Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures




Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence








Royal New Zealand Air Force

This is a discussion on Royal New Zealand Air Force within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; On a related note, the KC-390 is coming to visit on it's way home from the Paris airshow: Following its ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.62 average.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6001
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 178
Threads:
On a related note, the KC-390 is coming to visit on it's way home from the Paris airshow:

Quote:
Following its attendance at the Paris air show, where the new type is due to be in the static line and also participate in the flying display, the aircraft will visit undisclosed additional European nations before heading for New Zealand. Wellington is in the process of selecting new transport and maritime patrol aircraft.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...uation-438231/
htbrst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6002
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 832
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by htbrst View Post
On a related note, the KC-390 is coming to visit on it's way home from the Paris airshow:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...uation-438231/
That suggests Embraer still think they are in with a chance. I don't fancy their odds, but am very impressed at the way they have kept their programme on track - they certainly deserve to make some sales.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN194278
Given Portugal is looking at 5 aircraft, the price they are offered should be a good indication of what the price to NZ would be.

An acquaintance in the advertising world recently mentioned a rumour that a Brazilian aircraft manufacturer was looking for a large wall near Molesworth St in Wellington to put up some kind of display or billboard. This is right next to Parliament and the NZDF HQ, so it isn't hard to guess what they will be advertising!

UPDATE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLU...CTZIljxOK6uyaw

The Embraer YouTube channel has lots of KC-390 footage for those interested.

Last edited by 40 deg south; 1 Week Ago at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added youtube link
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6003
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 832
Threads:
Asia Pacific Defence Reporter : APDR June 2017, Page 1

Asia Pacific Defence Reporter has a piece on the NZ transport and surveillance aircraft replacements. No starting revelations for readers here, but a good overview of the process.

You need to supply an email address to register, but there is no other cost.
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6004
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marton NZ
Posts: 501
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConservative View Post
The .82 Mach figure was only used as contextual example by an Embraer sales manager in making a point during an interview with an Australian journalist with respect to the capabilities of the KC-390 which like C-2 and C-17 does not quite make that benchmark anyway. It is an impossible requirement especially in the context of cruise speed and carrying for example a 12000 kg payload on a trans-oceanic hop.

If there was such an essential requirement other than a desirable requirement for the strategic solution only the mid size commercial variants like the B767 could manage it. No tactical options could manage it nor could the P-1 or P-8 which also fall short on cruise speed if it was also a FASC requirement.
The remark was in respect of the FASC and the suitability of a KC390 MPA version to cover these requirements and it was not stated whether this was cruise or burst speed. It was not aimed at the FAMC. I did see it reported else were but this may have been a copy.
Interestingly, while there is a request for a possible sale of the P8 lodged in the US. we have not seen any for the C130J yet. The time line for the C130 replacement is quite tight.

Last edited by Rob c; 1 Week Ago at 11:32 PM.
Rob c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6005
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 832
Threads:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...l-tour-438336/
Quote:
After Paris, the KC-390 will embark on an extensive sales tour, during which it will visit potential operators in North Africa, the Middle East and Southeast Asia, although the only nation on the itinerary that it will explicitly confirm is New Zealand, where the twinjet will visit the main air force bases at Whenuapai and Ohakea in mid-July.

Embraer has responded to requests for information for both Wellington’s future air mobility and future air surveillance capability requirements, intended to replace the Royal New Zealand Air Force’s Lockheed Martin C-130, P-3K2 and Boeing 757 fleets.
Embraer still hopeful.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-waves-438322/

Japan still pushing P1.

Lots of news from the Paris Air Show at the usual sites.
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6006
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 832
Threads:
FAB Receives New Plane for Search And Rescue; Aircraft Has Specific Technologies and Functionalities

If by some miracle NZ could afford a light transport/2nd tier surveillance capability, the C295 would be a handy piece of kit. It is certainly gathering a fair pool of users with a wide range of added sensors.
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6007
Moderator
General
ngatimozart's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,002
Threads:
Lockheed Martin has revealed another C-10J variant; this time one aimed at SOF. It is suggesting that NZ is a potential customer for this variant.
Lockheed reveals customizable C-130J for international special operators

