X-ray device that scans an entire airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplex

Banned Member
An X-Ray device that scans an entire airplane (Roboscan 2M Aeria)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKkEtGO-TSg"]RoboScan Aeria English - YouTube[/nomedia]

It looks to be something serious according to this site.

The scanner can be useful not only to find hidden things in planes but also, I believe, to spy military jets that come, for instance, at an air show in a foreign country.
I also understand that, based on such X-ray images, bullets trajectories, inside jets coming from combat missions, can be followed and it can be decided quickly whether a plane is still capable to fly another mission or it needs reparations.

My2Cents

The scanner can be useful not only to find hidden things in planes but also, I believe, to spy military jets that come, for instance, at an air show in a foreign country.
Anybody who allows someone to set this up (takes 20 minutes according to the video) and then tow one or their military aircraft through it deserves to lose their secrets. This is not a camera you can just point at an aircraft and get an image. The box on the arm is the X-ray source, the receiver is a line of modules placed on the ground, and then a remote control tow vehicle slowly drags the aircraft over the receiver and under the X-ray source suspended from the boom overhead to scan the aircraft. The whole process is rather obvious.

simplex

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In an airport, towing services are most of the time necessary to move planes around. So, any airplane can quickly end up under such a scanner, already set in its working configuration. Favorable circumstances can appear at any time.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't think visiting foreign militaries are going to be running their own security regime on any platforms they bring with them? That's an unusual perspective I must say...

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This is about as close to an F-22A Raptor as you are going to get. I don't think the USAF is terribly worried about this X Ray machine, nor would many other services worry about their platforms in this fashion...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is about as close to an F-22A Raptor as you are going to get. I don't think the USAF is terribly worried about this X Ray machine, nor would many other services worry about their platforms in this fashion...

:rolleyes:
Haven't you heard AD? The Russians are developing a new ramjet-powered X-ray machine, with superior kinematic performance to overmatch USAF security personnel at air shows... we're doomed!

Last edited by a moderator:

simplex

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bet that in 3 years X-Ray or Gamma-Ray scans of some more or less secret planes will appear on the net. Somebody will finally do it.

Regarding F-22, likely, a scanning operation is not worth the effort as long as:
Quote: "Current customers for U.S fighters are waiting to acquire the Lockheed Martin F-35, which contains technology from F-22 but is designed to be cheaper, more flexible, and available for export."

I know a rule. "A plane that is not available for export is not good."

Status
Not open for further replies.