USS Donald Cook

alexkvaskov

Okay, I know I'm a million years behind the times, but I was wondering if anyone could help me suss out the Fencer incident with the Donald Cook earlier this year. AFAIK, it was a flyby, of which there have been many over the past few years involving Russian and American military vessels and aircraft and extremely frequent during the Cold War. So why such a big fuss? The Crimea + Ukraine backdrop had much to do with it, I assume. What really got me was some of the idiocy I encountered in Russian language sources. For instance, Russia Behind The Headlines claimed the Fencer "switched the Burke's AEGIS combat and battle management system off with its Khibiny EW system". This apparently caused a bunch of personnel on board to shit their pants and hurriedly resign. I mean, seriously, who composes this tripe? Is the domestic audience that thick?

http://in.rbth.com/economics/2014/05/15/russia_surges_ahead_in_radio-electronic_warfare_35247.html

Haavarla

Okay, I know I'm a million years behind the times, but I was wondering if anyone could help me suss out the Fencer incident with the Donald Cook earlier this year. AFAIK, it was a flyby, of which there have been many over the past few years involving Russian and American military vessels and aircraft and extremely frequent during the Cold War. So why such a big fuss? The Crimea + Ukraine backdrop had much to do with it, I assume. What really got me was some of the idiocy I encountered in Russian language sources. For instance, Russia Behind The Headlines claimed the Fencer "switched the Burke's AEGIS combat and battle management system off with its Khibiny EW system". This apparently caused a bunch of personnel on board to shit their pants and hurriedly resign. I mean, seriously, who composes this tripe? Is the domestic audience that thick?

Russia surges ahead in radio-electronic warfare | Russia & India Report
Yes there are many Pro-Putin citizens whom love reading about how strong Russia is, bla bla bla, u get the picture. Never underestimate the power of propeganda.

But what really happend, is that it was a Su-24RM buzzing the D Cook. And i'm not that sure it used any Jammer at all. The RM is a dedicated Recon unit.. if there was some Su-34 in the area well yes they could have used jammer. But really, you should take mainstream media for what it is, both Russian and US.. If you have followed the Russian Bomber mission near Alaska Airspace, the US media is also blowing things out of proporsion here.. typical headline bs.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It seems to be a global problem with the, shall I say, biased elements of the media, lots of inaccurate or often plain dishonest sensationalism that is very pro the one side of politics.

A former work colleague of mine was a devout follower of two very right wing commentators in Australia, Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt. I would often read their columns in the morning over breakfast so as to have a heads up on what I was to be lectured about during morning tea and lunch that day. He was a nice enough bloke but did not have much in the way of original thoughts so would read and listen to commentators who he knew supported his type of politics and guide him on what he should be thinking, worrying and talking about that day.
And then on the other extreme I would have family members who slavishly followed the writings of left leaning commentators employed by the ABC our notoriously left wing national broadcaster. I would often be told all about the project I was working on and why it was so unnecessary and such a great waste of money, and again I would be able to prepare myself for these upcoming conversations by watching a couple of webcasts or reading an article or two. Again no original though, just reading from the hymn book as instructed

Sadly many people are little more than, left or right wing, sheep.