Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

ExPB14_JAS-39_Gripen.jpg

ExPB14_Mirage2000.jpg

6_EXPB14_20140729_088_3_RSAF_F16s.jpg

5_EXPB14_20140729_143_3_RSAF_F-15SGs.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel

This is a discussion on Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by Abraham Gubler But the Army is looking for software engineers. Check out: Thanks for the information. In ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old May 23rd, 2012   #16
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Gubler View Post

But the Army is looking for software engineers.

Check out:
Thanks for the information. In my country there is a significant difference between Air Force and Land Forces (Army in this case). Due to it's nature of using expensive technology, people prefer to work for Air Force. Moreover, Air Force is not so strict compared to the land forces. I mean, people feel much more comfortable in an Air Force Base than in a Land Force Base. Anything similar in ADF? I mean, i would like to apply as a software engineer.
That means i won't be on the pitch giving orders or following them? Or does it?

I am planning to apply several years later in which i become a captain and hopefully complete my PhD. Is there an age or rank limitation? I need to plan everything carefully so that nothing goes wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
baknedicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012   #17
Defense Professional / Analyst
Major
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baknedicem View Post
Thanks for the information. In my country there is a significant difference between Air Force and Land Forces (Army in this case). Due to it's nature of using expensive technology, people prefer to work for Air Force. Moreover, Air Force is not so strict compared to the land forces. I mean, people feel much more comfortable in an Air Force Base than in a Land Force Base. Anything similar in ADF? I mean, i would like to apply as a software engineer.
That means i won't be on the pitch giving orders or following them? Or does it?

I am planning to apply several years later in which i become a captain and hopefully complete my PhD. Is there an age or rank limitation? I need to plan everything carefully so that nothing goes wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
One concept that you must agree to before joining any armed service is exactly that, SERVICE. This means that you must be prepared to forgo some of the comforts and self indulgences of modern life and sacrifice your individual freedoms for the good of the country you serve.
It means both obeying lawful commands and, when you are promoted to higher rank, giving those commands and being responsible for the welfare of those junior to yourself.
It matters not whether you join as a doctor, a pilot, a software engineer or a soldier, sailor or airman, you are all subject to the discipline and restraints to your personal freedom that SERVICE implies.

Having said all that, the benefits to serving are fantastic and many; and none better than the pride one feels when wearing the uniform.
Cheers
ASSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012   #18
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAIL View Post
One concept that you must agree to before joining any armed service is exactly that, SERVICE. This means that you must be prepared to forgo some of the comforts and self indulgences of modern life and sacrifice your individual freedoms for the good of the country you serve.
It means both obeying lawful commands and, when you are promoted to higher rank, giving those commands and being responsible for the welfare of those junior to yourself.
It matters not whether you join as a doctor, a pilot, a software engineer or a soldier, sailor or airman, you are all subject to the discipline and restraints to your personal freedom that SERVICE implies.

Having said all that, the benefits to serving are fantastic and many; and none better than the pride one feels when wearing the uniform.
Cheers
Actually, i have been serving in the army quite a long time. (For some 15 years including the Air Force High School and Academy) So explaining the general concepts of being a military personnel was a little bit redundant. I was just inquiring about about the similarities and the differences. I suppose my post lead you whether i question the level of professionalism in ADF or not. I just want to know how the conditions are for a software engineer in the army. I mean, if i had the chance, i would like to be a member of the Air Force.
baknedicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012   #19
Major
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baknedicem View Post
Actually, i have been serving in the army quite a long time. (For some 15 years including the Air Force High School and Academy) So explaining the general concepts of being a military personnel was a little bit redundant. I was just inquiring about about the similarities and the differences. I suppose my post lead you whether i question the level of professionalism in ADF or not. I just want to know how the conditions are for a software engineer in the army. I mean, if i had the chance, i would like to be a member of the Air Force.
I'm sorry if my post sounded condascending. In your post you sounded like a graduate looking for a service career.
Each of the arms of the ADF provide points of interest which will attract potential recruits and I suggest easy life and comfort are the last thing they look for.
However, for the benefit of any young men and women thinking of a service career and reading DT, I stand by my comments.
ASSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012   #20
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Interesting article. This is quite a lucrative offer. I wonder how much of my training and education would transfer to the ADF if I found myself in a position to go to Australia?
brinktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012   #21
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Combat Medic

Right now I'm a combat medic in the US Army. I'm a sergeant and have been in 6 years now. I heard mention of this from an officer in my unit and it does sound interesting I'm just wondering how much my rank would drop, because they want leaders there and if I was no longer in a leadership position, it wouldn't be worth their time. Also, about the training and deployments that I have had, along with the civilian education that I've earned, does that transfer over with me? I have always wanted to go to Australia and find the country quite fascinating, this seems like it might be a good opportunity but what about my family? I have a husband and soon to be 3 children. Is there a limit or limiting factors when it comes to that as well?
JackQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012   #22
Captain
Threads:
JackQ, I work with guy who was a medic in the UK, he tanferred to Aust RMYY as a a junior NCO, a reduction in rank for him, but pay and condition were higher than what he earned in the Britih army at a higher rank, he also progressed quite quickly through our rank structure. He WA frustrated by the way we do things, over all he rated our army highly, but remember we are a small army, and don't have the logistics of the UK or US.
old faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012   #23
Lieutenant Colonel
Threads:
http://content.defencejobs.gov.au/pd...t_PayRates.pdf
Normally defence drops you in one rank until they are satisfied that your suitable for promotion, which is generally a shorter timeframe then others depending on your training, knowledge and experience.

You'll find ADF pay scale to any US Military is vastly different as we have multiple perks on top of salary, for medics your looking towards 7 or 8 on the pay scale.
Salary + Service allowance($12,000p.a) + courses/knowledge (depending on corp) field allowance + operational deployments (for afghanistan this is about $250 a day, plus your full pay is tax free while in the region)
Also our deployments tend to last 6-9 months, and very rarely extend 12months. Im saying this as medics are considered a priority for deployment with current tempo.

Right now ADF is targetting foreign allied personnel with skills and trades that we are lacking. Best way to find out if its possible is get in touch with Defence recruiting.
Recruitment Centre - Defence Jobs Australia
Regards
Icelord
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012   #24
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Thanks very much for that information. The recruitment page is helpful and I think that it answered a lot of the questions that I had. I would really love to serve in the Australian Army and have the opportunity to become a citizen there. That just blows my mind! I have less than 2 years left in the US Army and I'm really looking forward to getting out. It was always too big for me, where people get over looked too easily and when half the country hates you, the country that you're defending (or at least told that you are), you start to question if you're doing the right thing.
JackQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012   #25
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranova View Post
But lets say I am from a foreign country and my only intent to go to Australia is to join their military. That being said I am not a permanent resident of Australia yet because I will not get a permanent residency unless I have a job or something like that. I wont be able to join their military in that case?
As mentioned by others, you have to demonstrate intent to eventually become Aust Citizen. The minimum requirement is perm res, and having an application in process for citizenship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum View Post
Hi there,
I am 18 and wanting to become an Air Combat officer in the RAAF. It would be direct entry from High School. How likely is it that they accept an 18yo as an officer?
It is possible however the preference for many is to study a degree of some sort either at ADFA or undergraduate scheme. That being said, there are many pilots and ACOs didn't go down that path, however, if you fail, there is almost no second chance.
NeoDeGenero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013   #26
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackQ View Post
Thanks very much for that information. The recruitment page is helpful and I think that it answered a lot of the questions that I had. I would really love to serve in the Australian Army and have the opportunity to become a citizen there. That just blows my mind! I have less than 2 years left in the US Army and I'm really looking forward to getting out. It was always too big for me, where people get over looked too easily and when half the country hates you, the country that you're defending (or at least told that you are), you start to question if you're doing the right thing.
Any luck with this program? Former Army mechanic now English teacher.
kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013   #27
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Lateral Transfer to ADF

Firstly thank you to everyone commenting wrt the lateral transfer, you have enlightened me tremendously.

I am an Int Off at a Spec Force Regt in the South African National Defence Force for the past 6 yrs, and a member of the SANDF for 15 yrs.

I've read up alot on different blogs wrt the lateral transfer system, but most are not updated recently.

I submitted my EOI on the ADF recruitment site end of Feb 2013. I though have a couple of questions, if anyone could be helpful?

1. Is the preocess still between a year or two since the first contact until reporting at your new unit?

2. Will it fasten the process if I am willing to visit Australia on own cost to complete some of the documents there as well as attend the interview?

3. Assuming that there is not many transfer requests from SA, if an Officer would travel just for one application?

4. Am I aiming too high to think that I am worthy to even be concidered for lateral transfer?

My wife and I are looking so foward to relocate to Aus and every day waiting for a reply feels like a week.
Phalafornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013   #28
Just Hatched
Private
Threads:
Lateral Transfer

Also Is it true that all the interviews are done in England? Being that I am in Canada, it can be costly to fly over there for an interview. Is there any way for Canadians to do the interviews here or do it via phone. Just a thought
ammotech921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013   #29
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
joining ADF

hi i am capt asad serving in army , i want to know the procedure for joining australian army
capt asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013   #30
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Hi all !

i'm writing about recruitment. I'm italian my name is Paolo, i'm 26 and i'm a Italian nurse (graduate with Rome University "La Sapienza").
Can you help me? How can I join to ADF (prefer army or air force) as nurse?
I served my country from 2005 to 2006 (VFP1 = volunteer one year in IT Army). After military leave I entered university in 2008 and in 2012 i graduate in nursing.

ADF nurses are officer (Royal Military College)...as you well know in Italy defense nurses have university degree but they can't attending the Italian Medicin Academy, we are the only NATO country without nurses officer.
Sorry for my bad english and thanks for help me

Best regards, Paolo
IT_nurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: