Twin Seat Eurofighter

frankstrudel

Hi

I was wondering whether a single pilot in a Eurofighter would sit in the front or back seat? I know WW1 planes in this situation would have the lone pilot in the back, so i was wondering whether convention or logic has ruled, as surely the front seat offers better visibility?

Many Thanks
Frank

Scorpion82

If just a single pilot fly the twinseater he will sit in the front seat. Though it would be possible to fly from the rear seat as well it doesn't make much sense at all.

kiwifighter300

Hi

I was wondering whether a single pilot in a Eurofighter would sit in the front or back seat? I know WW1 planes in this situation would have the lone pilot in the back, so i was wondering whether convention or logic has ruled, as surely the front seat offers better visibility?

Many Thanks
Frank
The WWI airplanes were tail-daggers. I suspect pilots sit in the back seat of tail-daggers to maintain a rearward centre of gravity to reduce the chance of a nose-over while taking-off/landing. With Eurofighter having tricycle landing gear this is not an issue. This is just an educated guess as I have only flown tricycle geared aircraft.

Also I have heard that in a bi-plane (like the Pitts special) there is bitter visibility from the rear seat as the pilot can see over the top wing more easily.

Cheers

frankstrudel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also I have heard that in a bi-plane there is bitter visibility from the rear seat as the pilot can see over the wing more easily.
I've generally accepted that as the reason for flying from the back..

Thanks for all your answers... I'd guessed it'd be from the front, but wondered anyway... thank you! :)