What aircraft is this?

branmuffin

Can anyone identify this aircraft that was captured from a Google Earth view of the boneyard at Davis Monthan AFB in Arizona? I can't find a silhouette that matches. :dbanana

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
it's not likely to be a hornet

the chines are in the wrong place and its missing some critical surfaces

also, it's not the way that Hornets are bubble wrapped when they are sent to the boneyard

SpazSinbad

it's not likely to be a hornet

the chines are in the wrong place and its missing some critical surfaces

also, it's not the way that Hornets are bubble wrapped when they are sent to the boneyard
This 'not quite invisible' - now wrapped in plastic - Hornet looks to be it. When was the photo taken. I see an A-4 alongside.

Surprise! A "stealth hornet" is accidentally discovered and talk of an 80's F-15 that was almost as stealthy as F-22. - Imgur [check the photo at end of page] AvWeak 13 Jan 2014

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This 'not quite invisible' - now wrapped in plastic - Hornet looks to be it. When was the photo taken. I see an A-4 alongside.

Surprise! A "stealth hornet" is accidentally discovered and talk of an 80's F-15 that was almost as stealthy as F-22. - Imgur [check the photo at end of page] AvWeak 13 Jan 2014
I'd like to see the front of it (huge chines)

rear tails are missing for a start, so its either been turned into the same design as a YF-23 or just a straight on RCS eval - and thats not an insignificant mod (and a bit incomplete as its not a full flight model so profiles will be wrong)

compare it to any other Hornet in the boneyard (eg they are bubbled up with wings intact in case they need to be fastracked for return to service) and look at top view hornet images over davis-monthan and you can see why my original comment was made.

thats a radical cut from a standard hornet

Last edited:

barney41

Very interesting SpazSinbad.
What strikes me is that while it seems there were significant efforts undertaken that could have led to LO-enhanced -teen jets, the eventual conclusion seemed to be the that the juice was simply not worth the squeeze. Resources were better focused on the 5Gen platforms.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Why, why, why, did I bother reading that link :(

Just led onto more of the same foil hat anti-F-35 rubbish.