UAS developments and/or issues

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Catchall thread for UAS developments and/or issues

commonly called drones by the press - who also refer to APC's as tanks, frigates as battleships, LHA's as aircraft carriers and long arms as machine guns :)

Toblerone

Banned Member
How heavily pro-UAE is that weird site? Gave me a good smile reading that though :D

Anyway, it doesn't have any info or pictures on this equipment. Are these drones armed?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
How heavily pro-UAE is that weird site? Gave me a good smile reading that though :D

Anyway, it doesn't have any info or pictures on this equipment. Are these drones armed?
The article is an editorial by a UAE newspaper what do you expect? For them to be pro Iranian? Or extolling the virtues of Maoist and Stalinist thought with regard to religion? Or preaching the tenants of Martin Luther or Joseph Smith (Mormon founder)?

If you want to know about the drones go and do some research, then inform the rest of us of your results.

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Anti-UAS

Catchall thread for UAS developments and/or issues

commonly called drones by the press - who also refer to APC's as tanks, frigates as battleships, LHA's as aircraft carriers and long arms as machine guns :)
I was asked by "the guys" to come up with an Anti-UAS, as they have been doing a lot of exercises on "Swarm" attacks and stuff. So after having a bit of a think I went back to the 40mm grenade. Make a long story short, so have a gazillion other people.

At the moment we would like to test an existing 40mm Laser Guided Rocket Propelled Grenade

(see attached)

that tracks a weapon mounted laser range finder similar to this:

http://www.insighttechnology.com/products/l3/anpsq-23.png?Width=500&Algorithm=proportional

It seems really quite useful.

The next development would be a small EMP generator in the war head... We decided to call it "GIMP" :D :D (after having too much coffee) Generated Intense Magnetic Pulse.

No one knows how to do this... :unknown But that kind of thing would (we feel) disrupt a UAS swarm attack, most readily. The idea would be to make the swarm attack almost a nuisance so you can get back to the business of killing bad guys.

The other thing, as soon as you look (non classified open source search) around the industry and apply "40mm" to it, you would not believe the amount of guidance systems that can fit into a 40mm footprint. The smallest diameter that doesn't cost too much seems to be 25mm, smaller than that and the price really goes up. I thought this was interesting, particularly with Australia's land 400 competition and the caliber of weapons being offered.

cheers :D

W

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The next development would be a small EMP generator in the war head... We decided to call it "GIMP" :D :D (after having too much coffee) Generated Intense Magnetic Pulse.

No one knows how to do this... :unknown But that kind of thing would (we feel) disrupt a UAS swarm attack, most readily. The idea would be to make the swarm attack almost a nuisance so you can get back to the business of killing bad guys.
has been done - PM me

The other thing, as soon as you look (non classified open source search) around the industry and apply "40mm" to it, you would not believe the amount of guidance systems that can fit into a 40mm footprint. The smallest diameter that doesn't cost too much seems to be 25mm, smaller than that and the price really goes up. I thought this was interesting, particularly with Australia's land 400 competition and the caliber of weapons being offered.

cheers :D

W
the key kicker I believe is "flechette". You can do a lot more with a 40mm defensive round than 25mm

unfort thats another PM conversation

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
How do the analysts sift through the flood of data such systems generate? This seems to be more like finding a needle in a field of haystacks. I assume some sort of AI may be involved?
graduated sift

outside of layers of human analysts - there are algorithms in place that flag material based on what another human has set as priorities - levels of importance/interest

and there are other algorithms that look at patterns

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro