Army Air Corps to receive reconnaissance helicopters

wzhtg

[size=+2]Army Air Corps to receive reconnaissance helicopters[/size]

KLUANG: The Malaysian Army will begin receiving Agusta A109 LOH Light Observation Helicopters for its Air Corps in stages from the end of this year.

Army Chief Jen Datuk Seri Abdul Aziz Zainal said the first of 11 of the helicopters ordered two years ago would arrive in November while the rest will be delivered in the following months.

“We hope the arrival of the Agusta A109 LOH helicopters will further strengthen the Army's Air Corps and help realise our aim of having an Army Air Cavalry,†he said after the corps' 10th anniversary celebrations at the Makhota Camp here yesterday.

Jen Abdul Aziz said that although the helicopters, which were also used by several foreign armies, were reconnaissance and not attack helicopters, they would be fitted with rocket launching systems.

In 2003, the Malaysian Armed Forces signed an agreement with European defence manufacturer, Agusta Westland, to buy 11 Agusta A109 LOH helicopters valued at almost RM270mil.

Jen Abdul Aziz said the capability of the Air Corps which was set up in 1995 has risen steadily and it is now able to provide tactical air support without involving the armed forces' other branches and was also able to mobilise combined arms teams in various operations.

“I urge corps' personnel to hold to reality and continue their excellence in providing 'force multiplier' support to the army,†he said.

The army chief also said logistical management for the Air Corps would now be fully handled by the army and no longer by the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF).

On the army's focus for the Ninth Malaysia Plan, which begins next year and ends in 2010, he said it would concentrate on detection systems like UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles), radar and human intelligence.

“Besides this, the force will also strive to increase its strike capability,†said Jen Abdul Aziz.

The Star MalaysiaAlso present was Army Field Commander Lt Jen Datuk Masood Zainal Abidin. – Bernama

A

Aussie Digger

“I urge corps' personnel to hold to reality and continue their excellence in providing 'force multiplier' support to the army,†he said.

I guess Malaysia then won't be acquiring Rooivalk anytime soon...

wzhtg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha ya i guess so. Najib has gone to england to discuss the friagte deal so hopefully we would at least be able to get those. And ya still no news on the AWACS front. Things in the Malaysian military sure move hell if a slow. ANd the OPVs have also run into some problems.

driftder

More information about the Augusta A109 can be found here: http://www.agustawestland.com/products01_01.asp?id_product=3.

It looks a bit like the British Lynx and has capability for these weapons:
  • Rocket launcher 7/12/19 tubes 70/81 mm
  • Twin machine gun-pod 7.62 mm
  • Machine gun-pod 12.7/20 mm
  • Machine gun-pod 12.7 mm with 3 tubes 70 mm rockets
  • Antitank missiles (TOW, HOT or Hellfire)
  • Air-to-air missiles (Stinger or Mistral)
Rather impressive for a LUH.