Thought exercise for people

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Consider the following scenario as a thought exercise: You are forming a small, civilian-owned/operated aviation company that will operate in the Caribbean. One of the capabilities you want to be able to provide is a fixed-wing aeronautical/maritime SAR resource.

What fixed-wing platform would you select? What sort of sensors would the aircraft be kitted out with? Why would that particular combination have been chosen?

Would the aircraft be able to be re-roled to provide other capabilities as needed (like chartered personnel and/or cargo airlift)?

t68

Consider the following scenario as a thought exercise: You are forming a small, civilian-owned/operated aviation company that will operate in the Caribbean. One of the capabilities you want to be able to provide is a fixed-wing aeronautical/maritime SAR resource.

What fixed-wing platform would you select? What sort of sensors would the aircraft be kitted out with? Why would that particular combination have been chosen?

Would the aircraft be able to be re-roled to provide other capabilities as needed (like chartered personnel and/or cargo airlift)?
How large an area is it to cover and duration coastal or deep ocean?

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
For a search and rescue aircraft, a turbo mallard (don't laugh, these are great planes) would be a fine choice.
I spent quite a few hours in these, computing from Darwin to remote pearl farms in the top end of Australia, in all weather, from windy dry season to monsoons wets. They land on rough fields, normal strips and of course water.
Fairly long range, and I'm sure you could outfit it with a search radar and flir.
Add to it a pretty generous cargo capacity and room to land land on water and rescue survivors on the spot, as well as room for medical staff.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...wDsMQFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw2cKpBdNKHNF6g3urYBYL7A

t68

For a search and rescue aircraft, a turbo mallard (don't laugh, these are great planes) would be a fine choice.
I spent quite a few hours in these, computing from Darwin to remote pearl farms in the top end of Australia, in all weather, from windy dry season to monsoons wets. They land on rough fields, normal strips and of course water.
Fairly long range, and I'm sure you could outfit it with a search radar and flir.
Add to it a pretty generous cargo capacity and room to land land on water and rescue survivors on the spot, as well as room for medical staff.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...wDsMQFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw2cKpBdNKHNF6g3urYBYL7A
Funny that I was going to suggest this,
https://www.shinmaywa.co.jp/aircraft/english/us2/

But I wasn't sure how to intergrate belly/ nose mounted sensor package when you consider that it can land in swells upto 3m

ASMA have a contract for SAR work and this is there choice

http://www.amsa.gov.au/search-and-rescue/amsas-role-in-search-and-rescue/challenger/index.html

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How large an area is it to cover and duration coastal or deep ocean?
Honestly, I do not know. This scenario was initiated by a question from a relative in the aviation industry who was part of the response to the Cubana 455 bombing. Apparently the aeronautical & maritime SAR response and capabilities in much of the Caribbean have not improved much from what they were back in the 70's.

I would imagine that the coverage area would start with in/around the islands of the Lesser Antilles extending east into the Atlantic Ocean, and west into the eastern portion of the Caribbean Sea at least as far as the British Virgin Islands. Basically covering areas outside of the US SAR regions as shown here.

Whether that coverage would extend as far west into the Caribbean as to cover Jamaica, Grand Cayman, or Cuba I am not sure. By the same token, I do not have any idea what sort of budget would be available for either initial acquisition or ongoing operations. At the current stage, I am trying to come up with what some of the options could be, as well as issues which would need to be considered.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Honestly, I do not know. This scenario was initiated by a question from a relative in the aviation industry who was part of the response to the Cubana 455 bombing. Apparently the aeronautical & maritime SAR response and capabilities in much of the Caribbean have not improved much from what they were back in the 70's.

I would imagine that the coverage area would start with in/around the islands of the Lesser Antilles extending east into the Atlantic Ocean, and west into the eastern portion of the Caribbean Sea at least as far as the British Virgin Islands. Basically covering areas outside of the US SAR regions as shown here.

Whether that coverage would extend as far west into the Caribbean as to cover Jamaica, Grand Cayman, or Cuba I am not sure. By the same token, I do not have any idea what sort of budget would be available for either initial acquisition or ongoing operations. At the current stage, I am trying to come up with what some of the options could be, as well as issues which would need to be considered.
Without knowing much of the requirements it’s a bit of a wishlist question I suppose. But a very popular ‘all-rounder’ in this field is the Bombadier Dash-8...

http://www.fieldav.com/media/12075/fieldav_dash8mpa_specsheet_final.pdf