Also the article stated that they think the RFP for the FAMC will be issued next year.
________________
The Rules - read them. Ignorance of them is not an excuse.
The Introduction thread for new members to tell the rest of us something about you.
ngatimozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6008
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 290
Threads:
An armed C130J with a 30 mm cannon would be a fantastic addition to support NZSAS operations. I will be surprised if a fully kitted SOF C130J gets the nod but it would be a truly specialized contribution to allied coalition operations. A niche capability well suited to a small force like NZ.
Novascotiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6009
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
t68's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,567
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novascotiaboy View Post
An armed C130J with a 30 mm cannon would be a fantastic addition to support NZSAS operations. I will be surprised if a fully kitted SOF C130J gets the nod but it would be a truly specialized contribution to allied coalition operations. A niche capability well suited to a small force like NZ.
For the very few aircraft that RNZAF will acquire I doubt they would go to the extreme of fitting the 30mm, all that would be additional cost and not so sure that they will go that far. Armed overwatch would be a good addition and may also provide enough synergy to conduct additional MPA aircraft

From memory they are after a mulinrole machine which can conduct AAR both deliver and receive, I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning but it does give the C130 extend range (still not comparable with A400M as it also has the capabilty) but the KC-130J allows to self offload on the ground(A400M also)

I guess what it all boils down to how much emphasis does RNZAF place on the oversize load ability of the A400M over the evolved special mission variants of the C130J family
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #6010
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 308
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
For the very few aircraft that RNZAF will acquire I doubt they would go to the extreme of fitting the 30mm, all that would be additional cost and not so sure that they will go that far. Armed overwatch would be a good addition and may also provide enough synergy to conduct additional MPA aircraft

From memory they are after a mulinrole machine which can conduct AAR both deliver and receive, I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning but it does give the C130 extend range (still not comparable with A400M as it also has the capabilty) but the KC-130J allows to self offload on the ground(A400M also)

I guess what it all boils down to how much emphasis does RNZAF place on the oversize load ability of the A400M over the evolved special mission variants of the C130J family
My guess (my hope) is that they will give preference to more capability in the bread and butter role over specialised niche capabilities. Overwatch, without the airsupport capability, will hiopefully be provided by other future platforms.
kiwi in exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #6011
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,148
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngatimozart View Post
Lockheed Martin has revealed another C-10J variant; this time one aimed at SOF. It is suggesting that NZ is a potential customer for this variant.
Lockheed reveals customizable C-130J for international special operators

Also the article stated that they think the RFP for the FAMC will be issued next year.
This seems rather similar to the USMC 'Harvest Hawk' package, though I note the Harvest Hawk, includes a simgle refuelling point, on the opposite wing to where the 'weaponised' wing station is located, allowing a refulleing capability at the same time as armed overwatch and all the bread and butter C-130J capabilities, making it a very flexible platform indeed.

I think RNZAF would be well-served by such mission flexibility, but time will tell.
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6012
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 832
Threads:
https://combinedmaritimeforces.com/2...in-two-months/

Interesting article about international anti-trafficking work in the Indian Ocean. NZ's MPA contribution is covered.
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6013
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 832
Threads:
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/ai...nergies-kiwis/

At the Australian Strategic Policy Institute's blog 'The Strategist', a defense journo talks up the synergies of NZ buying aircraft already in service with Australia.

Fair points, and something that Wellington will be well aware of. However, he doesn't address the capability gaps that a C-130J purchase would leave in the absence of a larger lifter.
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6014
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
t68's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,567
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 deg south View Post
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/ai...nergies-kiwis/

At the Australian Strategic Policy Institute's blog 'The Strategist', a defense journo talks up the synergies of NZ buying aircraft already in service with Australia.

Fair points, and something that Wellington will be well aware of. However, he doesn't address the capability gaps that a C-130J purchase would leave in the absence of a larger lifter.
That's also assuming the RAAF stay with C-130 on the future, we should be kicking off replacement program in 10-12 years time
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6015
Senior Member
Brigadier General
John Fedup's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,988
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
That's also assuming the RAAF stay with C-130 on the future, we should be kicking off replacement program in 10-12 years time
How old are your current C-130Js? By kicking off, do you mean actually taking delivery 15 years from now? The RCAF C-130Js were delivered between 2010-12 so they will be remaining in service for at least 30 years given our procurement mess.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.