" series of books by Bernard Cornwell

ryan385

Looking at their equipment they seem more like mechanized infantry to me, even too heavy to be motorized infantry, and in no case light infantry.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the rifle regiment will be composed of 7 battalions. 2 territorial (reserve) light infantry battalions, 3 active duty light infantry battalions, 1 motorized infantry battalion and 1 armored infantry battalion. Also I think the role of light infantry in the modern British army is to defend territory and mount combat patrols to skirmish with the enemy. In Napoleonic times I think that is exactly what the rifles were, skirmishers.

bonehead

The Rifles are a regular Infantry regiment, they are highly flexible in both armoured as well as airmobile operations, and can change roles when required, they are no diffrent than anyother infantry Regiment in the British Army. TA bns operate in the same manner as the regular bns and train on the same equipment and are also just as flexible.