Australian GSO (General Service Officers)

Southy

Hey there......... i am pretty new the to forum (have been a member for over a year now but mostly just read instead of post)..... Back when i first signed up i was seeking an Electrical Apprenticeship the the Australian Army, but unfortunitly was declined at the time because the need for more apprentices was not so great at the time....

I have since (about 2 months later) Got myself an Apprenticeship in the Civial World, and am now a Second Year Electrical Apprentice most working with Industrial installations/maintanance......

When i was offerd this position i was currently half way through year 11, therefor i had to leave school to begin..... had i of stayed at school i would now be nearly half way through year 12.......

I plan on finishing my Trade and becoming Qaulified because i am the kind of person who Likes to Commit to things he starts.... and i also understand the Great pros of having a Trade Qaulification under the belt... :)

Sorry to baffle you with my life story, lol but i just wanted to share a bit of my background with you before asking this question....... my Question is, In the pre requsists for becoming an Army Officer, It states that you must have completed yr 12 with a pass in english and maths..... and i had only completed yr 11 (to a high standard)..... Is the army willing to negotiate on such pre reqs? like, just say for instance i was to finish my Apprenticeship and became a Fully Qaulified A grade Electrician.... would they recognise this as further learning in substitute of year 12? or would yr 12 still be needed?

Thankyou for reading and i look forward to your replys

Last edited by a moderator:

Brycec

I wouldn't mind hearing the answers to this too. Im not a big fan of school and a backdoor to officer entry into the army might sound good to me. But i'm not going to risk leaving school unless im sure. So if anyone knows anything about this I'd like to hear it too.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If you want to get Yr 12 equivalency get the TAFE to give it to you. Army is a bureaucracy and they want a certificate or something saying you are at that Yr 12 English/Maths level.

My gut feeling is it probably wouldn’t sit well with the selection board someone fronting with 1/2 an apprenticeship done. Officers in RAEME tend to have engineering degrees or promoted Artificer Majors with 10-20 years experience. And if you are going for something non RAEME they will think you may not be a finisher.

If you want to get some runs on the board before going to selection board for RMC entry then see if you can get some management work. Even if it’s Maccas as a line manager.

Being a good officer is all about two things: knowing the job (war) and knowing men (your soldiers). The last one is the hard one, especially for someone under the age of 25.

So go out and get some experience as a junior manager somewhere, get your Yr 12 equivalency at TAFE, play an organised sport, read up on the history of the Australian Army and military practice and spend a couple of weekends sleeping in the bush without a tent. Then you should be set.

Brycec

I've been thinking...
What if I left school, joined the army as a rifleman, then tried to switch to GSO? I'd probably still need to do all the TAFE work, but I'd have the military experience (kowing my job) and I'd know my men.
I actually think it might be benificial to be a Rifleman before I become an officer... but leaving school could be a big mistake.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Spending some time as a grunt can either be the best or worse thing you could do to become an officer. There are no real hang-ups remaining within the Australian Army against being promoted up from the ranks, frankly everyone is trolling through the aggressive young LCPL/CPL looking for junior officer materiel. The immediate past CO of 16 AD Regt only went for his commission after 10+ years as enlisted. He went from Sgt to Lt and because of his quality worked up to Lt Col and hopefully further.

However it could end up backfiring on you as sometimes the sort of person who makes a good leader can be rubbed up the wrong way as a subordinate and rebel against it. Being a private soldier means doing what other people tell you to do until you get on the streets of Iraq, only then everyone else has too much other shit to worry about and so do you! Then again being a junior officer means you tend to have more people telling you what to do than a Private…

Anyway high school sucks everyone knows that but sometimes there is shit in life you have to endure. If you want a taste of Army life or something to divert you from school then join the cadets or the reserves. If you join the reserves then you will get a pay cheque and maybe that could help in leaving school and getting yr 12 through TAFE? Also give you access to some people like me who can give you more advice about getting into RMC.

Brycec

Actually im already a cadet, but unfortunately it's part of a school run cadet unit who would never even consider advising or condoning me leaving school for any reason.
Thats part of the reason I'm thinking about leaving school entirely the day I turn 17, go off to kapooka as a rifleman for a few years, get my TAFE or whatever in order, then head to RMC.

I know that I want to join the army, I just really want to find out if its worth waiting another year at my school.
I hear people say "You've stayed at school the last 11 years, why waste that and not complete year 12?"
Well, I go to a high pressure private school. The average VCE score is 90%+ which means most year 12 students at my school score in the top 10% of Victoria.
I don't know if I can really express what I feel in writing like this, but school is really making me hate life. That along with my knowledge of what I want to do in the future (Army) is making me look for options out of school.
I turn 17 in september and I'm seriously considering packing my bags the next day and looking for a recruiter...

I'll put up with life as a private, in fact, before I got promoted as a cadet I was having the funnest time of my life, knowing that as long as I do what im told i can't go wrong. Being A corporal with my own squad was ok, but now I'm a staff sergeant, I have my own platoon to run, with a sergeant under me, and I think I could get to like life as a grunt again.

So, a no Bull Shit assessment, will I, or will i not have a hard time getting into RMC if I drop out of school late in year 11?

A

Aussie Digger

Actually im already a cadet, but unfortunately it's part of a school run cadet unit who would never even consider advising or condoning me leaving school for any reason.
Thats part of the reason I'm thinking about leaving school entirely the day I turn 17, go off to kapooka as a rifleman for a few years, get my TAFE or whatever in order, then head to RMC.

I know that I want to join the army, I just really want to find out if its worth waiting another year at my school.
I hear people say "You've stayed at school the last 11 years, why waste that and not complete year 12?"
Well, I go to a high pressure private school. The average VCE score is 90%+ which means most year 12 students at my school score in the top 10% of Victoria.
I don't know if I can really express what I feel in writing like this, but school is really making me hate life. That along with my knowledge of what I want to do in the future (Army) is making me look for options out of school.
I turn 17 in september and I'm seriously considering packing my bags the next day and looking for a recruiter...

I'll put up with life as a private, in fact, before I got promoted as a cadet I was having the funnest time of my life, knowing that as long as I do what im told i can't go wrong. Being A corporal with my own squad was ok, but now I'm a staff sergeant, I have my own platoon to run, with a sergeant under me, and I think I could get to like life as a grunt again.

So, a no Bull Shit assessment, will I, or will i not have a hard time getting into RMC if I drop out of school late in year 11?
My recruiting knowledge is not that relevant anymore (13 YEARS since I joined) but yes, I think failing to complete Year 12 WILL effect your chances of entering RMC.

School may give you the sh*ts but so will doing a job for 4 years if you end up hating it. The difference being you can't just quit...

In any case I was of the understanding that though you CAN join ADF at age 17, you must be 18, prior to marching out of basic.

Given the short duration of basic training these days, you'll have to be close to 18 ANYWAY, which in your case means you'll be at least halfway through Yr 12 anyway...

I say, do Yr 12, apply to join ADF halfway through Yr 12 and get the recruiting processes out of the way whilst you're still at School and start your training as soon as your schooling ends.

Just my thoughts...

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not sure bout the 17 AD, i went to Kapooka at 17 and there were one or two others as well, i remeber vividly when one got caught smoking, hell shit came from a height that you'd wish it was your parents more then your seco.
You can apply to join at 16 1/2 as long as you leave for basic when your 17.
But what AD says is true, you will harm your prospect more by quitting, the selection board won't look kindly on you if you bail out early these days, even if your a fantastic NCO or digger, that don't mean nothing to them, i've heard of many who had to redo 11-12 at Tafe or have been knocked back due to minor things.
I was in the same boat as you during 11, thats why i went Reserve, and when i failed a course i considered sticking it out and going full time, skipping year 12 and just not worrying bout it. After the comical errors i've had i should have done that but i know its even worse in the future, as i still want to be an officer, and if i didn't finish 12 i'd be up shit creek with a twig.

Stick around, don't worry bout VCE(HSC here) it don't mean nothing in the end, the "pressure" is what you make it, remember, for an officer you don't need to be a Rocket scientist...unless your trying to get into the Air Force as Engineering officer, then you would need to be, but beside the point just grin and bear with it, do you more harm then good
Cheers
Icelord

AlphaTeam

GSO Aspiree

Hey
I’m in Grade 10 this year and I am aspiring to join the ADF as a GSO in the Infantry Corps. I’m doing fitness and strength training and eating healthy so am not particularly worried about the fitness and I’m going to try my best at school to get good marks. I plan to join after I finish grade 12, tho have been listening to other threads and am considering getting a job for six months to get ("life experience" and increase my chances of selection) tho if I finish grade 12 say around December but then want to do the six months work, that would mean it would be June and that’s when they take in applicants, would this mean I would have to wait till next year to go to RMC Duntroon if so I assume I will just apply after I leave school and if I get excepted (fingers crossed), but if I don’t then I would just have to do what they say to improve my competitiveness which no doubt will include doing a job and then apply again.

Also have a few questions:
What is an officer’s (Infantry) gear or kit (i.e.) bottle, webbing, magazines ect. I’d like to hear about it all. Also do officers get pistols? Do they use The F88 AuSteyr or the F89 Minimi or either?

Thanks in advance, also would prefer if this knowledge was first hand (currently serving officer, just retired in the last 1-2 years) but any info would be great.

P.S Sorry if writing sloppy

AlphaTeam :australia

willur

Hey there......... i am pretty new the to forum (have been a member for over a year now but mostly just read instead of post)..... Back when i first signed up i was seeking an Electrical Apprenticeship the the Australian Army, but unfortunitly was declined at the time because the need for more apprentices was not so great at the time....

I have since (about 2 months later) Got myself an Apprenticeship in the Civial World, and am now a Second Year Electrical Apprentice most working with Industrial installations/maintanance......

When i was offerd this position i was currently half way through year 11, therefor i had to leave school to begin..... had i of stayed at school i would now be nearly half way through year 12.......

I plan on finishing my Trade and becoming Qaulified because i am the kind of person who Likes to Commit to things he starts.... and i also understand the Great pros of having a Trade Qaulification under the belt... :)

Sorry to baffle you with my life story, lol but i just wanted to share a bit of my background with you before asking this question....... my Question is, In the pre requsists for becoming an Army Officer, It states that you must have completed yr 12 with a pass in english and maths..... and i had only completed yr 11 (to a high standard)..... Is the army willing to negotiate on such pre reqs? like, just say for instance i was to finish my Apprenticeship and became a Fully Qaulified A grade Electrician.... would they recognise this as further learning in substitute of year 12? or would yr 12 still be needed?

Thankyou for reading and i look forward to your replys
Hey mate, if you spend an little time later 12-24mths in your trade after the apprenticeship and obtain a Advance diploma of engineering which would take around 2-3yrs approx this would allow you a higher entry in to the service and take around 2yrs of a engineering degree if you want to go that way. And the diploma will also bring you to the higher education standard required, this diploma can actually begin studing in your 3 yr of your apprenticeship here is the link. it can be done online delivery
http://www.skillstech.tafe.qld.gov....">Home</a>&accredited=true&course_id=17232&co

willur

Hey
I’m in Grade 10 this year and I am aspiring to join the ADF as a GSO in the Infantry Corps. I’m doing fitness and strength training and eating healthy so am not particularly worried about the fitness and I’m going to try my best at school to get good marks. I plan to join after I finish grade 12, tho have been listening to other threads and am considering getting a job for six months to get ("life experience" and increase my chances of selection) tho if I finish grade 12 say around December but then want to do the six months work, that would mean it would be June and that’s when they take in applicants, would this mean I would have to wait till next year to go to RMC Duntroon if so I assume I will just apply after I leave school and if I get excepted (fingers crossed), but if I don’t then I would just have to do what they say to improve my competitiveness which no doubt will include doing a job and then apply again.

What is an officer’s (Infantry) gear or kit (i.e.) bottle, webbing, magazines ect. I’d like to hear about it all. Also do officers get pistols? Do they use The F88 AuSteyr or the F89 Minimi or either?

Thanks in advance, also would prefer if this knowledge was first hand (currently serving officer, just retired in the last 1-2 years) but any info would be great.

P.S Sorry if writing sloppy

AlphaTeam :australia
if your going to do six months work join the reserves to see if you like the service and the training you recieve can also be put to your entry as a GSO.

stump1100

The immediate past CO of 16 AD Regt only went for his commission after 10+ years as enlisted. He went from Sgt to Lt and because of his quality worked up to Lt Col and hopefully further.
If I remember correctly (and we are talking about the same person) he held every rank in the Regt (at some stage of his career) - something of a record in the ADF.

willur

wouldn't he have to have a education of some sort(dip of HR) or the jump would have been to 2nd Lt, fast promotion was not uncommon in recent past with the need to have commanders in the ADF. This is not saying that he was no compent or capable as I do not know of his history, even so would not make a comment like that.

stump1100

There is no doubt that the individual I mentioned was qualified to hold each rank. No one mentioned fast promotion or shortcuts or anything else so don't read too much into it. I have met the individual and he is well versed in GBAD, as you would expect from someone who served for quite some time and eventually commanded the Air Defence Regt.

AlphaTeam

Questions

Thanks willur will consider that as anything I learn in the reserves will help me at Duntroon and hopefully increase my competitiveness when getting excepted :D

Anyone have answers to my other questions?

What is an officer’s (Infantry) gear or kit (i.e.) bottle, webbing, magazines ect. I’d like to hear about it all. Also do officers get pistols? Do they use The F88 AuSteyr or the F89 Minimi or can use either?

Also does anyone know about this question?: “I plan to join after I finish grade 12, tho have been listening to other threads and am considering getting a job for six months to get ("life experience" and increase my chances of selection) tho if I finish grade 12 say around December but then want to do the six months work, that would mean it would be June and that’s when they take in applicants, would this mean I would have to wait till next year to go to RMC Duntroon or can I be doing the work while applying so that I finish the 6 months of work just before I go to Duntroon?
Just trying to what up the pro’s and con’s of doing the work, so comment on this if u want

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers AlphaTeam :australia

A

Aussie Digger

wouldn't he have to have a education of some sort(dip of HR) or the jump would have been to 2nd Lt, fast promotion was not uncommon in recent past with the need to have commanders in the ADF. This is not saying that he was no compent or capable as I do not know of his history, even so would not make a comment like that.
AGRA never said this person jumped from NCO to the CO of 16 AD Regt...

And as I suspect you must know, if he DIDN'T have an education and obtained his commission after being promoted to Warrant officer, he never would have been promote to Lt. Colonel...

A

Aussie Digger

Thanks willur will consider that as anything I learn in the reserves will help me at Duntroon and hopefully increase my competitiveness when getting excepted :D

Anyone have answers to my other questions?

What is an officer’s (Infantry) gear or kit (i.e.) bottle, webbing, magazines ect. I’d like to hear about it all. Also do officers get pistols? Do they use The F88 AuSteyr or the F89 Minimi or can use either?

Also does anyone know about this question?: “I plan to join after I finish grade 12, tho have been listening to other threads and am considering getting a job for six months to get ("life experience" and increase my chances of selection) tho if I finish grade 12 say around December but then want to do the six months work, that would mean it would be June and that’s when they take in applicants, would this mean I would have to wait till next year to go to RMC Duntroon or can I be doing the work while applying so that I finish the 6 months of work just before I go to Duntroon?
Just trying to what up the pro’s and con’s of doing the work, so comment on this if u want

Any help would be appreciated

Their gear is identical to any other soldier in the Australian Army, except they carry more maps and more nav gear...

Bottles? Camelbaks brother...

Pistols, they may carry one if qualified and if they feel the need. At the end of the day it's one more bit of kit that has to be looked after and maintained and one that doesn't offer a great deal to a soldier.

Some soldiers use them, certainly but there is no "blanket policy" that I am aware of for officer's to carry a pistol.

An officer would most likely use an F-88 Austeyr, probably with enhanced optics, on the majority of occasions. It would be quite rare for an officer to carry an F-89 Minimi. The reason is because the F-89 is the sections main firepower. It is the officer's job to direct where the firepower will be most applicable, not to employ firepower him/herself. They have a bit too much to do, to worry about carrying a light support weapon.

AlphaTeam

Thx AD

I haven’t been able to find somewhere the gives detailed description of what a normal Australian soldier is kited out with so if u could point me in the right direction that would be great:D

Also what do people think the chances of me getting into Duntroon after I leave school if I have decent grade , good fitness and study and prepare for the interview?

A

Aussie Digger

Thx AD

I haven’t been able to find somewhere the gives detailed description of what a normal Australian soldier is kited out with so if u could point me in the right direction that would be great:D

Also what do people think the chances of me getting into Duntroon after I leave school if I have decent grade , good fitness and study and prepare for the interview?

F-88A1/2 Steyr rifle or F-89A1 Minimi light support weapon with night aiming device or perhaps the F-88/M203 grenade launcher combo.

Spare magazines and link for the F-89's, a 66mm SRAAW (anti-armour weapon) if you're unlucky.

M9 buck knife (I believe is still issued).

Weapons cleaning kits and "golf bag" (if you happen to have a Minimi).

Claymores and pouches.

Smoke/fragmentation/white phosphorous grenades

DPCU or DPDU (desert) camouflage uniforms. (shirts, pants, hats socks).

Terra combat boots.

Modular load carrying systems (webbing and backpack or normally - pack), including belt, belt comforter, H harness,, Minimi pouches, field dressing, water bottle and pouches and camelbak hydration system, camouflage paint - cam paint.)

Ration packs.

Notepad.

Shaving and toiletries kit.

Hootchie.

Sleeping bag, and/or sleeping bag liner.

Rope.

Mosquito net.

Insect repellant (that is also useful for melting plastic. Seriously!)

Tools entrenching.

KFS (though they NEVER should have gotten rid of FRED'S!) and plates, cups etc.

Hexamine stoves.

PRR - Personal Role Radio.

Monocular night vision device.

For "patrol heavy" situations, modular body armour and kevlar helmet.

That's off the top of my head. There is probably more. Simon9 will know, if he's around...

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
:eek:nfloorl: the A-res is showing AD! fred is chocko term...we called them e-tools,tin openers,spoon....etc...was really a great piece of kit, one of the ADF success stories...thank god ADI didnt get the contract to "improve" it!

dont get the wrong idea, im very much for the A-Res, just friendly riverlry.