Russias next Strategic bomber development

Haavarla

"Tupolev aircraft maker to develop Russia's new strategic bomber

ZHUKOVSKY (Moscow Region), August 19 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Defense Ministry and the Tupolev aircraft maker have signed a contract on the development of a new-generation strategic bomber, the company's general director said on Wednesday.

"We signed a contract this year on research and development of a future strategic bomber for the Russian strategic aviation. It will be a conceptually new plane based on the most advanced technologies," Igor Shevchuk said at the MAKS-2009 air show near Moscow.

Tu-95MC Bear and Tu-160 Blackjack bombers, Tu-22M3 Backfire long-range bombers and Il-78 Midas aerial tankers will form the backbone of the Russian strategic aviation in the next decade following extensive modernization.

However, by 2020 they will be obsolete, and the new strategic bomber will allow Russia to maintain the effectiveness of the air component of its nuclear triad in competition with similar foreign aircraft, the official said.

Russia's Air Force commander, Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin earlier said a fifth-generation strategic bomber could be used effectively in both conventional and nuclear conflicts.

"The new plane will use a wide selection of high-precision weapons, and will have a whole range of new combat capabilities, allowing it to apply new methods to carrying out deterrence tasks," he said."

Do any one have any toughts on what the RuAF next bomber will feature?

I don't see any thing near the B2, thats for sure, it will be something far more cheaper and less Stealty.
A heavly improved Tu-160 in both airframe layout and system capabilities perhaps?

Tupolev aircraft maker to develop Russia's new strategic bomber | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

Thanks

Duffy

I would guess the next strategic bomber for the RuAF would be along the lines of the Northrop YB-49. I hope Col.Gen Zelin is more concerned with the small numbers of Tu-160 at his disposal. I believe it's 16 operational plus 2 test platforms.Plus some updated maybe half. He has some holes to plug before tying up resources on a strategic bomber project. As we know time will tell
I think classifying the Tu-22 as a long-range strategic bomber is a stretch.

turin

Some news reports quoted Zelin quite specifically with saying that this aircraft would be based on a modernised Tu-160. Thats for example what avia.ru said. Rian seems to drop this line quite conveniently. So I would not expect any drastic changes in appearance, certainly not any kind of flying wing-design. It makes sense from a russian point of view, because that way there is actually some hope to get this thing operational in the timeframe specified. Any completely new design might take two decades before making an appearance, if it would ever do.

Duffy

Some news reports quoted Zelin quite specifically with saying that this aircraft would be based on a modernised Tu-160. Thats for example what avia.ru said. Rian seems to drop this line quite conveniently. So I would not expect any drastic changes in appearance, certainly not any kind of flying wing-design. It makes sense from a russian point of view, because that way there is actually some hope to get this thing operational in the timeframe specified. Any completely new design might take two decades before making an appearance, if it would ever do.
I thought there was modernization on going for the TU-160. I gave up trying to follow the Russian aircraft industry a few years go. :(

Rockstar

Russians !!!

Development of is topic to be considered sir, as science of Russia was well known during soviet era, today like all countries showing off the defense power, Russia never until full develop project.
Future generation bomber will not limit itself only till sketch, as growing economy, Russia will sure introduce some thing unexpected. Of course advance bomber will not far but it will change the way of air warfare.
And as said "Time is answer to every question"

Last edited:

Duffy

Hello Rockstar and welcome ;)

Considering Tupolev hasn't designed a bomber in over 25 years that we know of. What do you think it will look like?How long do you think it will take before we here anything about it?

turin

The bomber will not be revolutionary and it will certainly not change the face of airborne warfare. That is, what can be derived from official sources on this issue including Zelin, who should know (and he likes to exaggerate too, on occasion).

@ Duffy:

They are still modernising the Tu-160 and those planes which actually receive this upgrade are supposed to soldier on for some time. Consider that, even with a perfect schedule (which wont happen) induction of any new aircraft will not happen before 2016, and much more likely around 2020, probably later. Also this new aircraft, whatever it will be in the end, is supposed to not only replace the Tu-160, but primarily the aged Tu-95 (the ones that are conducting these patrols where they end up in rather comic photos together with F-22s these days). So there is a rather large requirement and any new plane would likely come in low numbers initially.

Duffy

The bomber will not be revolutionary and it will certainly not change the face of airborne warfare. That is, what can be derived from official sources on this issue including Zelin, who should know (and he likes to exaggerate too, on occasion).

@ Duffy:

They are still modernising the Tu-160 and those planes which actually receive this upgrade are supposed to soldier on for some time. Consider that, even with a perfect schedule (which wont happen) induction of any new aircraft will not happen before 2016, and much more likely around 2020, probably later. Also this new aircraft, whatever it will be in the end, is supposed to not only replace the Tu-160, but primarily the aged Tu-95 (the ones that are conducting these patrols where they end up in rather comic photos together with F-22s these days). So there is a rather large requirement and any new plane would likely come in low numbers initially.
I have noticed that signing a deal for 48 aircraft over 7 years is head line news. I was just being polite.:D

ghost

Russia hasn't produced anything after the collapse of USSR. Even the future of Yak-130 is in a dark shadow now. Do you really believe they can make it within 10 years? Almost no money, almost all engineers are either retired or live in USA/Germany now...

Russia hasn't produced anything after the collapse of USSR. Even the future of Yak-130 is in a dark shadow now. Do you really believe they can make it within 10 years? Almost no money, almost all engineers are either retired or live in USA/Germany now...
Things like building a new strategic bomber (or a new fighter jet) don't just get born in someone's head one day, and people hear on the news "lets build a new strategic bomber!". The planning for such projects (and historically it's been true of both Soviet Union/Russia and US) starts even before the previous gen product is produced, so it won't be like a clean start for the Russian engineers, I'm sure they have plenty of ideas and models to work with, that were detailed (theoretically) during all the years after Tu-160 came out.

Duffy

Even if Tupolev did have a complete set of drawings sitting on a shelf they could just dust off. Would they have the means and financial capability to put a design into production. The second question would be why, The Russian strategic bomber has never been anything but a delivery system for Raduga Kh-15 and Kh-555 cruise missile. For that the TU-160 is just fine.

turin

Guys, please keep in mind that they mentioned the Tu-160 serving as a baseline quite specifically. Going from there that really sounds like what they have done previously with the Su-27 and its respective modifications. Now please ask yourself how many Su-27-derivates have been presented as "new development" over the past ten years. This wont be a new plane, certainly not something that completely starts at a drawing board. The most likely thing to me seems a modified Tu-160, new engines and avionics etc., probably based on the modifications they added to the few planes currently undergoing modernisation.

As for the why...well strategic capabilities are still the mainstay and most important role of the Russian forces. Its the same as with the modernisation efforts going for the sub forces and ground-based missiles. The Tu-160s wont last forever, so there has to be a replacement. Nuclear deterrence is pretty much all that Russia has left for retaining its status as a great power. So in that light its imperative to keep strategic capabilities operational within the Air Force, its the same really as with the nuclear triad within the US forces, and I am sure that some top brass within the russian air force would like to keep their share of the cake. Otherwise they might lose relevance in future budgetary decisions.

Guys, please keep in mind that they mentioned the Tu-160 serving as a baseline quite specifically. Going from there that really sounds like what they have done previously with the Su-27 and its respective modifications. Now please ask yourself how many Su-27-derivates have been presented as "new development" over the past ten years. This wont be a new plane, certainly not something that completely starts at a drawing board. The most likely thing to me seems a modified Tu-160, new engines and avionics etc., probably based on the modifications they added to the few planes currently undergoing modernisation.

As for the why...well strategic capabilities are still the mainstay and most important role of the Russian forces. Its the same as with the modernisation efforts going for the sub forces and ground-based missiles. The Tu-160s wont last forever, so there has to be a replacement. Nuclear deterrence is pretty much all that Russia has left for retaining its status as a great power. So in that light its imperative to keep strategic capabilities operational within the Air Force, its the same really as with the nuclear triad within the US forces, and I am sure that some top brass within the russian air force would like to keep their share of the cake. Otherwise they might lose relevance in future budgetary decisions.
Here's a quote by Tupolev's CEO from the article linked below: " This year we signed a contract for R&D and construction work on PAK DA. This will be a radically new flying machine based on the latest innovations."
Then later in the article it says that the financing for the project started in 2008, adding that the work has been going on for a long time before that. Then it says it will be based on Tu-160.

Doesn't sound to me like it's an upgrade similar to Su-27 family work... It sounds to me more like MIG31 being based on MIG25, if one were to draw a comparison.

Link: http://lenta.ru/news/2009/08/19/bomber/

riksavage

Banned Member
I wonder if they will consider an unmanned platform? Long endurance without the need to include expensive systems to sustain life-support for crews. By the time the Russian's are ready to deploy a replacement some western nations will be looking at introducing long-range unmanned systems (UK-US Project Churchill for example).

Duffy

So it will be based on the TU-160, basically turan was correct. What ever they plan to do its based on a very old design." This will be a radically new flying machine based on the latest innovations." If its based on the TU-160 there not much that can be done to make it a radically new flying machine .:rolleye

Rockstar

Consider the situtation

Thanks for welcome Duffy ;)
Well it is true after fall of USSR, Russia never build any thing powerful, but if considered, Russia has ranked itself into the league of RISING ECONOMIES. And it is known that money can make and buy any thing, and considering the brains in Russia not available its truly false. As NATO is covering and circling the Russia [maximum European countries are now NATO member] and rising China, will sure lead Russia to develop something new or innovative. [no offense to anyone - or i am not favoring Russia, but friends think not only in on defense part but also political and diplomatically].
Moreover years developing countries and under developing countries are purchasing Russian weapons so we can ignore the brains in Russia. for example i don't remember but in some magazine i have read that in air show Russian build Sukio fighter jet have won hearts and standing ovation comparing to its counter part.
As world becoming multi-polar power [rising economies giving imbalance and shift in power from west to Asia] Then here thing to be consider that Russia is among rising economies and growing power.
And to demonstrate their capability and technological advancement Russian will sure i am sure they will come up with something new, no matter if they innovate tu-60 but result will be sure impressive

Last edited:

turin

@PhysicsMan:

Well there are certainly varying statements there. But the Tupolev media blurb is the only one talking about a "radically new" flying machine and as Duffy points out, thats somewhat of a contradiction to the claim that they base it on an existing design. I mean there is certainly some room to debate what "based on" means from an engineering POV but for me that sounds like the usual cheap exaggeration we are used to when it comes to Russian concepts of promotion.

@Rockstar:

Russia is certainly growing in economical terms, but there are two points to consider: first they are coming back from the very bottom of industrial and general economical development, so seemingly impressive growth numbers are to be expected, however they dont amount to much in hard cash. Second, the major economical issue in Russia is corruption, both in the private and public sectors. This soaks up a lot of money that would otherwise flow back into new investments. Both of these points mean that Russia, in real terms, will have a hard time turning its perceived growth into something useful, with the obvious repercussions for large-scale defense procurements. But I guess thats getting OT here...

Duffy

Rockstar
Things have definitely improved for the military in general in the last five years or so. There are still allot of basic needs that have to be addressed be for the government spends a billion or more dollars on a bomber program..
For the government to spend money on anything that doesn't shore up it defenses at this point would be completely irresponsible.

Rockstar

Thank you friends
I got to know great side of Russians [corruption which i was not aware of]
actually as student of competitive civil service we are studying in various things, but when find new things it is like discovery !!!!
:cool:

Duffy

I don't know if I would consider that great Rock star ," Corruption" I mean . There is a lot to be learned hear :D
Russia will be fine there is still some things that are hard to adjust to. one of the most frustrating things for people out side of the country is allot of the news that you hear contradicts previous new or endless delays. I don't think its intentional. The media enjoys its freedom as most do.The government, especially the military higher powers seem pressured at times with some of the answers when speaking with the media.
But thats way off subject and not worth a penny :smokie