Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

F-35_launches_Joint_Strike_Missile.jpg

us-south-korea-drill.jpg

this-year-12700-us-troops-are-participating-alongside-many-more-south-korean-soldiers.jpg

the-us-routinely-dedicates-an-extremely-large-contingent-of-soldiers-and-marines-to-the-drills.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Australian Army Discussions and Updates

This is a discussion on Australian Army Discussions and Updates within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by Stryker001 I like the new Australian stance on Afghanistan, prove to us you are going to win ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 3.75 average.
Old March 21st, 2008   #946
Defense Professional / Analyst
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker001 View Post
I like the new Australian stance on Afghanistan, prove to us you are going to win or no more troops. Which really means a reduction at some stage similar to Iraq. Starting to sound like the local tribes always switching sides if they think the other side will win.
Do you actually believe the twaddle you've just spouted or are you trolling for a response?

Your response is deeply offensive and utterly stupid.

The same "threats" have been made by Canada and Holland and reflect the immense frustration Australia has with what is supposed to be a NATO-led force in the 'ghan in particular. Seems like some parts of NATO actually believe in the concept and others just posture when it suits their home political needs. The image of a lack of leadership and cohesion this gives to arses like Al Queida and the Taliban is what leads to a continuation in hostilities.

IF you knew more about Aussie politics then you would know this has more to do with actually getting clear direction from NATO etc as to what the strategy is. Aussies are never too fond of being left on the sidelines and not being told anything.
buglerbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008   #947
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Control your province; rebuild the infrastructure and Government services, so you can leave or have minimal troop numbers on the ground, or move to another province. I know enough about politics to know that any angle that leads to disengagement is an option.

So the solution to the NATO problem is to threaten to limit troop numbers. You wait it will back to painting rocks.

I'm not casting aspersion in regards to the boots on the ground.
Stryker001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008   #948
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker001 View Post
Control your province; rebuild the infrastructure and Government services, so you can leave or have minimal troop numbers on the ground, or move to another province. I know enough about politics to know that any angle that leads to disengagement is an option.

So the solution to the NATO problem is to threaten to limit troop numbers. You wait it will back to painting rocks.

I'm not casting aspersion in regards to the boots on the ground.
I'd go and look see what they have done in Iraq. To be blunt they are a wasted asset where they currently are.

They need to be out of Iraq to be used in Afghanistan.

Your second sentence is as dumb as your initial remarks and by the way, the new Defence Minister that made the remarks is a dumb mutha little regarded by most here.

He has the typical political tendency to shoot his mouth off before extracting his foot from his mouth.
Old March 21st, 2008   #949
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Admin. Text deleted. Off topic

Last edited by gf0012-aust; March 23rd, 2008 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Off topic deletion
Stryker001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008   #950
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
have the australian steyrs been upgraded to a 'modualr' weapons system across all forces? or is it just in selective units at this stage?
mattyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008   #951
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Admin. Text deleted. Off topic

Last edited by gf0012-aust; March 23rd, 2008 at 06:19 AM. Reason: off topic deletion
Capt. Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008   #952
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
What the f#*k any of these comments now have to do with the Australian Army I have no idea..............get a grip on reality people and stop this national flogging/name-calling, we all know we cannot trust any politician, and mistakes have been made galore whether in Iraq OR Afghanistan. Nobody is "clean" on this matter and the on-going problems we are all going to have is going to be varied and difficult to resolve successfully.

I'd suggest this thread be closed for a while if matters don't cool down..............and please stick to the Australian Army!
Old March 25th, 2008   #953
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyem View Post
have the australian steyrs been upgraded to a 'modualr' weapons system across all forces? or is it just in selective units at this stage?
They have been modified across ADF. Australian Steyrs are now of the F-88A1 standard and can be fitted with a range of "add ons" including Night Aiming Devices (NAD's...) M203 PI Grenade Launchers and the "F-88A1 S" variants have Picatinny rail systems fitted which allow the carriage of different sighting systems including night vision scopes, thermal imaging scopes and more capable optical scopes (wildcat scopes etc).

A program to upgrade them further is just around the corner to. I expect they will be known as the A3 or A4 version by then...

Regards

AD
Old March 26th, 2008   #954
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Pic of a F88 rifle w/ m203, elcan sight, flashlight and night fighting equipment. Unless there's a change in standard infantry calibre, I don't see anything dramatic happening.

http://www.defence.gov.au/opcatalyst...638_094_lo.jpg
winnyfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008   #955
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnyfield View Post
Pic of a F88 rifle w/ m203, elcan sight, flashlight and night fighting equipment. Unless there's a change in standard infantry calibre, I don't see anything dramatic happening.

http://www.defence.gov.au/opcatalyst...638_094_lo.jpg

every single weapon should be exactly that. (standard issue)
(as per photo)
Jezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008   #956
General
Threads:
With a M203 for every trooper?
A little bit too many 40mms for me.
One has to remember that with such an outift every trooper has to carry a full load of 40mm rounds.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008   #957
Captain
Threads:
jezza...if the bloke in the photo was a number 2 gunner, he would be carrying a spare barrel and 4-600 rounds for the gunner, as well as all his own kit,300 rds for his styer..where would you suggest he carry his 40mm rounds (16) as well as his claymores or 66, or stinger? the rifle is now modular, so can be modified for specific roles in the section. not nessasary for every one to have 40mm as well as torch....in the dark green (jungle0 the last thing i want strapped to my rifle is a torch! and unless i can get canister rounds, i dont want the 40mm either! its flexible as it is, and has come a long way from the the origonal F88,s we got. i suspect with the new Govt, we will be stuck with what we have for a very very long time to come. i joined in 1985, and we were still useing vietnam hand me downs...rations included! hawke govt.
old faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008   #958
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by old faithful View Post
i joined in 1985, and we were still useing vietnam hand me downs...rations included! hawke govt.
Isn't it like that everywhere? I remember having to sort out all pre-June-1964 tents from my platoon's stocks in the Bundeswehr one sunny day in 1999.
kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008   #959
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
Threads:
An M203 with a KAC Quadrant sight and a red dot sight makes the gun really front heavy, somthing not that good if you need to run fast, besides usually the members of the squad without the M203 carry a LAW-66...
lobbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008   #960
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
A British Study in the 50s suggested a 6.4 or so mm round, MAybe the West could adopt around in 6.8mm size BUT with less power like the 7.62mm Soviet for the AK-47 and RPK vs. The 7.62 Mosin Nagant round for the Dragunov and RPD.

is the 7.62 in the PKM the same as the Mosin Nagant Round?

For the Steyr, on paper it looks pretty good (I haven't fired it), and it's bullpup so that helps with the weight.
X6958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: