Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1965a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0358a.JPG

Miramar_14_GR4_1646a.JPG

Miramar_14_LF_0221a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence







Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery





Sweden orders more Gripen fighters

This is a discussion on Sweden orders more Gripen fighters within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Sweden has decided to buy a fourth batch of Saab 39 Gripen fighters. A total of 40-60 new planes are ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old August 28th, 2012   #1
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 359
Threads:
Sweden orders more Gripen fighters

Sweden has decided to buy a fourth batch of Saab 39 Gripen fighters. A total of 40-60 new planes are to be orderd by the Saab manufacture. The new variant is the modified 39E/F variant.

Sweden to Buy 40-60 Next-gen Saab Gripens
Sweden to buy new wave of fighter planes - Radio Sweden

Sweden will split the development costs with Switzerland that has decided to buy 22 planes.
Wall83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Gripen Pictures SABRE Military Photos & Videos 13 January 5th, 2005 09:16 AM
PAF to get ERIEYE/AEW/AWACS from Sweden fieldmarshal Air Force & Aviation 183 December 19th, 2004 08:08 PM
Chinese new generation fighters, a serious challenged to USAF. Awang se Air Force & Aviation 27 October 11th, 2004 12:28 AM
Sweden May Cut JAS 39 Gripen Purchases The Watcher Air Force & Aviation 16 September 16th, 2004 12:39 PM
JAS-39 Vs Mirage 2000-5/-9 adsH Air Force & Aviation 8 May 19th, 2004 07:52 AM

Old August 28th, 2012   #2
Just a bloke
Colonel
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,526
Threads:
Are Sweden's "new" fighters going to be new-builds, or remanfactured JAS-39A/B models, of which they have about 80 odd airframes (I believe) currently mothballed?
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 359
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
Are Sweden's "new" fighters going to be new-builds, or remanfactured JAS-39A/B models, of which they have about 80 odd airframes (I believe) currently mothballed?
Acourding to this article the new planes will be new-builds.
Super-Jas blir helt nybyggt - NyTeknik

The A/B variants would be alomost 20 years when the E/F is supose to come in to service.

Switzerland will rent 8 Gripen C and 3 Gripen D untill the first E/F variants will be deliverd in 2018.

Schweiz köper 22 Gripenplan - Sverige - Corren.se - Östergötlands största nyhetssajt

Edit: So with the updating program of 31 A/B planes I gess the Swedish Airforce will have about 90-100 Gripen by the mid 2020s.
Wall83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012   #4
Super Moderator
General
swerve's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Posts: 5,614
Threads:
The A/B variants will be over 20 years old when the first E/F enters service with Sweden, according to the timetable in that article. The C/D variants will be up to 20 years old. C/Ds were delivered from 2003 onwards.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 359
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
The A/B variants will be over 20 years old when the first E/F enters service with Sweden, according to the timetable in that article. The C/D variants will be up to 20 years old. C/Ds were delivered from 2003 onwards.
True, i was thinking one decade wrong there
Wall83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012   #6
Just Hatched
Private
SignalGuy's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 9
Threads:
Good Luck To You, Sweden!

I have found Saab's Gripen to have been an interesting project to follow from it's beginnings. A competant multi-role jet with low costs, reduced maintenance, dispersed airstrip capabilities, and a design that tolerates modification and adaptation quite well. I do hope that these characteristics can be carried over to the upcoming E/F versions. Good luck to you, Sweden!
SignalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012   #7
Junior Member
Private First Class
No Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 57
Threads:
A nation of what? 9 million? And now 6 or 7 export customers?
Pretty impressive performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalGuy View Post
I have found Saab's Gripen to have been an interesting project to follow from it's beginnings. A competant multi-role jet with low costs, reduced maintenance, dispersed airstrip capabilities, and a design that tolerates modification and adaptation quite well. I do hope that these characteristics can be carried over to the upcoming E/F versions. Good luck to you, Sweden!
USAF77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012   #8
Moderator
Major General
RobWilliams's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,310
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF77 View Post
A nation of what? 9 million? And now 6 or 7 export customers?
Pretty impressive performance.
Add another potential in the form of Brazil with their F-X2 competition, which isn't as much as a wild card as some would think compared to the competition.

IIRC Saab have done a fair amoung in terms of investing in the Brazilian defence sector in terms of work on the Gripen.
RobWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012   #9
Just Hatched
Private
Krijger's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWilliams View Post
Add another potential in the form of Brazil with their F-X2 competition, which isn't as much as a wild card as some would think compared to the competition.

