Russian MIG-29 Shoots Georgian UAV

Falstaff

Nice video. Here's an article about the affair.
I think the russian assertions don't sound very convincing. They probably did shoot down that UAV for simple bullying someone who can't defend himself. Not a nice move.

Mods, perhaps this thread could be moved to another location than the photo section?

Mod edit:

The point of the thread, I think, is to show this media file, hence it seems appropriate to keep it here to me.

The matter can still be debated here for those who are interested.

Regards

AD

Last edited by a moderator:

Viktor

Excellent move ... good to se MIG-29 can find that small RCS UAV .. excellent movie and shoot .. most probably R-73 :)

ghanz

Russians shot down Georgian Spy plane!!

Russia shot down Georgian Spy plane over breakaway Abkhazia region.

source: bbc/europe
news.bbc.co.uk

Dr Freud

This is outrageous! Russia first violate Georgias airspace, then proceed to shoot down their un-armed aircraft. Whats next , airliners in neighboring countries ?
No wonder all those countries want to join NATO.

More importantly, NATO has a moral responsibility to accept Russias neighbors into NATO.

windscorpion

Well its a very interesting situation, though why say it was an L-39 if they have got Flankers? The video looked very much like a twin-tailed fighter (though the light can play tricks). To be honest i've seen the Flanker suggestion already but it looks more Fulcrumish to me.

Where actually was the drone when it was intercepted, is there any reliable third-party info on that?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dr. Freud that's Abkhazian airspace, not Georgian. Georgia is the one bullying small independent nations with it's military buildup. Secondly the Abkhazian air force is the one claiming the kill.

XaNDeR

zero chance of that actualy happening , why would RuAf come right infront of the camera wait to get such a nice position then shot it so close if it could aswell shot the missile way beyond visual range???

ROCK45

Seemed staged

I would assume the camera would have 360’ view or close to it but I also question why wasn’t a radar missile used or at least take the shot from further out? The white smoke you see from the missile coming off the launch aircraft seem to last all to the target, wouldn’t that have started burning clearer after a few hundreds yards after the launch? Why didn’t the UAV try to turn? I know the missile could pull 30+ Gs and the UAV or what ever it was had little chance but wouldn’t a little effort be made. The other thing I notice is the missile how it dipped a little and then sort of popped up and made the hit. To me at least from such a short shot the rocket motor in the missile would have been building up speed and wouldn't have dripped when it did. The only dip from such a short short would after dropping from the wing right? It seemed a little staged to me maybe somebody with experience with Russian made air to air missile launchers could shed a little light on this.

Atilla [TR]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfRHMbz2nuU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfRHMbz2nuU[/ame]

Here is the video from the UAV looking at the missile that caused it's doom. What I do not understand is, whether or not Ahbakzia is still Georgian territory?

Last edited:

ROCK45

Missile

After looking at the video about 20 times the dip isn't as low as I first thought and the missile appears to building up speed when it hits. I still think the thick white smoke should clear a bit but maybe the range to target is that short. I just found this story about the topic.

Russia, Georgia trade accusations over spy plane

By MIKE ECKEL – 8 hours ago

MOSCOW (AP) — Tensions between Russia and Georgia escalated Tuesday as both sides traded accusations days after an unmanned Georgian spy plane was shot down as it flew over the breakaway Black Sea region of Abkhazia.

Moscow denied it shot down the spy aircraft and accused Georgia of violating U.N. resolutions by using unmanned planes to spy on Abkhazia.

Georgia claimed Russia was beginning a military buildup and moving to annex the region, which has had de-facto independence from Georgia for more than a decade.

Georgia said video footage recorded by the plane before it was shot down Sunday shows the attacking jet was a Russian MiG-29 — an aircraft Georgia's air force commander said neither Georgia nor Abkhazia has.

Georgia also said radar showed the jet took off from a former Russian air base in Abkhazia and few into Russian air space after shooting down the spy plane.

Russia's Foreign Ministry, however, said the Israeli-made Hermes pilotless plane was shot down by Abkhazian air defenses. Abkhazian officials say it was one of their L-39 jet that brought down the plane.

