Unidentified beeping sound

Wiley

Hello everyone,

For quite a while now, while watching aviation related videos on YouTube and other media sources, I have heard the same "double-beep" on board various US aircrafts including F/A-18, V-22 Osprey as well as the Apache A-64. This beep seems to go off either during takeoff or landing. At first, I thought this beep was from the EGPWS or similar systems but it would not make a lot of sense when the sound can also be heard when the aircraft is taxiing. Below is a YouTube link to an A-64 cockpit video, where the beeps are audible 13:06. What is the source of this beep? Is it the avionics or the radio and what does the beep/beeps mean?

/watch?v=BArp6RVgZ9k

Thanks for the help!

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If you're talking about the beep every time they transmit on the radio that's the tone that lets you know the radio is able to transmit due to it being in frequency hop. The beatle-beatle sound is known as, beatle beatle. I can't say for other aircraft but in the Apache, that is the tone you get when you have a master caution. Certain malfunctions will generate a female voice after the beatle beatle, such as "engine 1 out".