Russian Helo Exports

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a thread for all news regarding Russian exports of helos.

I made this thread, after running across a reference to deliveries of 2 Ansat helos to Laos. It was strange, because I couldn't find other sources to back it. Has anyone else come across anything? The deal was made in 2009. The contract is mentioned in multiple sources, and deliveries were supposedly planned in 2009, along with deliveries to Kazakhstan (which I also can't find references to).

Here's the source (in Russian): ÖÀÌÒÎ / Íîâîñòè / Äìèòðèé Ìåäâåäåâ îáñóäèò â Ëàîñå øèðîêèé ñïåêòð âîïðîñîâ äâóñòîðîííåãî ñîòðóäíè÷åñòâà, â òîì ÷èñëå â ñôåðå ÂÒÑ

They bought 12 Mi-17s in the 90s, which makes perfect sense, but the Ansat purchase seems very strange.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Russian sources confirm both. DefenseIndustryDaily confirms the Peru contract.

Haavarla

Well, this is something of an unexpected move.
Yes Iraq bought weapons from SU before, but i thought there was greater chance for Cobra or some other Western choppers.. Apache perhaps..

Was there ever a Tender on this? Did Apache prove too costly?

Whats next then, a Mig-29 deal?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a 4.2 bln USD contract for pantsyrs, Mi-28N, and possibly MiG-29M.

Haavarla

Thinking about this deal, what most surprising is that the Mi-28N is not battle proven or matured like other attack helios.
So why did Iraq go for such a deal without any Tender then?

Is it the sum of the total package and cost related, or is this political motivated?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thinking about this deal, what most surprising is that the Mi-28N is not battle proven or matured like other attack helios.
So why did Iraq go for such a deal without any Tender then?

Is it the sum of the total package and cost related, or is this political motivated?
The US has actually purchased refurbed russian helo's for the Iraqis over the last few years. They've done so because of the existing skillset base, and the fact that they (the US) had a whole pile of russian gear already in stock.

US companires have refurbed and maintained their russian gear to date

It would be a natural progression in the logistics chain to stay with russian gear - so not surprising

Haavarla

Makes sence. But isn't there a huge difference in those Mi-8/171 and the Mi-28N in systems and complexity.

Its not USAF that will train Iraq pilots and service these units, but Russia this time.
And it would require a support deal in the longer run as well, if its not included in this deal.

Wonder how Russia care about deliver their latest toys right in the hand of "US observers"..

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Makes sence. But isn't there a huge difference in those Mi-8/171 and the Mi-28N in systems and complexity.

Its not USAF that will train Iraq pilots and service these units, but Russia this time.
And it would require a support deal in the longer run as well, if its not included in this deal.

Wonder how Russia care about deliver their latest toys right in the hand of "US observers"..

USAF had no involvement on prev sales and support

they were all serviced by private US contractors (as was pilot training)

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Believe it or not, Iraq did get USAF pilot support for training which came to conclusion in 2010. Maintenance has continued to be performed by US contractors. I will not be surprised when they end up with additional US platforms that have not been announced.

If and when they get Mi 28's I would not expect the OR rate to be very high, not specifically the fault of the airframe.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Believe it or not, Iraq did get USAF pilot support for training which came to conclusion in 2010. Maintenance has continued to be performed by US contractors. I will not be surprised when they end up with additional US platforms that have not been announced.

If and when they get Mi 28's I would not expect the OR rate to be very high, not specifically the fault of the airframe.
I was only aware of the Contractors - so news to me on the USAF trg role :)

I was under the impression that the Iraqs were about to inherit some US gear over the next 2 years,

I know we are leaving some material with them and assumed that others in the coalition will be as well.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a notable amount of commonality in terms of onboard equipment, and spares, between advanced Mi-17s, and Mi-28N/Mi-35M. More then one would expect. There's also the interchangeable munitions.

Just an minor correction. The US has purchased new built Mi-17 helos, not refurbs.

Also, the Peru deal hasn't actually gone through yet. The military has officially requested the money from the finance ministry, but as I understand no contract has been signed. Also, CAST confirms the sale. Pilot training and weapons are included in the contract which is ~480 million USD. This will bring their total numbers to 30 helos, all of the Mi-171Sh variant.

bmpd -

Could you elaborate? Russian companies are traditionally bad at post sale support, but Rosvertol seems to be pretty good about it.

nevidimka

He means that when they get the new russian gear, its gonna be sitting on the ground on maintenance a lot longer than they would be flying.

Btw, Its quite a surprise iraq is going for the latest russian attack helicopters, but still is an upgrade over the old hind's, with its latest technology, and looks like a substantial international sale for the Havoc's.

Btw, what russian gear do US companies have and service in iraq? I would think that it would be maintained by iraqi who has the know how or russian companies themselves?

And about the Mig29, if this 1 goes through, does it mean iraq wont be getting any american fighters to form the front line of their air force?

With all the oil money I suspect price is a problem for them right?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Btw, what russian gear do US companies have and service in iraq? I would think that it would be maintained by iraqi who has the know how or russian companies themselves?
american companies have been rebuilding and refurbing Mil8 Mil17's that were seized during GW1 and GW2 and then handed back

AFAIK there have been some avionics upgrades made to some to enable them to talk to euro installed ground systems

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
He means that when they get the new russian gear, its gonna be sitting on the ground on maintenance a lot longer than they would be flying.
Yes, I understood that. I was wondering why he thought that.

Btw, Its quite a surprise iraq is going for the latest russian attack helicopters, but still is an upgrade over the old hind's, with its latest technology, and looks like a substantial international sale for the Havoc's.

I don't know about Iraq, but in Afghan I've seen pics of private contracts operating the Mi-8 series helos. I'm sure some private contractors use Russian/Soviet small arms.

And about the Mig29, if this 1 goes through, does it mean iraq wont be getting any american fighters to form the front line of their air force?

With all the oil money I suspect price is a problem for them right?
They're already getting F-16s.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Feanor, the nicest way I can say this is that aviation maintenance (or aviation period) there has not matured. Part of this is due to resources and part of it is cultural. I'm talking about airframes that are fairly simple by todays standards. Hard for me to imagine how they will keep up with something like the Mi 28.

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I don't know about Iraq, but in Afghan I've seen pics of private contracts operating the Mi-8 series helos. I'm sure some private contractors use Russian/Soviet small arms.
The command I was deployed to over there was involved in the acquisition of these aircraft. The Afghan Air Force ended up mostly with Russian aircraft (although some contractors do use them as well). They're all Mi-17s (cannot speak to which type) with a few Mi-35s as well. The Mi-35s are supposed to become the go-to CAS aircraft for over there, but I don't know if that will ever happen to the extent that's hoped for, to be honest. The Mi-17s were there to provide tactical lift and support, and they'll do fine (IIRC, they were essentially designed to operate in Afghanistan anyway).

The logic behind going with the Mi-17 was that they were more rugged and durable and could survive with a less robust maintenance system than Western systems and the Afghans had familiarity with them previously (both sides were still using them into the 2000s in the Civil War). They were acquired from Russia and Ukraine, mostly, with a few other former Warsaw Pact nations providing some others (and also providing some great training and support for both us and the Afghans in starting the process up). Some of the dealings with Russia in particular (and Rosoboronexport in very particular) led to a lot of "interesting" encounters. :mad: Some of these travails of these encounters are detailed in an
Link removed due to Malware on the linked site

Overall, it was felt that if the AAF got Russian equipment, they still might be flying them in 5-10 years, with or without our support. Using Western equipment, they'd be parked on the tarmac permanently within a year unless we were there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you say Mi-35, you're talking about export variant Mi-24s right? Not the new built Mi-35Ms?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
When you say Mi-35, you're talking about export variant Mi-24s right? Not the new built Mi-35Ms?
I can't see the Russians selling the Afghanis anything based on their curr tech - they're already wary of ISI knocking off IP on behalf of the Chinese.

Afghan intelligence is as porous as a vegetable collander