The ITAR-Tass news agency quoted an unnamed Russian air force official as saying it would absurd to use a MiG fighter jet to shoot down a spy plane: "You could shoot it down with a slingshot. Abkhazia has enough of its own anti-aircraft tools to complete that mission."

But video footage provided by Georgia shows a jet with twin-tail construction_ something that makes MiG jets distinctive from the single-tail construction of the L-39.

Georgia is pressing the United Nations to take up its claims of Russian military aggression in Abkhazia. The U.N. Security Council is scheduled to hold a closed-door meeting Wednesday to discuss Georgia's accusations.

Georgia's Deputy Prime Minister Giorgi Baramidze was in Britain on Tuesday for meetings with lawmakers, officials and media, seeking international repudiation of the weekend incident.

Tensions between the two countries have increased over Abkhazia and another separatist region, South Ossetia. Both have close ties to Moscow and both have been run their own affairs since the early 1990s when fighting with Georgian forces ended.

Russia has tacitly supported the regions' autonomy, granting their residents citizenship, supporting the ruble as the currency of choice and other measures. President Vladimir Putin recently ordered his government to increase cooperation with both regions and lifted trade restrictions for companies doing business there. Those moves have incensed the Georgian leadership.

Russia also is vociferously opposed to Georgia's efforts to join NATO, and has been wary of Georgia's moves to tighten ties with the United States.

Moscow on Tuesday accused Georgia of violating international law.

"The flight taken by a reconnaissance aircraft, which could also be used to direct fire, is a violation of the Moscow agreement on the cease-fire of May 14, 1994, as well as relevant U.N. Security Council resolutions," the Foreign Ministry said.

But Georgia shot back, accusing Russia of beginning an "alarming military build up in the conflict region."

"The recent steps of the Russian Federation are clearly directed toward the annexation of a part of sovereign territory of Georgia," Georgia's Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Associated Press writers Misha Dzhindzhikhashvili in Tbilisi, Georgia and Ruslan Khasig in Sukhumi, Georgia contributed to this report.

Link
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gAa5fmFrSvKn0--5w11Uz2FRMpJAD9072K3G0

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So could the experts here shed some light on whether the video could be fake? I mean the MiG-29 did for some reason get very close to the UAV, and almost posed in front of the camera as it took the shot.

Also Abkhazia could be in possession of Su-27 Flankers, and attempting to hide that fact, or at least keep it out of the public eye (hence claiming the L-39 shot it down).

Thirdly Georgia said it tracked the MiG-29 back to across the Russian border. If they really have that kind of evidence why has it not been presented?

Fourth, this isn't the first time a Georgian UAV has been shot down over Abkhazia. Last time it was done by the Abkhazians. Why is this the time that either Russia chose to intervene, or Georgia chose to try to frame Russia?

Atilla [TR]

Thirdly Georgia said it tracked the MiG-29 back to across the Russian border. If they really have that kind of evidence why has it not been presented?
They do there is a radio on Youtube with the Georgian general talking about how the plane lifted from Akhbazia and landing in Russia he has the radar evidence to prove it.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course, but is the evidence going to be presented to anyone, or is that all just talk?

Atilla [TR]

Of course, but is the evidence going to be presented to anyone, or is that all just talk?
Watch this whole video please he has the evidence right in front of him. Near the end he shows the radar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCWkfgz-6us"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCWkfgz-6us[/ame]

merocaine

I think this is another warning to NATO not to get involved in Georgia, its a way of saying do you really want to get involved in this kind of sh*t with us?

As someone said the MIG posed for the camera, the Russians wanted to leave no doubt that they consider the Georgian breakaway regions their territory.

Whatever they say in public the proof is in the pudding.

BTW that is the coolest video I have seen in a long time:cool:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Posed for the camera?
The UAV has a nearly 360° camera capability. The MiG could only guess were the camera is pointed during it's attack run.

I am no expert but isn't it harder than one might think to actually shoot down an UAV. These babies should haved a very small RCS and they fly very slow. Hitting very slow targets is not that easy with a jet which has a higher minimum speed than the UAVs maximum speed.