IIRC Saab have done a fair amoung in terms of investing in the Brazilian defence sector in terms of work on the Gripen.
I hope that Brazil chooses the Gripen, although the decision has been put off again. The [Brazilian] Air Force also prefers the Gripen; however, I suspect that the Government has already decided on the Rafale, but is trying to negotiate a better deal with the French Government.

As well as 36 fighters, a deal with France could include the purchase of 50 helicopters and help with building new submarines.

Unfortunately, I only have a link in Portuguese.
The headline says "Brazil and France to resume discussion about the sale of fighter aircraft in November".

Brasil e França voltam a discutir em novembro venda de aviões de caça - Notícias - UOL Notícias
Krijger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012   #10
Moderator
Major General
RobWilliams's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,310
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krijger View Post

As well as 36 fighters, a deal with France could include the purchase of 50 helicopters and help with building new submarines.
DCNS are already building 4 (i think is the figure) Scorpene class submarines for Brazil, with plans for cooperation for designing/building their first SSN.

Although, this chit-chat really does belong in the Brazilian Navy thread
RobWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012   #11
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Threads:
Sweden has to buy because of the contract with Switzerland. And in the Swiss press is now that they only bought the Gripen because they won't to get rid of Ruag Aviation and Saab maybe signed a deal to take over that state owned company.
Here is the story: tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz/standard/Wieso-eigentlich-der-Gripen/story/31565770 (sorry it's german, use google translate)
Zbigniew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012   #12
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Threads:
I think the Gripen E is a very bad choice to be honest. Somehow I like the idea that a small country like Sweden produces an own fighter jet. But sooner or later I think they will stop.
Norway did an open and transparent evaluation and clearly said the Gripen was far from what they asked. Switzerland on the other hand did a secret evaluation and results just leak more and more as nobody seems to understand why the Gripen was favoured to the Eurofighter and the Rafale.
According to the press conference defence minister Mr. Maurer held, he said that Eurofighter and Rafale where far better, the Gripen was only "sufficient". The evaluation process has also been criticized by a commission formed by a part of the parliament.
Zbigniew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012   #13
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Threads:
Now it has been communicated 2020 the jet will be ready (so in fact probably 2022 or so) and they won't produce a double seater version, just the E model. So Switzerland will probably rent Gripen D double seaters.
When criticized the Defence ministry said: "That took us by surprise. But that's ok, that's an advantage in combat to have more single seaters."

And it's also not sure if Sweden will finally buy so many Gripens. Voices in the air force seems to be a bit sceptic about the value they get for the money.

Strange story...

Last edited by Zbigniew; September 14th, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Zbigniew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012   #14
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Threads:
Swiss Gripen Deal: Rumors about corruption
«Hinweise auf Korruption, aber keine Beweise» - Schweiz: Standard - tagesanzeiger.ch
Zbigniew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012   #15
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 359
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbigniew View Post
Now it has been communicated 2020 the jet will be ready (so in fact probably 2022 or so) and they won't produce a double seater version, just the E model. So Switzerland will probably rent Gripen D double seaters.
When criticized the Defence ministry said: "That took us by surprise. But that's ok, that's an advantage in combat to have more single seaters."

And it's also not sure if Sweden will finally buy so many Gripens. Voices in the air force seems to be a bit sceptic about the value they get for the money.

Strange story...
That Sweden can build modern fighters is a rellic from the Cold War when Sweden relly was neutral and had to be able to produce hardware for it self.

Today this is almost gone, Sweden has more or less gotten ridd of its military becouse it has no enemy any more.
The Swedish army is pretty much none existen today, only on paper. The navy has been cut in half with a hanfull of the latest stealth corvettes and submarines left.

And this is also why there are some sceptics about the new Gripen orders. Many high defence officials meen that the money for 40-60 new Gripens has to be taken from other projects in the army and navy, and then the rest of the military branches will just disapear.

The swedish military commander has asked for 3-4 billion SEK extra per year to mantain the defences present abilitys after 2014 if the Gripen orders will go thru. So far the gouvernment doesnt seem to be willing to pay up. About 300 millions SEK a year has so far been promised.

The question is now if this will be enough.

If Switzerland doesnt buy the Gripen E Sweden most likley wont ethier.
Wall83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.