31 US Troops Killed in Afghanistan

T.C.P

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un.

My sympathy and condolences to the family of the fallen.

Sampanviking

Banned Member
Surprised somewhat by the lack of interest in this story.
Mainstream media are talking about the Chinook being taken down by an RPG (presumably meaning an RPG-7). I suppose its not impossible, but would have to be the luckiest night time shot ever.
Does this incident perhaps mean that some of the various groups in Afghanistan have some rather more tasty manpads at their disposal, let alone some thermal imaging devices?

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends what they were doing. If they were loaded, trying to unload, then they would have been sitting ducks to a couple of RPG's. Don't know the altitude and terrain they were flying in which may have contributed.

Sad day. I feel for the families.

NICO

Actually, this isn't the first Chinook lost. I recall one being lost on top of a mountain during some resupply/evac mission, hit by a couple of RPGs. Also the Brits lost a Chinook in 2009? on take off, also hit by RPGs. Any helicopter is vulnerable on approach, landing or take off, especially fully loaded and at night.

My condolences to all involved.

wormhole

We've seen the development of active protection systems for tanks and armored vehicles such as the Israeli trophy system. However, I'm not aware of any similar development to protect helicopters.
Flares, chaff and possibly a DIRCM system would help defend against radar and IR guided SAMs but none are designed to thwart a dumb RPG which is what something like Trophy can defend against. One wonders how light they can make such a system so it can be mounted on a helo.

TrangleC

We've seen the development of active protection systems for tanks and armored vehicles such as the Israeli trophy system. However, I'm not aware of any similar development to protect helicopters.
Flares, chaff and possibly a DIRCM system would help defend against radar and IR guided SAMs but none are designed to thwart a dumb RPG which is what something like Trophy can defend against. One wonders how light they can make such a system so it can be mounted on a helo.
There is a promo video for the AMAP system by IBD Deisenroth Engineering in which they show a Tiger helicopter, implying that they intend to adapt their system for choppers too.
It doesn't show a prototype mounted on a helicopter though.

I only could find a soundless version now:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7oz9JXjx58&feature=related"]‪IBD Deisenroth Engineering - 4th Generation Armour Technologies [480p]‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

wormhole

There is a promo video for the AMAP system by IBD Deisenroth Engineering in which they show a Tiger helicopter, implying that they intend to adapt their system for choppers too.
It doesn't show a prototype mounted on a helicopter though.

I only could find a soundless version now:
‪IBD Deisenroth Engineering - 4th Generation Armour Technologies [480p]‬‏ - YouTube
I came across AMAP some time ago and no matter how I looked I couldn't discover what type of "directed energy beam" it uses to achieve a hard kill.. anyone know?

surpreme

I don't know what all the hype about the chinock being shot down. Its always a risk of being shot down remember this is a war. The pilots are are doing hell of a job against small arm and RPG fire. So sad about lives of Navy Seals they already know the threat when they board a chinock. It was a lucky shot by the Tabilan. It was a high risk mission anyway look how many Seals was aboard. Just read about the counter measures they trying to put on the chinock to counter small arm and RPG fire I see it still has work to be done. The insurgent had it plan out that common sense.

leoparis

hi all !

for my first post : my condolences to there familly, friend and "bloody brothers" ! tribute to there action.

I just want say that not only US soldier died in this desert land ... at the same time two "legionnaires" from 2nd REP (french para regt) died in mission in afga. And this night one more KIA and 4 WIA (19th ingineer regiment) in an ambush in Kapisa.

Cordially, Léo

P.S : excuse me for my so bad english, i'm french.

Last edited: