Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1621a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1726a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0074a1.JPG

Miramar_14_FA-18C_0409a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel

This is a discussion on Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs I stumbled across this today, and I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old February 9th, 2012   #1
Defense Professional / Analyst
Corporal
Threads:
Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel

Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs

I stumbled across this today, and I thought it was pretty interesting! Does anyone know of any other countries that are actively recruiting foreign experienced military personnel?

The US military will accept people with prior foreign military service, but they have to all ready be US Citizens or Permanent Legal Residents and they get no speccial consideration for (or recognition of) of thier service. I work with a gentleman who retired from the Irish Army Rangers as a senior NCO, and when he joined the US Army National Guard he had to come in a Private and go through US Army BCT (he's a Staff Sergeant now).

Does anyone know how the ADF system is going to work? They say they are specifically looking for experienced NCOs and Officers - will they keep their prior service's Rank, etc?

I was suprised at how well ADF personnel are paid - they must be near the high end of the military pay scale. An ADF Private makes 41,658 AUD a year, which comes out to 44,311 USD. That's equivilent to the pay of a US Army SFC/E-7 with 10+ years in service OR a 1st LT! A US Army Private (E-2) has a base salary of 20,052 USD per year in comparison!!!

Adrian
sgtgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gates criticizes NATO allies Sea Toby Geo-strategic Issues 51 June 15th, 2011 10:56 PM
Argentine mirage 2000 purchase jaffo4011 Air Force & Aviation 88 February 25th, 2010 12:00 PM
Hypothetical Forces : Transformation kato Geo-strategic Issues 280 December 31st, 2009 07:57 AM

Old February 9th, 2012   #2
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Does anyone know how the ADF system is going to work? They say they are specifically looking for experienced NCOs and Officers - will they keep their prior service's Rank, etc?
There's nothing new with the ADF recruiting lateral transfers - its been going on as long as Australia's had a military. Originally all Commonwealth militaries where all essentially the same anyway, the only difference lately is that laterals from non-Commonwealth countries (ie, the US) might get accepted. They actually stopped lateral transfers for a year or two because recruiting and retention was so high (and some of the laterals were useless), so this is just announcing a recommencement.

Every recruit is different, but prior service is recognised, but usually a transfer will involve a reduction in rank - ie, a WO2 from the British Army might be recruited and given a job as a SGT. The deal involves a minimum period of service (4-6 years usually) and the accepting of Australian citizenship.

Quote:
I was suprised at how well ADF personnel are paid - they must be near the high end of the military pay scale. An ADF Private makes 41,658 AUD a year, which comes out to 44,311 USD. That's equivilent to the pay of a US Army SFC/E-7 with 10+ years in service OR a 1st LT! A US Army Private (E-2) has a base salary of 20,052 USD per year in comparison!!!
You've got to include service allowance ($12 128 pa) before you get the real base pay rate. The minimum a brand new private will receive is $56 065 pa. It is a pretty good wage, yet diggers still always whinge about how little they get paid.
Raven22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012   #3
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Then again Adrian, many things cost a stack more here in Australia - Real estate (and not just because your prices have nose dived post GFC), vehicles etc. A Honda CRV EX (4wd) in the US for example costs $23,545. An equivalent vehicle here costs $30,390. Google the Big Mac Index and you'll get an idea of the difference.
Marc 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012   #4
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc 1 View Post
Then again Adrian, many things cost a stack more here in Australia - Real estate (and not just because your prices have nose dived post GFC), vehicles etc. A Honda CRV EX (4wd) in the US for example costs $23,545. An equivalent vehicle here costs $30,390. Google the Big Mac Index and you'll get an idea of the difference.
But other things are a lot cheaper, like Health Care and university education. These are big ticket items in the USA but much cheaper here because they are Govt. funded.
Abraham Gubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven22 View Post

You've got to include service allowance ($12 128 pa) before you get the real base pay rate. The minimum a brand new private will receive is $56 065 pa. It is a pretty good wage, yet diggers still always whinge about how little they get paid.
There are also all kinds of different allowance packed on the top of that too... Field pay and the like. Your pay shoots off through the roof while deployed

check out the pay scales http://content.defencejobs.gov.au/pd...t_PayRates.pdf.
lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012   #6
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Gubler View Post
But other things are a lot cheaper, like Health Care and university education. These are big ticket items in the USA but much cheaper here because they are Govt. funded.
If you are in the ADF they wont cost you much at all... They are fully paid for aren't they?
lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012   #7
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven22 View Post
There's nothing new with the ADF recruiting lateral transfers - its been going on as long as Australia's had a military. Originally all Commonwealth militaries where all essentially the same anyway, the only difference lately is that laterals from non-Commonwealth countries (ie, the US) might get accepted. They actually stopped lateral transfers for a year or two because recruiting and retention was so high (and some of the laterals were useless), so this is just announcing a recommencement.

Every recruit is different, but prior service is recognised, but usually a transfer will involve a reduction in rank - ie, a WO2 from the British Army might be recruited and given a job as a SGT. The deal involves a minimum period of service (4-6 years usually) and the accepting of Australian citizenship.

If i come to Australia on a tourist visa. Would I still be able to join the Australian military?
eranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012   #8
The Wanderer
Major
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranova View Post
If i come to Australia on a tourist visa. Would I still be able to join the Australian military?
No.

To apply you need the right to reside in Australia.
Old May 16th, 2012   #9
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsta83 View Post
No.

To apply you need the right to reside in Australia.

But lets say I am from a foreign country and my only intent to go to Australia is to join their military. That being said I am not a permanent resident of Australia yet because I will not get a permanent residency unless I have a job or something like that. I wont be able to join their military in that case?
eranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012   #10
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
If you are a serving member of a Commonwealth or probably even NATO military who meets the basic requirements for this program and has a genuine interest you could probably call up recruitment and organise some sort of visit whilst on holiday, say if you were going to bring your family out to see if they like the country. If you are of a desired skill and gave them reasonable advanced warning they would probably arrange someone to show you around and so forth to try and get your pen on the paper.

In terms of actual enlistment though that would be near impossible, I am also fairly confident that you cannot upgrade your Holiday Visa to Permanent residency without leaving the country people have had to hop over to Bali and come straight back just for that reason.
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012   #11
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I am working for Turkish Air Force. (which is an active Nato member) I am holding a masters degree in computer engineering. Studied in the states. I have a work experience of 7 years in the air force. I am holding a Turkish passport. What procedures should i follow to apply for ADF as a software engineer. Should i have to be a citizen or hold a living permit? Might be explained above but i didn't get it thoroughly. I guess i cannot apply online. Works if i drop by the Australian Embassy?

I also have some 60 hours of flying with the military training planes. Worth anything if i present them?

Thanks.

Last edited by baknedicem; May 21st, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
baknedicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012   #12
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baknedicem View Post
I guess i cannot apply online. Works if i drop by the Australian Embassy.
No you can express interest online. Only later would you be required to apply in person and also undergo security vetting.

The Air Force at the moment is only interested in overseas recruitment of fighter pilots and test pilots. The Navy is also interested in a limited sub set of experiences, mostly submarines, amphibious and AEGIS system personnel.

But the Army is looking for software engineers.

Check out:

Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs
Abraham Gubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012   #13
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
joining the air force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc 1 View Post
Hi there,
I am 18 and wanting to become an Air Combat officer in the RAAF. It would be direct entry from High School. How likely is it that they accept an 18yo as an officer?
mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012   #14
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum View Post
Hi there,
I am 18 and wanting to become an Air Combat officer in the RAAF. It would be direct entry from High School. How likely is it that they accept an 18yo as an officer?
They'd most likely recommend you go/apply to ADFA. They get iffy about younger people going direct-entry officer straight out of high school, due to a lack of life experience. Well, at least that is for the Army, might be different for the Air Force.

Either way, go through the application process and they'll help you out and let you know if your age for direct-entry is going to be a sticking point. But going through ADFA would probably be best anyway, because you are going to need to get a degree at some stage anyway for career advancement.
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012   #15
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum View Post
Hi there,
Have a bit of a sqiz here tiger: Entry | Air Combat Officer | Defence Jobs

I wasn't a powder blue so don't quote me on this but Direct entry officers were normally related to positions that required significant outside training such as medical officers, nurses, psyches, dentists and some pilot streams.

I went through Duntroon as an 18 year old when I arrived, then graduated a month after my 20th Birthday 18 months later as an officer. That's the conventional way in without a degree (you can pick up the degree later) or, and probably smarter - do the ADFA thing, be paid to be a student, gain a little extra maturity (not having a shot at you but I was nearly a teenager leading a platoon) and graduate with your degree too.
Marc 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: