Swedish Air force dont respond to Russian Bombers

Wall83

The Swedish air force has recieved hard critism after not responding to Russian planes flying near the swedish border over the Balitic sea.

On march 29 two bombers of Tu-22M3 class and four Su-27 fighters left Russia from Sankt petersburg and headed for the swedish mainland over the baltic. Only a few miles from the boarder the planes turned and completed a war exercise.

The Swedish air force tracked the planes with radars but didnt send up any of its Saab Gripen figthers. When asked why the Air force didnt respond the answer was becouse no fighters or pilots was avalible at the time.

Later it was reviled that the Awedish airforce dont have 24/7 respond any more.
Nato did however send up two danish F-16 fighters from its airgroups in the Baltic states.

Today the Swedish gournment called several military representetivs to hearing to get information about the incident.

Russian jets practised attacks on Sweden - The Local
Ryska bombplan övade anfall mot Sverige - Nyheter | SVT.se
Försvaret kallas till utskott om ryska bombplan - Nyheter | SVT.se

Haavarla

Nah.. this is mostly media spinn.
Norway Detected & tracked far more Russian Bombers flying south outside our Airspace last year. We did not intercept them each time, nor is it necessary. According to our Military spokesmen.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no real reason to intercept them. It's obviously not an actual attack, as long as the capability to intercept them in principle exists, there's no need to do it every time.

Wall83

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's no real reason to intercept them. It's obviously not an actual attack, as long as the capability to intercept them in principle exists, there's no need to do it every time.
But the thing is that they did not have any fighters to send up. Not that they should send them everytime.

Haavarla

That could very well be the same reason(budget limitation) NoAF does not send up our tired F-16 to intercept each time the Russian passing down our coast.. ;)

We intercepted about 60% of all the Russian Strategic flights in 2012. The fact we do detect and track 99% of their flights in our near airspace is more than enough. Its no goal in itself to scramble each time.

Anyway, as i said no one makes a big deal out of this in Norway.
so i think its fair to point out this case is mostly media spinn with some folks with an agenda.

Vivendi

That could very well be the same reason(budget limitation) NoAF does not send up our tired F-16 to intercept each time the Russian passing down our coast.. ;)

We intercepted about 60% of all the Russian Strategic flights in 2012. The fact we do detect and track 99% of their flights in our near airspace is more than enough. Its no goal in itself to scramble each time.

Anyway, as i said no one makes a big deal out of this in Norway.
so i think its fair to point out this case is mostly media spinn with some folks with an agenda.
To my knowledge Norway does have 24 hour QRA. Thus we do have the capability to intercept at any time.

Sweden does not have that capability. If they want to have the capability available at a given time, e.g. Sunday morning, they need to plan that ahead, and arrange for people to work extra hours etc.

LeGrig

Russian trip

There is no reason for Sweden to intercept them in international airspace.
There might of been a reason for NATO Air Police.
Do you think Russians really beleave the story of Sweden not having 27/7 capability?;)

Wall83

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But the thing is that the russian planes didnt act against any NATO member but against sweden. And so Sweden should have responded to that.

As for capability sweden has that with its 140 Gripens. As someone said I think its a budget question and that the armed forces has been a low priorety for years.

Its incredible how much the Swedish forces has just disapeard over the last 20 years. From being the largest military force in the northen europe to being one of the smallest in europe today.