Russian style Vertical tails

nevidimka

Regarding Soviet style Vertical tails. Why is it designed differently? What I mean is the Mig29/Sukhoi 27 series Vertical tails, where at the top they angle downwards instead of straight horizontal. This is not the same as any US or Western aircrafts. It seemed unique to these russian fighter.

Whats the design preferences to the the Russians, n were they designed that way? Does it give any edge?

I've always wondered about this, but never brought it up. Hope you guys know.

Gryphon

Verts?

Mig-29, Su-27 (series), F-15's all have twin vertical tails. The Mig-25, Mig-31, F-14, F/A-18, F-22 and F-35 have canted tails, the Raptor and F-35's are aggressively angled.

The F/A-18's angled tails were originally an aerodynamic fix for high angle of attack maneuvering. The large Leading Edge Extension (LEX) created an unstable vortex at high alpha, the tails were angled into them. The angle also reduced the radar cross section at certain angles, which is probably why the F-22 and F-35 adopted the configuration.

The Mig's and F-14's angles are so slight and the aircraft are such RCS barn doors anyway, can't think the decision to go slightly off vertical was an RCS move. More than likely they had an aerodynamic reason as well.

nevidimka

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, but you have completely misunderstood me. I did not mean the angle of the vertical tail to the body of the aircraft.
Rather, i was asking about the shape of the tip of both Mig29/SU27 which are not straight like western planes. I've only seen this type of design with These 2 russian planes n not any western ones.

Gryphon

Whoops, hate it when that happens ... :unknown

Good call, there are some Western planes with non-horizontal top edges, like the Etendard but they are the exception.

The Mig-29 doesn't have lights up there on the crown, and the control surfaces are much lower - so actuator clearance isn't an issue. I don't see any instrumentation, probes, antennas ... either. The feature is either for aero-stabilization or purely style.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
We would have to ask Russian aerodynamicists to make sure. The tails must be a Russian trademark since the Mig-25 and Mig-31 also sport the same shape in their vertical stabilizers.

The tail shape is also pretty close to the missile tails found on the Standard SM-2 missile. These tails are classified as "cruciform trapezoidal" tails and are characterized by the fin tip which ends at a point. This tip reduces vortices and thereby reduces induced drag adding to efficiency especially at supersonic speeds.

On the Russian airplanes the downward angle after the leading edge makes the point at the top of the vertical stabilizer. Most likely the Russians are concerned with vertical stabilizer drag at higher speeds. The Mig-25 and Mig-31 are speed demons and every bit helps.

nevidimka

Wow, i thought i'd get the answers if I posted here. Interesting to know not many ppl know why it is shaped that way. If u claim it is to handle speed, then how about Mig29/Su27 which are also dominant in subsonic speeds?

And yes the Mig25/31 and Mig23/27? also have similar edge on thier vertical tails. I hope it continues into their future fighter planes design notable PAK-FA.

Personally, I also feel its a uniquely russian style n also a good 1 at that, coz I really like it.

crobato

The Su-30MKK/MK2, and the entire Su-35/37 series all have their tops of their tails all straight.

This kind of disproves that the angled tops are some sort of Soviet or Russian style; that its an unanimous and consistent pattern; and that there is some aerodynamic reason behind them.

nevidimka

Treu about the su30 series, but i think that was more of trying to increase the vertical tail surface area on an already proved tail design.

crobato

The tips of elevators and rudders are used for antennas. The difference/sameness of the shape of the tips might reflect the commonality or differences of the electronic equipment.

nevidimka

Sorry, are you saying the tip shape has to do with commonality with the type of electronics used?
I was looking at some pics, n all i can see are the equipments probably RWR at the trailing edge of the Vertical tail, but the tip of the Vertical tail does not seem to have any electronics in it. IN the case of MIg29/su27 series, the tip seems to extend further from a straight Horizontal cut n then angle dowards for the unique look.

So i'm still confused as to why this is so on Russian planes. Sadly we dont have any Russian Aviation experts in this board.