Whats This Aircraft?

DaveS

On Google Maps, at 32.555974,-113.236792.

Just looking around at the world and stumbled across this. Can't seem to identify the plane, and the fact that its such a swept-wing on a dirt runway looks odd.

Is it just a mockup for bombing practice? Anyone got any ideas? Cheers.

ASFC

Delta Dagger?

A member ot the Mirage family?

MiG 21?

Either way it looks like a bombing range (in fact google labeled it as a range).

lobbie111

They are more than likely F-15's they are In USA i checked google earth and its more than likely that they are F-15's they fit the shape plus its near Davis Monthan so technically it could be any USAF jet fighter of any period. you may have just found something your not supposed to, its a really, really long dirt runway with no apparent base close nearby.

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
F-102 or F-106. They may or may not be real aircraft, but the wing planform is almost certainly from one of those two types.

The area appears to be a bombing/target range for USMC units based at nearby Yuma.

DaveS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the info. I'll go with F-102 personally.

I'll look in on them again at some point, see if Google Maps has replaced them with two smoking craters!

Cheers.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
looks more like F-14s to me.
Doesn't look like it, the planes have a classic arrow style delta wing so I agree with Magoo.
Here is a Tomcat on display at NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach for comparison.
36°48'29.36"N, 76° 1'13.24"W

Lostfleet

Looks like an abandoned AFB, but why there are still some aircraft on the runway, ( I will go with F102) but it might be target drones? or if it is a place for exercise bomb runs than mock-up airplane?

windscorpion

if you go down that runway there looks like an F-4 down the other end

edit: it is a firing range, the Barry M Goldwater Air Force Range in fact

Last edited: