Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs

I stumbled across this today, and I thought it was pretty interesting! Does anyone know of any other countries that are actively recruiting foreign experienced military personnel?

The US military will accept people with prior foreign military service, but they have to all ready be US Citizens or Permanent Legal Residents and they get no speccial consideration for (or recognition of) of thier service. I work with a gentleman who retired from the Irish Army Rangers as a senior NCO, and when he joined the US Army National Guard he had to come in a Private and go through US Army BCT (he's a Staff Sergeant now).

Does anyone know how the ADF system is going to work? They say they are specifically looking for experienced NCOs and Officers - will they keep their prior service's Rank, etc?

I was suprised at how well ADF personnel are paid - they must be near the high end of the military pay scale. An ADF Private makes 41,658 AUD a year, which comes out to 44,311 USD. That's equivilent to the pay of a US Army SFC/E-7 with 10+ years in service OR a 1st LT! A US Army Private (E-2) has a base salary of 20,052 USD per year in comparison!!!

Adrian

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Does anyone know how the ADF system is going to work? They say they are specifically looking for experienced NCOs and Officers - will they keep their prior service's Rank, etc?
There's nothing new with the ADF recruiting lateral transfers - its been going on as long as Australia's had a military. Originally all Commonwealth militaries where all essentially the same anyway, the only difference lately is that laterals from non-Commonwealth countries (ie, the US) might get accepted. They actually stopped lateral transfers for a year or two because recruiting and retention was so high (and some of the laterals were useless), so this is just announcing a recommencement.

Every recruit is different, but prior service is recognised, but usually a transfer will involve a reduction in rank - ie, a WO2 from the British Army might be recruited and given a job as a SGT. The deal involves a minimum period of service (4-6 years usually) and the accepting of Australian citizenship.

I was suprised at how well ADF personnel are paid - they must be near the high end of the military pay scale. An ADF Private makes 41,658 AUD a year, which comes out to 44,311 USD. That's equivilent to the pay of a US Army SFC/E-7 with 10+ years in service OR a 1st LT! A US Army Private (E-2) has a base salary of 20,052 USD per year in comparison!!!
You've got to include service allowance ($12 128 pa) before you get the real base pay rate. The minimum a brand new private will receive is $56 065 pa. It is a pretty good wage, yet diggers still always whinge about how little they get paid.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Then again Adrian, many things cost a stack more here in Australia - Real estate (and not just because your prices have nose dived post GFC), vehicles etc. A Honda CRV EX (4wd) in the US for example costs $23,545. An equivalent vehicle here costs $30,390. Google the Big Mac Index and you'll get an idea of the difference.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Then again Adrian, many things cost a stack more here in Australia - Real estate (and not just because your prices have nose dived post GFC), vehicles etc. A Honda CRV EX (4wd) in the US for example costs $23,545. An equivalent vehicle here costs $30,390. Google the Big Mac Index and you'll get an idea of the difference.
But other things are a lot cheaper, like Health Care and university education. These are big ticket items in the USA but much cheaper here because they are Govt. funded.

lopez

You've got to include service allowance ($12 128 pa) before you get the real base pay rate. The minimum a brand new private will receive is $56 065 pa. It is a pretty good wage, yet diggers still always whinge about how little they get paid.
There are also all kinds of different allowance packed on the top of that too... Field pay and the like. Your pay shoots off through the roof while deployed

check out the pay scales http://content.defencejobs.gov.au/pdf/triservice/DFT_Document_PayRates.pdf.

lopez

But other things are a lot cheaper, like Health Care and university education. These are big ticket items in the USA but much cheaper here because they are Govt. funded.
If you are in the ADF they wont cost you much at all... They are fully paid for aren't they?

eranova

There's nothing new with the ADF recruiting lateral transfers - its been going on as long as Australia's had a military. Originally all Commonwealth militaries where all essentially the same anyway, the only difference lately is that laterals from non-Commonwealth countries (ie, the US) might get accepted. They actually stopped lateral transfers for a year or two because recruiting and retention was so high (and some of the laterals were useless), so this is just announcing a recommencement.

Every recruit is different, but prior service is recognised, but usually a transfer will involve a reduction in rank - ie, a WO2 from the British Army might be recruited and given a job as a SGT. The deal involves a minimum period of service (4-6 years usually) and the accepting of Australian citizenship.

If i come to Australia on a tourist visa. Would I still be able to join the Australian military?

eranova

No.

To apply you need the right to reside in Australia.

But lets say I am from a foreign country and my only intent to go to Australia is to join their military. That being said I am not a permanent resident of Australia yet because I will not get a permanent residency unless I have a job or something like that. I wont be able to join their military in that case?

Vanguard

If you are a serving member of a Commonwealth or probably even NATO military who meets the basic requirements for this program and has a genuine interest you could probably call up recruitment and organise some sort of visit whilst on holiday, say if you were going to bring your family out to see if they like the country. If you are of a desired skill and gave them reasonable advanced warning they would probably arrange someone to show you around and so forth to try and get your pen on the paper.

In terms of actual enlistment though that would be near impossible, I am also fairly confident that you cannot upgrade your Holiday Visa to Permanent residency without leaving the country – people have had to hop over to Bali and come straight back just for that reason.

baknedicem

I am working for Turkish Air Force. (which is an active Nato member) I am holding a masters degree in computer engineering. Studied in the states. I have a work experience of 7 years in the air force. I am holding a Turkish passport. What procedures should i follow to apply for ADF as a software engineer. Should i have to be a citizen or hold a living permit? Might be explained above but i didn't get it thoroughly. I guess i cannot apply online. Works if i drop by the Australian Embassy?

I also have some 60 hours of flying with the military training planes. Worth anything if i present them?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I guess i cannot apply online. Works if i drop by the Australian Embassy.
No you can express interest online. Only later would you be required to apply in person and also undergo security vetting.

The Air Force at the moment is only interested in overseas recruitment of fighter pilots and test pilots. The Navy is also interested in a limited sub set of experiences, mostly submarines, amphibious and AEGIS system personnel.

But the Army is looking for software engineers.

Check out:

Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs

mum

joining the air force

Hi there,
I am 18 and wanting to become an Air Combat officer in the RAAF. It would be direct entry from High School. How likely is it that they accept an 18yo as an officer?

Equinox

Hi there,
I am 18 and wanting to become an Air Combat officer in the RAAF. It would be direct entry from High School. How likely is it that they accept an 18yo as an officer?
They'd most likely recommend you go/apply to ADFA. They get iffy about younger people going direct-entry officer straight out of high school, due to a lack of life experience. Well, at least that is for the Army, might be different for the Air Force.

Either way, go through the application process and they'll help you out and let you know if your age for direct-entry is going to be a sticking point. But going through ADFA would probably be best anyway, because you are going to need to get a degree at some stage anyway for career advancement.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi there,
Have a bit of a sqiz here tiger: Entry | Air Combat Officer | Defence Jobs

I wasn't a powder blue so don't quote me on this but Direct entry officers were normally related to positions that required significant outside training such as medical officers, nurses, psyches, dentists and some pilot streams.

I went through Duntroon as an 18 year old when I arrived, then graduated a month after my 20th Birthday 18 months later as an officer. That's the conventional way in without a degree (you can pick up the degree later) or, and probably smarter - do the ADFA thing, be paid to be a student, gain a little extra maturity (not having a shot at you but I was nearly a teenager leading a platoon) and graduate with your degree too.

baknedicem

But the Army is looking for software engineers.

Check out:
Thanks for the information. In my country there is a significant difference between Air Force and Land Forces (Army in this case). Due to it's nature of using expensive technology, people prefer to work for Air Force. Moreover, Air Force is not so strict compared to the land forces. I mean, people feel much more comfortable in an Air Force Base than in a Land Force Base. Anything similar in ADF? I mean, i would like to apply as a software engineer.
That means i won't be on the pitch giving orders or following them? Or does it?

I am planning to apply several years later in which i become a captain and hopefully complete my PhD. Is there an age or rank limitation? I need to plan everything carefully so that nothing goes wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for the information. In my country there is a significant difference between Air Force and Land Forces (Army in this case). Due to it's nature of using expensive technology, people prefer to work for Air Force. Moreover, Air Force is not so strict compared to the land forces. I mean, people feel much more comfortable in an Air Force Base than in a Land Force Base. Anything similar in ADF? I mean, i would like to apply as a software engineer.
That means i won't be on the pitch giving orders or following them? Or does it?

I am planning to apply several years later in which i become a captain and hopefully complete my PhD. Is there an age or rank limitation? I need to plan everything carefully so that nothing goes wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
One concept that you must agree to before joining any armed service is exactly that, SERVICE. This means that you must be prepared to forgo some of the comforts and self indulgences of modern life and sacrifice your individual freedoms for the good of the country you serve.
It means both obeying lawful commands and, when you are promoted to higher rank, giving those commands and being responsible for the welfare of those junior to yourself.
It matters not whether you join as a doctor, a pilot, a software engineer or a soldier, sailor or airman, you are all subject to the discipline and restraints to your personal freedom that SERVICE implies.

Having said all that, the benefits to serving are fantastic and many; and none better than the pride one feels when wearing the uniform.
Cheers

baknedicem

One concept that you must agree to before joining any armed service is exactly that, SERVICE. This means that you must be prepared to forgo some of the comforts and self indulgences of modern life and sacrifice your individual freedoms for the good of the country you serve.
It means both obeying lawful commands and, when you are promoted to higher rank, giving those commands and being responsible for the welfare of those junior to yourself.
It matters not whether you join as a doctor, a pilot, a software engineer or a soldier, sailor or airman, you are all subject to the discipline and restraints to your personal freedom that SERVICE implies.

Having said all that, the benefits to serving are fantastic and many; and none better than the pride one feels when wearing the uniform.
Cheers
Actually, i have been serving in the army quite a long time. (For some 15 years including the Air Force High School and Academy) So explaining the general concepts of being a military personnel was a little bit redundant. I was just inquiring about about the similarities and the differences. I suppose my post lead you whether i question the level of professionalism in ADF or not. I just want to know how the conditions are for a software engineer in the army. I mean, if i had the chance, i would like to be a member of the Air Force.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Actually, i have been serving in the army quite a long time. (For some 15 years including the Air Force High School and Academy) So explaining the general concepts of being a military personnel was a little bit redundant. I was just inquiring about about the similarities and the differences. I suppose my post lead you whether i question the level of professionalism in ADF or not. I just want to know how the conditions are for a software engineer in the army. I mean, if i had the chance, i would like to be a member of the Air Force.
I'm sorry if my post sounded condascending. In your post you sounded like a graduate looking for a service career.
Each of the arms of the ADF provide points of interest which will attract potential recruits and I suggest easy life and comfort are the last thing they look for.
However, for the benefit of any young men and women thinking of a service career and reading DT, I stand by my comments.

brinktk

Interesting article. This is quite a lucrative offer. I wonder how much of my training and education would transfer to the ADF if I found myself in a position to go to Australia?