US Air Force defines future stealth transport

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
US Air Force defines future stealth transport Aircraft

By Michael Sirak JDW Staff Reporter
Washington, DC

The US Air Force is inching closer to developing a future stealthy transport aircraft for special operations forces now that the requirement has been approved by the US warfighter community.

The next major step is for the concept, dubbed the Advanced Special Operations Forces Air Mobility Platform (M-X), to undergo a senior-level Department of Defense (DoD) review to authorise Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) to solicit industry teams to begin early developmental activities.

While the timetable for this review is not yet known and has taken a back seat to more pressing operational demands, AFSOC continues its preparations in co-ordination with other air force and DoD offices and has honed its vision of the aircraft, said Lieutenant Colonel Dave Shelikoff, AFSOC's chief of advanced technology planning.

The M-X is envisaged from 2018 as a vertical- or ultra-short- take-off and landing platform for clandestine transport of troops and supplies into and out of heavily defended hostile territory in all terrains and environmental conditions. The aircraft will augment, but not replace, AFSOC's fleet of MC-130 Combat Talon and CV-22 aircraft. Its agility and hard-to-detect infra-red, radar and acoustic signatures and low- probability-of-intercept communications signals will allow it to overcome sophisticated enemy sensors and surface-to-air missiles that might doom even upgraded MC-130s and CV-22s, the air force says.

Col Shelikoff told JDW that an analysis of alternatives completed in September 2004 points to an "advanced low-observable manned aircraft" as the most promising option.

http://www.janes.com/aerospace/military/news/jdw/jdw050509_1_n.shtml

US wants to have Stealth Attacker AC + Stealth Bomber + Stealth Transporter Too what other to come may be Stealth UAV :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Attila

I can see it now.....

"I'm telling you, there's a cargo plane that looks like a C-17 that is about to land on top of us."

"Radar isn't picking up any heat signatures or any aircraft."

"But its about to....arghhh!!!!"

Could a stealth transport be as simple as giving it the right paint job? I'd be pretty damn impressed if they could make something that big and also have a zero detection. The heat alone from the engines would make it easy to find, no?

Attila

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
kashifshahzad said:
Why cant you see that plane in the radar you are saying that radar dosent pick heat signatures how can you say that are you in USAF??
Just to give an example of the effectiveness of stealth.

In 1991 when the USAF was transiting F-117's to Saudi Arabia they had to divert the flight. there was only one other base that was secure enough to accept the aircraft and it was on high alert. The Saudis had gone to a war footing as they fully expected to be attacked from the south.

the lead aircraft radioed in to the control tower and asked permission to land as they had an emergency. the tower refused until they could clear it from Riyadh. The pilot explained that it was an emergency and that he needed permission immediately. At this point the F117's could see that the base "lit up" (electronically) as they were trying to find him. the controller continued to refuse.

At that point the pilot advised him that all aircraft were on finals and that he had just landed - so some 17 aircraft arrived on the most heavily alerted base in Saudi Arabia - and they didn't see them coming.

It's a documented event. "Bandits over Bagdhad"

Attila

kashifshahzad,

FYI mate, it was just a joke and no, i'm not in the US, I'm Canadian.

That story about the stealths is hilarious, thanks for sharing it!

Attila

Northax

Bah, they should just modify a B-2 stealth bomber (which is more stealthy than the F-117), to drop SF soldiers outta the bomb bays! :D

Unlikely, but it'd be funny and cool to watch. :p: Come to think of it, I'd not be surprised if they copied the design of the B-2 for their aircraft. Hmm, it's possible. Get Northrop to build this aircraft! :D

what other to come may be Stealth UAV
Go to Google images, type in: X-45, X-47a, X-47b

Those're some stealth UAVs to be built for the U.S. military.

XEROX

I was watching some program on the Discovery channel about stealth, and apparently the best colour for an aircraft is actually some sort of “pinkish†colour, can this be true;)

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Northax said:
Bah, they should just modify a B-2 stealth bomber (which is more stealthy than the F-117), to drop SF soldiers outta the bomb bays! :D

Unlikely, but it'd be funny and cool to watch. :p: Come to think of it, I'd not be surprised if they copied the design of the B-2 for their aircraft. Hmm, it's possible. Get Northrop to build this aircraft! :D

Go to Google images, type in: X-45, X-47a, X-47b

Those're some stealth UAVs to be built for the U.S. military.
In my opinion the stealth transporter must be a combination of B-2 spirit and the B-52 i mean to say is that the aircraft should have the longer range as the B-2 has and the heavy payload like the B-52 so the maximum number of parashuters or the equipment can be droped on the battle field the AC may be made from the inspiration of C-130

I didnt know the the US already have stealth UAV's may be next will be stalth cruise missiles and the ICBM's :(