Since 2000, 19 Turk Fighter Jets Have Crashed

yasin_khan

A total of 19 Turkish fighters have crashed since 2000, killing 17 pilots, Turkish Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul said Aug. 6.

In response to a parliamentary motion by a government member of parliament, Gonul said that eight of the accidents occurred due to pilot error, six due to technical problems and five due to unknown reasons.

Gonul said that although the attrition rate for the Turkish Air Force had risen in recent years, it was still at reasonable levels compared to international standards.

http://www.defensenews.com/channel.php?C=europe

adsH

they should really consider buying some more Advance Trainers and improve and bring up there Training regime restrict access to unsuitable candidates (they should ask germany to help them in training). there maintenance and there platforms should be reviewed. they license Build Lockheed martin F-16 they should only use those and, i guess they should make sure they have enough safety checks.

P.A.F

i think thay need a little pakistani pilots to run the airforce lol :D:. well with those standard training methods and such a hugh airforce i don't blame that report for saying that.

caglars

Believe me that the training in TAF is above the world standards. It is one of the fewer airforces that can perform night mission. TAF can also perform inter-continental mission with the support of its tanker fleet and is very experienced.

Most of the crashed aircrafts were F-4s which we had some problems... They are now upgraded into F-4, Terminator 2000 class.

Most of the tragic incidents occured during the training missions which the pilots tried to perfom as in the real-combat situation.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
caglars said:
Believe me that the training in TAF is above the world standards. It is one of the fewer airforces that can perform night mission.
There are very few modern airforces that can't perform night missions - it's a basic and fundamental requirement.

I'd argue that the only nations that don't have an airforce capable of night flying are almost inoperable at a combat level anyway.

Or have you meant something else?

adsH

it is kind-off odd if an ariforce cannot perform Night missions it would be left defenceless at night open to attacks. i would imagine every nation with and Airforce can mange to incorporate night vision systems quiet cheaply into there Cockpits they may be First gen basic night-vision systems but they at-least wouldn't resort to blindly flying around in the Dark.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
yasin_khan said:
A total of 19 Turkish fighters have crashed since 2000, killing 17 pilots, Turkish Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul said Aug. 6.

In response to a parliamentary motion by a government member of parliament, Gonul said that eight of the accidents occurred due to pilot error, six due to technical problems and five due to unknown reasons.

Gonul said that although the attrition rate for the Turkish Air Force had risen in recent years, it was still at reasonable levels compared to international standards.

http://www.defensenews.com/channel.php?C=europe
Well, besides training, is there any indication of a relation between the increased attrition rate and the Turkish airforce use of older jets like the F-4 and the F-5. Or has there perhaps been an increase in operational tempo?

caglars

Come on...

By using the term "night mission" I don't mean that no airforce can fly at night or can perform defence manoeuvres in a case of enemy attack.

By using the term, I meant complicated manoeuvres, you can check out who handled most of the UN's night missions in Kosovo.

Most of the operations were performed by USAF, TAF and RAF...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
caglars said:
Come on...

By using the term "night mission" I don't mean that no airforce can fly at night or can perform defence manoeuvres in a case of enemy attack.

By using the term, I meant complicated manoeuvres, you can check out who handled most of the UN's night missions in Kosovo.

Most of the operations were performed by USAF, TAF and RAF...
I'm not sure what you're referring to as complicated. Anyone in NATO could certainly undertake precision strike missions at night - they have to if they are going to be an effective part of the NATO ORBAT. Countries aren't singled out for specific kinds of work. Specific platforms may be better suited to a night time precision role - but every NATO country gets to play in the dark in wargames. All airforces get the opportunity to get vectored to targets in the dark through either NATO's AWACs, the RAF or FAA.

Conversely, in the bad old days of the Warsaw Pact etc... the Poles, East Germans, Roumanians also were trained to attack and strike at night. daylight flying is inherently more vulnerable as the disadvantage of some farmer seeing you dawdle overhead to a target becomes more likely. Even the dumbest of farmers can identify that 4 planes were seen heading "west" etc...

I'f we're missing the point, then you better give an example of what specific missions you are implying. I for one can only think of 2-3 airforces in Europe (out of 30 odd) that could not undertake night time strike.

caglars

TAF is the first country after USA who gained the LANTIRN capability. LANTIRN is
both a targeting and auto flight pod. Many countries now use LITENING-II/III, but LITENING is just a targeting pod not an auto. flight pod.

Besides many countries only have 15-20 aircrafts with LITENING capability. TAF have 2 fleets of 60-65 aircrafts with the LANTIRN and LITENING-II/III capability.
Also can perform refueling at night.

These are few examples why TAF is one of the finest in the world.

Thanx...

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Greece: at least 25 LANTIRN navigation and 33 LANTIRN targeting pods
Israel: at least 30 (possibly 60) LANTIRN navigation and similar number of targeting pods.
Egypt: 15 LANTIRN navigation pods and 15 Sharpshooter targeting pods.
Taiwan: 39 sets of PATHFINDER/SHARPSHOOTER navigation and targeting pods for F-16A/B fighters.
Saudi Arabia: 48 sets of Lantirn/Sharpshooter pods for F15S. (Export LANTIRN: navigation pod has different optics, less terrain-following capability; targeting pod does not have ATHS or some targeting software)

caglars

The Bandirma-based Block 40 F-16s were scheduled to receive the AN/AAQ-13 navigation and AN/AAQ-14 targeting pod of the LANTIRN system. These were the first F-16s outside the USAF to receive LANTIRN pods. 161 Filo received its first LANTIRN-equipped Block 40 F-16C in February 1994. By May of 1994, seven F-16s had received LANTIRN modifications locally, and the F-16s of 161 Filo were fully LANTIRN-equipped by the end of 1996. A total of 158 aircraft were modified to accept LANTIRN. TUAF also has a well-known training system
called "The Anatolian Eagle".

Turkey has provided 18 F-16s to the allied campaign against Serbia - 11 stationed at the NATO base at Aviano, Italy, and the other seven at home. All of the planes were equipped with laser-guided bombs using the LANTIRN night-vision system. Turkish F-16s have been bombing targets in Yugoslavia, sharply increasing their involvement in the air war. Turkish jets previously had been patrolling Balkan airspace, providing protection for attacking planes. During this campaign, Turkish F-16s have set a world CAP record by patrolling for 9 hours and 22 minutes above the Balkan theatre. Normal CAP missions last between 3 and 4 hours.