Army Organzation - The different divisions/battalions/regiments, etc.

Inceptor57

I'm very confused on how the army organizes their units in their different groups.

Take the 1st Armored Division:

I'm looking through their military structure and noticed that each unit aren't really in either numerical order or in the same battalions. Like under the "1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team" I got 4th Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, then the next is the 1st Battalion 36th Infantry Regiment, then the next which is 3rd Battalion 41st Infantry Regiment. Like aside from the same division, are they even suppose to be in the same thing?

Why are different battalions the formation of one combat team? Why is it the "36th" regiment? I'm just confused on these numbers and the organization of the forces. What chooses which number go to which for the regiment and battalions?

Appreciate any help or anything that can help me research this.

FormerDirtDart

I'm very confused on how the army organizes their units in their different groups.

I'm looking through their military structure and noticed that each unit aren't really in either numerical order or in the same battalions. Like under the "1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team" I got 4th Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, then the next is the 1st Battalion 36th Infantry Regiment, then the next which is 3rd Battalion 41st Infantry Regiment. Like aside from the same division, are they even suppose to be in the same thing?

Why are different battalions the formation of one combat team? Why is it the "36th" regiment? I'm just confused on these numbers and the organization of the forces. What chooses which number go to which for the regiment and battalions?

First of, you should have either specified whose "Army" you are referring when starting a new thread. Or, it you intended the thread to be a general "Army" organization discussion, you should have specified the specific Army you were referring to/had questions about when you posted the threads first comment. There is more than one, and this certainly isn't an American centric forum.

Next,since you stated you wanted help with research, here's some reading for you from the US Army Center Of Military History
Start with The Combat Arms Regimental System: Questions and Answers

Then, delve into Reflagging in the Army, which covers the steps taken to determine the order of precedence to on which Divisions/Regiments/Battalions would be retained during the US Amry's drawdown over 1990-1996

Ranger25

Staff member

The US Army has a history of reflagging Regimental and Battalion colors Take for instance the Former 24th ID(Mech) at Fort , it's been reflagged to the 3rd ID after the redeployment for NATO after the wall came down. Unfortunately the US Army consistently reflags units often. So for instance the 3rd ID's three Brigade may internally be referred to at 1st, 2nd, 3rd Brigade they are flagged differently than to provide some level of Regimentsl history and pride.

Hope this helps

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Australian, Canadian and New Zealand armies have a similar formation model based on the British model. The various European armies structure their formations according to their individual preferences. The Russian and most if not all ex Soviet and Warsaw Pact armies will have their formations similar to the Soviet model. You will also find that most armies that the Soviets advised, such as the Vietnamese Peoples Army and the Chinese PLA will be similar to the Soviet model. Of course the USA has its own model that it works to. Hence it can sometimes be somewhat confusing comparing formations across various armies. By the way the rank structures are like that too.

Last edited: