Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

F-35_launches_Joint_Strike_Missile.jpg

us-south-korea-drill.jpg

this-year-12700-us-troops-are-participating-alongside-many-more-south-korean-soldiers.jpg

the-us-routinely-dedicates-an-extremely-large-contingent-of-soldiers-and-marines-to-the-drills.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Australian Army Discussions and Updates

This is a discussion on Australian Army Discussions and Updates within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Shit my last post here was not supposed to be in this thread. But some AUG gucci pictures as an ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 3.75 average.
Old January 9th, 2007   #121
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
Threads:
Shit my last post here was not supposed to be in this thread.

But some AUG gucci pictures as an alibi.

http://www.specops.superhost.pl/tech...8HB0596_01.jpg

http://www.specops.superhost.pl/tech...G/G8HB0566.jpg

http://www.specops.superhost.pl/tech...8HB0601_01.jpg
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007   #122
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Thanks Waylander. You're forgiven!

Nice set of pics demonstrating the attachments available.

Cheers
Tasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007   #123
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooki View Post
Phhffffft..... Are you seriously trying to tell me you (or any other digger) didn't know how to convert an SLR to full auto?

It was full auto when you wnated it to be.

cheers

w
ha ha! all that you needed was a broken matchstick under the safty sear. If you were caught doing it, you were in deep shit!....up to youre nostrils!
old faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007   #124
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by old faithful View Post
ha ha! all that you needed was a broken matchstick under the safty sear. If you were caught doing it, you were in deep shit!....up to youre nostrils!
matchstick?... you know, I never saw the matchstick used... piece of scrunched up tinfoil, as it was easier to get out....

mis-spent youth...

cheers

w
Wooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007   #125
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Land-17 decision soonish?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-31477,00.html

"
Army has big guns in its sights
  • Mark Dodd
  • January 09, 2007
THE Australian army expects to know within six months the outcome of a $600 million contract to buy new heavy artillery, including, for the first time, 155mm self-propelled guns.

Dubbed Land-17, the project is on track and a formal call for tenders is expected shortly, Chief of Army Peter Leahy said yesterday. Potential contenders for 155mm howitzers to replace Vietnam era big guns include firms from Israel, Singapore and France. Lieutenant-General Leahy said the army would get a mix of towed and self-propelled artillery.
"We're trying to get some prices and have a look at some equipment to see what we're getting for our money," he said.
"My preference would be for the self-propelled and have more of that rather than towed artillery. I think towards the middle of this year we should get a pretty good decision."
Contenders include the Bofors Archer truck-mounted 155mm system with a towable version as an option. France's GIAT industries is keen to showcase its Caesar self-propelled weapons system. Other possible contenders include Israeli Soltam's truck-mounted Atmos 2000 and a 20-tonne tracked Rascal self-propelled gun.
Singapore is likely to attract interest with its air-portable, semi-mobile Pegasus howitzer system."

OK folks, who reckons they have an idea of what is likely to be purchased?
There has been some grumbling over the years that the Korean K9 might have a leg in. Ex DefMin Hill was apparently quite taken with them. Wonder what Nelson thinks?

Wasn't a Bofors Archer unit paraded around the traps last year or the year before(?).

rb
rossfrb_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007   #126
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon9 View Post
Oh, come on gf, THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!
Life is not about being fair!

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007   #127
Banned Member
Lieutenant Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger View Post
It was the K-9 Thunder, but the mere fact it was tested here, means nothing. The RFT hasn't even been released yet. The Caesar was tested here 2 years ago and the RFI documents and the requirement for "crew protection whilst firing" ruled out the "gun on a truck" solutions...

The BIG problem with the K-9 is that a second armoured vehicle, the "K-10" is required to accompany it. For every artillery piece, you need to acquire ANOTHER armoured vehicle.

Seems a bit pricey for the "least" capable of the vehicles offered...

But maybe that's just me...
Yep, Artillery wants "The modernised offensive support system will be characterised by responsiveness, high tactical mobility, greater autonomy and survivability. ", and 'survivability' means armour plating
FutureTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007   #128
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfrb_1 View Post

"
  • Mark Dodd
  • January 09, 2007
THE Australian army expects to know within six months the outcome of a $600 million contract to buy new heavy artillery, including, for the first time, 155mm self-propelled guns.

Dubbed Land-17, the project is on track and a formal call for tenders is expected shortly, Chief of Army Peter Leahy said yesterday. Potential contenders for 155mm howitzers to replace Vietnam era big guns include firms from Israel, Singapore and France. Lieutenant-General Leahy said the army would get a mix of towed and self-propelled artillery.
"We're trying to get some prices and have a look at some equipment to see what we're getting for our money," he said.
"My preference would be for the self-propelled and have more of that rather than towed artillery. I think towards the middle of this year we should get a pretty good decision."
Contenders include the Bofors Archer truck-mounted 155mm system with a towable version as an option. France's GIAT industries is keen to showcase its Caesar self-propelled weapons system. Other possible contenders include Israeli Soltam's truck-mounted Atmos 2000 and a 20-tonne tracked Rascal self-propelled gun.
Singapore is likely to attract interest with its air-portable, semi-mobile Pegasus howitzer system."

OK folks, who reckons they have an idea of what is likely to be purchased?
There has been some grumbling over the years that the Korean K9 might have a leg in. Ex DefMin Hill was apparently quite taken with them. Wonder what Nelson thinks?

Wasn't a Bofors Archer unit paraded around the traps last year or the year before(?).

rb
Once again the "wide spread" media displays it's complete ignorance of the "real" goings on in defence. If it read the tender details and actually understood them it means that Caesar and ATMOS 2000 are ruled out immediately from competition.

A further understanding of the Kinnaird rules, whilst not completely ruling out Archer and G6, certainly puts them firmly into the "outsiders" camp. The choice will most likely come down to PZH-2000 and K-9, with Archer the most likely "outsider" (this is purely based on my opinion however)...

It's a bit hard to suggest which will win, when the tender hasn't even been released yet (ie: no-one has actually bid yet), though if I were a betting man, I'd be putting my money on PZH-2000...
Old January 10th, 2007   #129
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfrb_1 View Post

"
  • Mark Dodd
  • January 09, 2007

I was interested to see Lieutenant-General Leahy's comments that the army will get a mix of self propelled and towed artillery.

What are the benefits of each type? I can see some obvious benefits in SP artillery (mobility and protection for the gun crew) but what can the towed guns do better (presuming they are both of the same calibre)? Apologies if this has been addressed earlier and I have missed it.
Old January 10th, 2007   #130
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasman View Post
I was interested to see Lieutenant-General Leahy's comments that the army will get a mix of self propelled and towed artillery.

What are the benefits of each type? I can see some obvious benefits in SP artillery (mobility and protection for the gun crew) but what can the towed guns do better (presuming they are both of the same calibre)? Apologies if this has been addressed earlier and I have missed it.
I'm pretty sure a towed gun can be "man handled" and lifted by a helicopter better than an SPG...
Old January 10th, 2007   #131
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure a towed gun can be "man handled" and lifted by a helicopter better than an SPG...
Yes. Pretty obvious when you think about it!

Cheers AD

Old January 10th, 2007   #132
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
Threads:
Could A modified Bushmaster theoretically carry a 105-155mm Gun on its rear with other support veicles for a light support role for infantry
lobbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007   #133
Banned Member
Lieutenant Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
A further understanding of the Kinnaird rules, whilst not completely ruling out Archer and G6, certainly puts them firmly into the "outsiders" camp. The choice will most likely come down to PZH-2000 and K-9, with Archer the most likely "outsider" (this is purely based on my opinion however)...

It's a bit hard to suggest which will win, when the tender hasn't even been released yet (ie: no-one has actually bid yet), though if I were a betting man, I'd be putting my money on PZH-2000...
Please don't let it be K-9. Its a dooooog
FutureTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007   #134
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubOneOut View Post
THE AGE
Brendan Nicholson
December 15, 2006

A $1 BILLION strategy to tackle the defence recruiting crisis has been approved by federal cabinet.
Prime Minister John Howard today will announce plans to boost the army, navy and air force by 6000 men and women.
A major component will be spending $306 million over 10 years on a military "gap year" scheme that will allow up to 1000 17 to 24-year-olds each year to spend a year in the services within two years of finishing year 12. They would be able to taste the military lifestyle and training, and would not have to stay if they don't like it.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...685825260.html

What are your thoughts? Personally, I applaud the government for shortening the general entry application time and I'd also like to see how far they relax the medical criteria, particularly when it comes to eyesight and orthotics.
Australian army was nothing but a coast guard the previous before John howard got in.This government has spent over 100 billon dollars in defence for capabilities and with another 100billon still to go.It wan't matter what prime minister is in ,they will have to keep up the motion.For the next election.tThis country has got goods tanks,bushranger,tiger.NH-90 helos,new guns,new artillary,new saterlite equipement,upgrades right across the board,
and so on. Hell I'M grateful to live in this country.Thank ADF.
PETER671BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007   #135
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTank View Post
Please don't let it be K-9. Its a dooooog
FT,

From what you and AD have said I get the impression that the K-9 is not 'flavour of the month' as far as members with good knowledge of modern armoured warfare requiements are concerned.

In Post 83 AD said:

Quote:
The BIG problem with the K-9 is that a second armoured vehicle, the "K-10" is required to accompany it. For every artillery piece, you need to acquire ANOTHER armoured vehicle.

Seems a bit pricey for the "least" capable of the vehicles offered...
Are there other issues as well that make this weapon a 'dooooog'?

Cheers

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: